SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 01:05 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation Window Problem

I've been researching about this for a long time, so spare me the "search button" comments. Most threads I saw were never updated how they fixed the problem, and the DIY's doesn't seem to apply to my problem.

Okay, here's what happened; I detailed my entire interior around November last year. Right after I detailed my driverside panel, the window stopped going up. It was my first time ever detailing my interior since I got my SC, so it was incredibly dirty and required me to use a lot of the cleaning chemicals, so I'm pretty sure the wiring and what not were soaked. I was able to close my window by pushing it up while pressing on the switch. It worked for quite sometime, before finally stopping a couple of months back.

At first it would still go up and down, and work flawlessly whenever the weather was warm, and wouldn't work at all when weather was cold which got me thinking it could be the grounding like a lot of people have cited. But most of the time, when its already down, I need to smack the top exposed part of the glass with my fist so it would move up and close. I tried rewiring the grounding but still no luck ever since it completely stopped working.

Based on some research (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong);
- it couldn't be the regulator since its holding up the glass. From what I understand, if the thing in the regulator that holds the glass snaps and breaks, nothing else is keeping the glass in the same position therefore it would fall all the way down the tracks.
- not too sure if its the motor or switch. When I press on the switch, the lights don't dim like they used to. I don't feel the motor moving. I don't hear anything happening at all.

My passenger side window is working, although, it moves noticeably slower ever since I detailed my interior. It developed a squeaking sound after the detail, but went away after some time.

Can anybody tell me what else should I look at? How else should I check the parts? I don't wanna replace anything that isn't clearly the problem, so please don't suggest replacing this and that without clearly informing and explaining to me how you think it is the problem. Thanks in advance people. Need this done ASAP as I cannot finish my tint.

Last edited by OG Dada; 06-24-12 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-24-12, 01:15 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem, but on my old Accord. The motor was fine, the switches were fine, and all the wiring looked fine. But I found the problem at the wire harness just after it enters from that rubber grommet that is attached to the door and to the body. The contact terminals were all corroded and only worked well when it was hot, but would stop working when it got cold. Once it got corroded enough, it just stopped working most times. I had to unclip the harness and douse the it with battery cleaner and rinse it out a couple times, then added lithium grease to prevent future oxidation and to improve the electrical conductivity. It worked in fixing that issue for me. You might also want to check inside that rubber hose the wires run through to make sure they're not kinked and rubbed through causing a short.
Old 06-24-12, 01:19 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

^^^Thanks. Sincerely noted. I noticed that the rubber grommet that should protect the wiring that go from the interior to the door is also ripped.
Old 06-24-12, 11:08 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Okay, so no one else have any idea what's going on on mine?
Old 06-25-12, 07:33 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed.. i have the same problem. need to fix this its sooooo annoying
Old 06-28-12, 11:14 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

lets swap my regulator/motor into ur sc and see what happens?
Old 06-28-12, 11:57 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Test the terminals, the switch and the motor and post results.
Old 06-29-12, 12:17 AM
92Garntprl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My window makes noise and rolls down but won't roll up....its driving me crazyl like its not grabbing the window BC when it goes down it just free falls after about half way
Old 06-29-12, 02:25 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92Garntprl
My window makes noise and rolls down but won't roll up....its driving me crazyl like its not grabbing the window BC when it goes down it just free falls after about half way
Check your regulator.
Old 06-29-12, 02:48 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where is the regulator?? and what does it look like(got a pic)? i have the EXACT same problem as the op(window will not roll up)!!
Old 06-29-12, 04:11 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Possible broken wire in the rubber boot area?