SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How long will it take me, with expenses set aside to MOD my 5spd Sc300

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 09:40 PM
EliteICind
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will it take me, with expenses set aside to MOD my 5spd Sc300

I think with whats goin on in my life, I really just want my turbo dreams back..So.. In August, I plan to take a 10 day vacation on stackin my SC to transport it to where I have moved to in FL and go exploring with the SC on the weekends for the car scene. I'm not sure if I want to have it painted in IL or FL or have shops work on any it. I will have funds to pour 10 grand on my 95 Sc300...5spd. First thing is installing the single ball bearing turbo 2jz and having it all prep before had of course and have it painted charcoal gray faded into white on the passenger side. How quick are some of you guys could you hypothetically do, which Im sure if you hit the lottery of any of yall thats what you would do is by car Mods??

Let me divulge, Im divorced and single male in FL, with daily Bimmer, and sc300 on 19TSW variano, stance coilovers in the garage in IL.. Isnt that where the sexy females ARE AT? The Car Scene by the Beach or bodies of water??

Last edited by EliteICind; 04-11-12 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-13-12, 12:54 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm a former FL resident and I can't really comment on the car scene but it's out there. Certainly there is a scene for any of the more well known 90's Japanese turbo car engines in almost any vehicle, let alone any JZ powered cars. I just drove and modified my cars.

Seems like you're partway into your build. $10k is a fair amount to do what you want. Don't worry about the paint. Just focus on the rest of the suspension, bushings, brakes and whatever other cosmetic restoration you feel you want to get into after you budget your turbo setup/swap. An LSD is necessary, which will run you about $1k. Also LS400 front calipers so you can actually stop with all that power.

With roughly $8k from that amount you should have enough to do a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE swap with an R154 unless you want to spend a similar amount building your NA engine to get it right. Look into the forced induction forum for info on that.

I'd take your project car with you to your place of residence and get to work on it.

Women are everywhere. An SC300 is only attractive to car people and people who love horsepower in the same way an old mid-70's Plymouth with a V8 is only without the same cachet.
Old 04-13-12, 06:49 PM
EliteICind
Rookie

I Appreciate your insight on my goals for the summer. I do plan to do the straight forward 2jz swap and r154 seems as they are more readily available. I do have ls400 calipers, stance coil overs on 19 TSW varianos, new LCA and battery relocated to the trunk... Other than those things, I plan to fully revitalize my SC300 to unique and show status but driven daily/weekend warrior. The LSD and seems like it will be the most difficult part for the r154... Any suggestions where I can purchase the part?

I figure after acquiring all the parts, not the body I can assemble the car within one week to three weeks, granted everything install smoothly...
Old 04-16-12, 11:40 AM
KahnBB6

Sure, man.

2JZGTE and R154 swap are well documented and common.

If you're looking for an R154, just keep looking in the SC classifieds here or on Supraforums. They are around. You can convert an MKIII Supra R154 transmission too. Takes a bit more conversion (bell housing, VSS sensor, possible rebuild due to weak 1st gear thrust washer, and the shifter extension) but that's always an option. There is also a thread with people experimenting with a version of the R154 that was used in the Pontiac Solstice GXP and Saturn Sky Redline. That's also some specific conversion but to my knowledge it works as a bleeding edge swap that doesn't have FAQ status yet.

For LSD's, you just have to check classifieds constantly down to the hour and be lucky and willing to pay when you get the chance. It's not a cheap part of the performance pie no matter what your plans are but I highly recommend one. If you're going to do much more than 400hp the Supra Torsen will do the job easily but may not be the best choice in Florida's rainy weather because of how it reacts to traction loss in anything but dry conditions. Look into a numerically lower Lexus rear end and a TRD 2-way LSD if you're going to go for serious horsepower. There are some good threads on SF regarding the Supra Torsens vs other LSDs.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-24-12 at 08:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-16-12, 03:59 PM
sayayin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are closed to miami you can find the 2jz and r154 for less than 4k and the rest leave it for paint and swap job unless you do it yourself.
Old 04-16-12, 08:18 PM
EliteICind
Rookie

im two hrs from Miami... thxs for you help yall

I need enough HP to stay with the New skylines, I wonder how much I need to stay or beat a Skyline... I have seen a few in FL and IMO thats the best auto to purchase stock... So... I need my SC to be right around there.. Not a day goes by where I dont think about me and my sc boosting 27lbs with the right stance and CARPC bangin the beats out!! I just hate to go back and redo installations or getting the wrong parts or any other mishaps... Planning, Planning, and more patients

