SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

"Hot Swappable" Cluster Blacklighting

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 12:58 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you are referring this pic I posted in another thread. I don't know if this is accurate for all years with bulbs - I know Lexus switched the needle polarity from 94 to 95. This is my old 95 auto cluster:

Old 11-01-12, 01:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

lol, I didn't realize it may have been you that posted that, I thought it had the polarity shown on each socket because my first attempt was to use those wedge led's and you have to know the polarity on each one. My first attempt I got maybe like 5 of them right before I realized what was going on, but for running 2 series of lights, that right there should do it. keep up the modding.
Old 11-02-12, 08:58 AM
8052JZ
Lexus Test Driver

So I was searching around and came across a RGB strip with controller and remote and from looking at the pic, the remote has the option for brightness or "Dimming". This will be nice for those that would like to adjust the brightness of the led. It is 26 bucks but it’s in cali, so it should arrive at your door within a few days. Also, the plus side is you get a 5m roll instead of 1m. That way you can do ALOT more with it if desired. I was thinking to do a strip for the floor light along with maybe the glove box. Only thing is it will be a pitta to get all that wired with them all being in different locations.

LINK

my questins is though, when you hook up a switched 12v power to the controler, do you still need to "power on" the LEds with the remote or do they power on when the key is turned to ACC?

Last edited by 8052JZ; 11-02-12 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 09:51 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 8052JZ
So I was searching around and came across a RGB strip with controller and remote and from looking at the pic, the remote has the option for brightness or "Dimming". This will be nice for those that would like to adjust the brightness of the led. It is 26 bucks but it’s in cali, so it should arrive at your door within a few days. Also, the plus side is you get a 5m roll instead of 1m. That way you can do ALOT more with it if desired. I was thinking to do a strip for the floor light along with maybe the glove box. Only thing is it will be a pitta to get all that wired with them all being in different locations.

LINK

my questins is though, when you hook up a switched 12v power to the controler, do you still need to "power on" the LEds with the remote or do they power on when the key is turned to ACC?
This whole thread is awesome by the way. That unit looks pretty cool, I like that it has a dim controller. I'm guessing I can use this controller with the pure white LED strips?

Last edited by Clean400; 11-02-12 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 09:54 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 8052JZ

LINK

The controller remembers how you had it set when you killed its power. I keep the controller in my ash tray for when my mood shifts, but yes, it will power on when it gets power again without the need to use the remote each time.
Old 10-21-13, 07:23 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Update... It's been over a year since I did this to two cars and they both still work perfect even with cheap A$$ China LED's.
Old 04-26-15, 07:20 PM
GISguy
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Bumping this super old thread but it seems you're still around! I was wondering how you set the cluster up for testing? Specifically, which pins did you apply 12V and ground to in order to light them up? I'd love to test the LEDs on my cluster on my desk in my bedroom rather than awkwardly try/test/try/test in my drivers' seat.
Old 04-27-15, 05:38 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GISguy
Bumping this super old thread but it seems you're still around! I was wondering how you set the cluster up for testing? Specifically, which pins did you apply 12V and ground to in order to light them up? I'd love to test the LEDs on my cluster on my desk in my bedroom rather than awkwardly try/test/try/test in my drivers' seat.
I'm not sure I understand your question. The LED controller is fed off a different 12v supply than the cluster, so there are no pins to energize in the cluster for testing.
Old 05-27-15, 08:09 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I finished mine finally, it's so sweet!!! One problem though, i hooked it up to a wire in the cluster harness, turns out that wire only runs power to the P light, so when i put it in R, N, D, 2, or L the lights turn off lol. So i gotta find a different power source in the harness, i wanna keep it clean.

https://youtu.be/sRGsqkI7ML8