SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint Advice Needed! Repairing/Fading/Sanding..(pictures inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-12, 12:54 PM
deputy865
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Advice Needed! Repairing/Fading/Sanding..(pictures inside)

Alright, first off let me say that repainting my whole car really isn't an option. I don't have the budget for that.. well not a big enough budget to please me. I have paint guns and a compressor, but I prefer not to paint things myself because I am by far no where near an expert. I'd probably make things look worse lol.. I'm not looking for perfection, just looking to make my car match. Its really dirty in the pictures, but when everything is cleaned up, you can really see the color differences.

My current paint on the car is actually pretty nice, minus some quarter *** efforts from the previous owner. There are a few spots that I would like to "work" to make it blend in with the rest of the car.

First things first.. My front and rear bumpers appear to have been painted with color matched paint. They were painted very nicely, but the previous owner didn't account for 17 years of sun fade. So what can I do to blend this? Its not TOO far off, but far enough...

Next up is my trunk. The wing looks to have been painted. Same problem, its not faded and it appears to have some clear coat fade or something. Its ugly. I also have some over spray on the trunk itself. Can simple wet sanding take care of this? annnnd lastly, anything I can do about that rust spot? Its hideous? (Previous owner painted over it......)

And last but not least, my mirrors. These look to have the same issue as the wing. Color matched paint, not faded and some clear coat wear or something..

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 03-29-12, 01:18 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the whole painting thing, unless you know what you're doing, you're going to make it look a lot worse. You're better off to find someone that paints on the side. Painting really isn't that hard as long as you take your time with it.
As for the rust spot, it needs to be sanded down until there is no more rust. Then the whole panel needs to be resprayed. You might be better off to find another red trunk for cheap.
as for the clear coat peel, thats what it is. The clear coat is gone in those areas. It needs to be sanded down and resprayed.

Honestly, if your paint is a factory color, you are going to be better off to find the same color car and rob the panels off of it. Unless you know someone who can paint and paint match for cheap. Which is rare and hard to find. Paint matching is hard to do, especially with red.

If I was you, I would learn how to paint, and repaint the whole car back to that factory color. Paint and supplies are $600 around here and that $600 gets your base, clear, pearl, and primer. That was the quote for my white pearl paint from the IS-F...
Some buffing would do the car wonders to get rid of that "fade" in the OE paint.
Old 03-29-12, 01:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

To get it to look to your specifications, the whole car need to be sanded and resprayed. Nothing you can do at this point in my book to get it closer, but painting with a different formula. I wonder if the previous owner used a camera lens to color match your original colors match. The clear coat is also coming off, nothing to stop that either, except paint and reclear it. JMO
Old 03-29-12, 01:19 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
To get it to look to your specifications, the whole car need to be sanded and resprayed. Nothing you can do at this point in my book to get it closer, but painting with a different formula. I wonder if the previous owner used a camera lens to color match your original colors match. The clear coat is also coming off, nothing to stop that either, except paint and reclear it. JMO
Haha beat ya to it Mark! Must have been miliseconds!
Old 03-29-12, 01:23 PM
deputy865
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****.. Figures doesn't it.. I suppose I could try to buff and wax everything but the mismatched parts.. See if that helps any.

We have the stuff to do it, guess it wouldn't hurt to try to learn to paint...
Old 03-29-12, 01:25 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Learning to paint REALLY isn't that hard. I spent about 10 hours researching how to do it. Reading forums, watching videos, everything, and I can paint pretty decent. Its really ALL in the prep and after work that makes the paint job. And you are going to have to cut into the paint before just buffing it. It needs "paint correction."
Old 03-29-12, 02:23 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practice on something.. something that wont bug you as long as you have a good eye for paint it wont turn out too bad. as a kid I always fixed up my dirtbikes.. quads and they turned out great just from a spray can. grew up learned more THE INTERNET IS YOU FRIEND ended up doing a few projects.. friends truck got a job painting constructions equipment for a bit. Ended up doing a 56 chev truck just for a base coat for a friend and it turned out great (after sanded and buffing ) pick a project hell even your shed... rusty lawnmowers.. snowblower etc. etc.
Old 03-29-12, 03:34 PM
nsjuice
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to first wash that thing so we can better assess the paint quality.

The repaints look like a one stage paint coat, or rattle can even...then again .. cant tell because it's so damn dirtay.