Last edited by EliteICind; 04-16-12 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 09:11 PM
Cleet
Rookie

Supra auto TT torsen LSD is like 3.76 and matches well with r154 gear ratios since the 1jz/r154 soarers came with like 3.74 factory gear. I picked up my complete auto TT diff with 0 miles on SF classifieds for less than $800 shipped... think I might have gotten lucky on that deal though. Great bolt in mod that only takes maybe 45 minutes.
Old 04-17-12, 08:02 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Cleet
Supra auto TT torsen LSD is like 3.76 and matches well with r154 gear ratios since the 1jz/r154 soarers came with like 3.74 factory gear. I picked up my complete auto TT diff with 0 miles on SF classifieds for less than $800 shipped... think I might have gotten lucky on that deal though. Great bolt in mod that only takes maybe 45 minutes.
A lot of people like the 3.769:1 Supra TT Auto ratio with their R154's but Soarers did not have those gears from the factory. All 1JZ/R154 Soarers actually came with 4.083:1 Torsen LSD differentials. And supposedly those were Torsen T-2's, not the twitchier T-1's that accompanied all MKIV Supras.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-23-12 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Again, 3.769 was intended but my brain must have scrambled over the course of a day and misquoted the TT ratio.
Old 04-17-12, 08:25 PM
Cleet
Rookie

Not what I found but I won't say I know for a fact or have never been wrong... but for stock gearing choices on a decent HP turbo car I wouldn't necessarily want anything taller or shorter.
Old 04-17-12, 08:33 PM
KahnBB6

Not what I found but I won't say I know for a fact or have never been wrong... but for stock gearing choices on a decent HP turbo car I wouldn't necessarily want anything taller or shorter.
I understand and I'm not arguing the gear ratio preference-- I think you're right. "Decent" is probably subjective in this case as the Soarer TT's getting 4.083's probably had more to do with the stock power level and 2.5 liter displacement. They weren't initially intended to be modified the way we do today so they got aggressive gears to balance out their streetability. With serious power 3.769's make more sense and are already available with an LSD from another OEM application, although harder to find. The original intention of Toyota's engineers isn't to most people's benefit any longer when turbos are upgraded as one of the first actions following a swap.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-23-12 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Minor typo: 4.769 was actually intended to be 3.769 at time of writing. Toyota never made a 4.769!
Old 04-17-12, 09:23 PM
Cleet
Rookie

It's 3.76 not 4.76 if you want to make your point valid. Not being a ****, just saying. Usually 3.50 something to 3.70 something is best bet on a higher HP turbo car.
Old 04-17-12, 09:48 PM
Cleet
Rookie

If you're wanting to street race skylines though I'd forget about a manual trans and do a big HP 2j with a 4l80e auto trans street brawler... since you're talking like you have the $ to do whatever.
Old 04-23-12, 04:20 AM
KahnBB6

It's 3.76 not 4.76 if you want to make your point valid. Not being a ****, just saying. Usually 3.50 something to 3.70 something is best bet on a higher HP turbo car.
Wow... I actually DID say 4.769:1 TWICE in this thread. Thanks for pointing that out! I must have been pretty scrambled to do that. Yeah, not a real Toyota ratio, unlike 3.769.

I'm honestly curious though, what application can we get a 3.50(ish) ratio from?
Old 04-23-12, 04:13 PM
Cleet
Rookie

Nothing OEM for the SC that I know of without researching... a Cobra IRS swap with the stock 3.55 gear would work great but don't see anyone doing that swap due to the $ and work since we already have a strong bolt in option.
Old 04-25-12, 09:28 PM
EliteICind
Rookie

Well being that its 2012, I could either do the twin turbo BB with bolt ons, but the SCs that have the luxury of getting JUICED are fortunate or to have nice OEM style sleeper is Great and all, Or you could wait till 2013 and new rides could be produce better choices..

Who wouldnt want to trade in there SC for Telsa Model S electric car or a new FT 86 or some BMW efficient ride...

But seriously do you know how good turbo feels and getting kitty is with ur Dawg in the backseat, and you maybe could bring another lady too?

Last edited by EliteICind; 04-25-12 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: How long will it take me, with expenses set aside to MOD my 5spd Sc300