SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-12, 12:32 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor

Well, there are no DIY when it comes to removing seat motors so I decided to figure it out and post a DIY.

This DIY is specifically for the rear tilt motor that is located towards the front of the seat. The instructions should be the same for the front tilt motor because both front and rear tilt motors have the same part number!
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03913.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03914.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03915.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03917.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03918.jpg  

Old 04-28-12, 12:33 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

reserved for more pics
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03919.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03920.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03922.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03923.jpg   HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03925.jpg  

Old 04-28-12, 12:36 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Last picture.
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor-dsc03926.jpg  
Old 04-28-12, 02:03 PM
Mikhail21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks!!!! ive been looking for one of these for ever! nice write up!
Old 04-29-12, 01:26 AM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

step 5 is a pain
Old 04-29-12, 02:08 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimmyXthai
step 5 is a pain
I agree, I lost the lock ring after it popped off, I have no idea where it went so I have to go to the dealer to buy a new one
Old 05-17-14, 06:30 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Anyone know if the same process is required to open up the passenger seat? I have it out of the car (replacing the seat back tilt motor) but am stuck there. Is that tool in Step 3 a wrench or just something to pry the buttons away? Peering in there, I don't see anything that looks like it should turn. For that matter, I don't see anything in Step 4 above that looks like it unthreads, so maybe I should just risk prying them away...

Last edited by t2d2; 05-17-14 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-17-14, 06:51 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Back tilt motor is on the bottom part of the backrest. It has 3 x 10mm nuts. You will need to remove the cover at the back of the backrest then take out those switches / screws holding the switches and wraparound plastic of the seat to gain access to the 3 nuts.
Old 05-17-14, 08:45 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
Back tilt motor is on the bottom part of the backrest. It has 3 x 10mm nuts. You will need to remove the cover at the back of the backrest then take out those switches / screws holding the switches and wraparound plastic of the seat to gain access to the 3 nuts.
Oh, so the seat doesn't need to be removed? Good excuse to vacuum under the seat at least. How do you remove the backrest cover? I haven't looked into that yet.
Old 05-18-14, 12:30 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

To answer a couple of my questions:

1) The power control buttons on the side of the seat pry off easily, no special tool required.

2) The seat's back cover has two screws along the bottom and two clips low on the sides. There's also something holding it in place up top that I haven't figured out yet. It feels like more clips, but it's putting up quite a fight and seems like it's in danger of breaking with how much force I'm having to apply. It would be nice if someone could confirm if I'm going about it wrong before that.

I assume the release lever on the side comes off some how? Otherwise, I can't figure out how to get the plastic trim piece off from under it.

Last edited by t2d2; 05-18-14 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-18-14, 06:19 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wanting to swap out all that junk for some supra seat rails.
Old 05-18-14, 07:18 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by t2d2
Oh, so the seat doesn't need to be removed? Good excuse to vacuum under the seat at least. How do you remove the backrest cover? I haven't looked into that yet.
Originally Posted by t2d2
To answer a couple of my questions:

1) The power control buttons on the side of the seat pry off easily, no special tool required.

2) The seat's back cover has two screws along the bottom and two clips low on the sides. There's also something holding it in place up top that I haven't figured out yet. It feels like more clips, but it's putting up quite a fight and seems like it's in danger of breaking with how much force I'm having to apply. It would be nice if someone could confirm if I'm going about it wrong before that.

I assume the release lever on the side comes off some how? Otherwise, I can't figure out how to get the plastic trim piece off from under it.
* No you don't have to remove seat to remove backrest tilt motor. Just took one motor out last week for someone here who needed the motor.

* Aside from the two screws at the bottom , that backrest has two clips on top .. slide the backrest upwards (or downwards ..don't remember well now...lol) .. careful, otherwise you will damage the clips , taking it out of its rivets on the wooden part of the backrest.

* yes release lever has to come out before that plastic wraparound can be taken out. If I remember right , it has a wire ring lock.

* backrest cushion is also fastened by plastic tie knots and has to be out to gain access to tilt motor.
Old 05-18-14, 09:16 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Bingo! The seat's back cover has two big metal hooks at the top. It takes a bit of force, but pulling down on the cover will get them to release. Good thing I stopped last night before trying to wrestle them straight out!

However, I don't see any way to get to the lock ring on the release lever without major disassembly of the seat bottom... I guess that's the same as Step 5 above for the driver side, but access to it on the passenger side looks more limited. Unless there's a way to fold open the bottom of the seat rails to gain access to it, I think this project is over my head. I may just have to live with a non-working tilt motor for the rare time I have a passenger.

Doesn't the seat have to be taken out of the car in order to remove the 3 screws that attach the plastic lower trim surround to the underside of the seat? (See Step 2 above.) And to get to the lock ring, for that matter.

I did manage to remove the connector from the motor while in the seat back. It was tricky, but I got the plug disconnected with a paint can opener, using the claw to reach around to the outside edge. I tested the terminals with a battery and the motor is dead as a doorknob.

Oh, and that someone was me. Working my way through the parts I bought from you that arrived yesterday...
Old 05-18-14, 01:01 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

^^^ oh shoot , lol, bad memory. Now I remember. I even left you a positive feedback a day or two ago. hahaha.. my bad , sorry.

Taking out the seat will be better since you will have more space to take out screws and will see better what you are trying to take out.

It is not really hard once that seat is out of the car. You will have better access too on those 3 nuts holding that tilt motor that is fastened on that bottom corner of the backrest.

At least you have confirmed that your motor is bad so it is worth doing all the work since you already have the replacement motor.
Old 05-18-14, 01:35 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

No worries.

I already have the seat out of the car...

I'm not entirely convinced the lock ring that I can see is what's holding the release lever in. I think it's actually the arm that connects to th tension spring that's holding it in place. And there's no way whatsoever that I can get to that lock ring, so there's got to be a different approach.

I'm wondering if the car you took the motor off of is a later model year with a different means of access? Mine's a '94, and the steering wheel motors I bought from you are the wrong ones (my bad, I should have noticed the blue vs. white connectors, but I thought they're interchangeable for all years), either '95-00 or '98-00 from what I've seen.

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Remove Seat Motor