SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Has your SC ever left YOU stranded?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 12:16 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has your SC ever left YOU stranded?

Just curious, these cars are starting to show their age, but if well maintained, will run better than newer cars.
Although, that isn't the case with most SCs, some were mistreated by previous owners, some by both current and previous owners. Leading me to this, has your SC ever left you stranded?
If it has, did you see it coming, for example, fluid leaks, check engine light, rough idling, acting sluggish.
Or did it happen even though you're on top of your motor game?Add what caused it to die on you while on the road too
Old 04-07-12, 12:51 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup. 1st day i bought it my car broke down due to the ecu. the used dealership got me, they reset the car and 3 hours later i was on I-75 broke down going back home. that ecu problem lasted quite awhile trying to troubleshoot and replacing parts until i had it rebuilt.

than i went to the beach spontaneously without changing my oil when i knew it was leaking, it leaked to much oil and the car blew up. was stranded yet again.

but in next 2 weeks or so i am finally gonna have my car pulled out of storage and sent to a shop than hopefully i will never be stranded again!
Old 04-07-12, 12:58 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cousin set his 94 SC300 5spd on fire 2 days after he bought it. He washed his engine bay then continued to limp it home. After going only one mile, the catalytic converter got so hot it set the rubberised coating underneath the car on fire. He pulled over in a neighborhood where someone just so happened to be watering their garden. Eventually a fire truck showed up and after dowsing the bottom of the car with water for about 10 minutes, the thermometer the fire fighters had was saying the temperature of the cat was still 1200°f.
after having it towed to my house, we found that the honeycomb inside the cats had disintegrated and all 3 o2 sensors were literally melted and of course the spark plugs were demolished. A couple days later we replaced the spark plugs, plug wires and o2 sensors and punched out the cats. And because my cousins registered address is in a city that doesn't require emissions, he was still able to get the car registered.

Last edited by MattStarr; 04-07-12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 01:15 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Although my SC had every possible common problem SC's have, due to previous owner parked it for 3 years, my SC has never ever left me stranded. There were like 3-4 times I couldn't use it, but I can't really blame it 'cause I was fixing it but just didn't have enough time to finish it the same day.
Old 04-07-12, 01:37 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
Although my SC had every possible common problem SC's have, due to previous owner parked it for 3 years, my SC has never ever left me stranded.
Mine too! The only common problem mine currently doesn't have is the lights in the needles and tach work LOL.
Old 04-07-12, 02:15 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yuup about 3 times. First I ran out of gas on the freeway, luckily I was able to coast down the off ramp and ran the red light to make a right and turned into a Wal-Mart parking lot, but thats my fault. 2nd was also my fault, drifted into a curb at 30MPH and mangled all my suspension components, limped the car 1/4 mile to a friends house. 3rd was just this past monday, driving the road at 8:55PM and the car completely died, motor, lights, everything turned off.
Old 04-07-12, 02:56 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyboxx
Yuup about 3 times. First I ran out of gas on the freeway, luckily I was able to coast down the off ramp and ran the red light to make a right and turned into a Wal-Mart parking lot, but thats my fault. 2nd was also my fault, drifted into a curb at 30MPH and mangled all my suspension components, limped the car 1/4 mile to a friends house. 3rd was just this past monday, driving the road at 8:55PM and the car completely died, motor, lights, everything turned off.
That happened to me also, just when I rerouted the wiring harness, so I figured it was just a loose connection of the wiring.
Old 04-07-12, 03:01 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Yes every time its fixed...
Drove the **** out of it the day I bought it and everything seemed great...second day of owning it the water pump grenades(it was nearly in 3 pieces) car overheats, and head gasket gives up the ghost.

back on the road two weeks later, everything seems cherry and as I try to start the car after work. Nothing. ECU took a dump.

Leaky caps fixed, car seems ok, then suddenly dies anytime I shift out of park...bad fuel pump.

Finally a week ago I spun a rod bearing...as soon as I heard it I went straight for the dip stick and yes, it had oil(dafuq??)

I have decided I will NEVER buy a car from a girl again. On the bright side I will have a fresh bottom end and roughly 400 miles on everything else soon.
Old 04-07-12, 03:50 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
That happened to me also, just when I rerouted the wiring harness, so I figured it was just a loose connection of the wiring.

Mine ended up being a completely dead battery, coincidently when that happened I put it into neutral and there just happened to be a Autozone, and I was able to coast in the lot, and had Autozone test the battery. Just got a new battery yesterday and everything works fine. But I do need to relocate the harness before anything else happens.
Old 04-07-12, 04:23 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

You guys scare me. Hopefully I have better luck with my sc.
Old 04-07-12, 04:41 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

She never left me stranded. 245,000 miles and she's the best. The alternator failed me due to the power steering switch, but I was able to get her home and ready for the next day!
Old 04-07-12, 04:47 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Original, and still, owner of a 1992 SC400 purchased new in Dec 91. The car has never left me stranded.
Old 04-07-12, 05:01 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Original, and still, owner of a 1992 SC400 purchased new in Dec 91. The car has never left me stranded.
WOW! ^^^

Mines only left me stranded twice, when the tension pulley broke and when the battery died. Nothing major.
Old 04-07-12, 05:54 PM
V8KLLA
Driver

Sadly, a couple times.

Once at work, i came out to the parking lot, car started, died 10 secs later. Then it would crank and crank but no start. Towed it home, after weeks of trying different things, turned out it was the fuel pump ECU. I bypassed it and BAM, back to running like a champ.

2nd time, i was driving normally and the car just shut off. Same symptoms, cranks but no start. I check the bypassed wires, still connected. Turned out my fuel pump had fell off of its bracket and the hose came off, thus no fuel was reaching the engine.

Other than that, it has been running pretty strong. I honestly run the car VERY hard and it has 180K, so all in all, id have to say its pretty dang reliable.
Old 04-07-12, 06:36 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

yupp

10char

Quick Reply: Has your SC ever left YOU stranded?