SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Does this car hate me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 05:08 PM
lmfod
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^ maybe its possible you could just get away with 12 volt mod? Rough luck man. It gets the best of us
Old 02-11-12, 05:25 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would still need a functional fuel pump with clean fuel filter even if I did the 12v mod correct?
Old 02-11-12, 05:36 PM
Kayasith95
Driver

be glad at least your car didnt quit on you in the middle of an intersection
I would check the fuel pump first before messing with the ecu
Old 02-11-12, 06:30 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ud def still need a working fuel pump/filter but a quick try of the fuel pump ecu mod would at least rule that out and its a very simple mod to perform. I would give it a shot first before anything else since its free and is as simple as cutting and reconnecting a wire..
Old 02-11-12, 09:31 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
It felt like no fuel being sent to the motor. The pedal "feeling" like cables or tension was fine. Wouldn't have been a big deal if I was by myself. But to danger my woman is a bad thing. Of course her immediate response was "I hate this car, you need to sell it".
I hear that all the time...especially if a group of young girls are her bro say they like it. I had a similar prob once, sea foam and plugs fixed it. Plus i ended up being 1 tooth off!
Old 02-11-12, 09:36 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Maybe you got a bad distributor? was it brand new or reuse? It totally sound like what happen to my civic and replace the distributor, cap, spark wires and plugs. Runs good now...
Old 02-12-12, 08:56 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by horent135
Maybe you got a bad distributor? was it brand new or reuse? It totally sound like what happen to my civic and replace the distributor, cap, spark wires and plugs. Runs good now...
I had a brand new distributor, plugs, cap, rotor, etc replaced in May of 2011. I might have put 5,000 miles on the car since then. At the same time I replaced the timing belt and waterpump.

Either way the car is being towed today to one of my trusted independent mechanic shops. I'm sure it will cost me an arm and a leg whatever it is. Oh well, fight to live another day I guess. Unfortunately I can't afford a second car because I spend hundreds on maintenance issues each month. It doesn't help that I have the mod fever either.
Old 02-12-12, 09:11 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

I had a brand new distributor, plugs, cap, rotor, etc replaced in May of 2011. I might have put 5,000 miles on the car since then. At the same time I replaced the timing belt and waterpump.

Either way the car is being towed today to one of my trusted independent mechanic shops. I'm sure it will cost me an arm and a leg whatever it is. Oh well, fight to live another day I guess. Unfortunately I can't afford a second car because I spend hundreds on maintenance issues each month. It doesn't help that I have the mod fever either.
Seriously... Just sell it, man. Get an SC that isn't totally cursed.
Old 02-12-12, 09:19 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh. I lean towards the sell it recommendation myself. I am biased though, because I too find myself growing tired of dealing with the problems inherent in a 20 year old hot rod. Much like the marriage you mentioned before, you have to ask yourself if the car brings you more joy, or grief at the end of the day. Once I get to the point that a car is a major stress factor in my life, it is no longer fun and I sell it. Just my .02. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 02-12-12, 11:48 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it has been mentioned a million times before every time you make these threads how your mechanic was just throwing parts at car without diagnosing the car so the majority dollars you waisted you should blame your mechanic and not your car timing belt water pump radiator is just regular maintenance

Old 02-12-12, 12:36 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I know you've described it like 10 times already but try to be as detailed as you can about exactly what it did and how the pedal felt. Also what were the conditions like, as in, outside temperature, were the roads wet or dry, was it raining, snowing ect.

The reason I ask is because my cousin just had something very similar happen to his 94 SC300 5spd last night that I have already figured out. Hopefully youre having the same problem.

Last edited by MattStarr; 02-12-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 01:39 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a ecu problem. my sc400 did the same thing than one day the electronics turned off with my throttle. from there it was an on and off battle of finding what was wrong with my car for 4 months. got my ecu rebuilt and everything was gravy until...well my motor went boom lol.
Old 02-12-12, 02:15 PM
xdoubts
Driver School Candidate

Try replacing your fuel filter and spark plugs , then if you haven't replaced them ignition coils , since you got them car , its time to do soww , my car had similar problems , give that a try before the shop gets your money . Best of luck
Old 02-12-12, 02:35 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xdoubts
Try replacing your fuel filter and spark plugs , then if you haven't replaced them ignition coils , since you got them car , its time to do soww , my car had similar problems , give that a try before the shop gets your money . Best of luck
What ignition coils?, don't give people wrong
Info seriously
Old 02-12-12, 03:10 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Plugs are 5,000 miles old

Main ECU was replaced last year as well

Temperature was 41 degrees outside

Perfectly sunny, but cooler day

Car would "bog" down every 1/8 of a mile. The accelerator pedal would be pressed down with no power being sent to the motor. No cel, indicator lights, etc. Car would suddenly "get juice" and take off with no problem. Then, another 1/8 mile down the road it would do the same thing again. It didn't feel like a misfire because it would suddenly "die" for 5-6 seconds then it felt like the engine received "gas" again and would act fine. When I hear cars with misfires, it sort of reminds me of the WRX subaru exhaust sputter sound. The engine sounded fine to me.

Car was towed this evening to one of my mechanics. They will look at it tomorrow and perform a fuel pressure test. Hopefully it's just a quick fuel pump and filter swap

Can't sell the car. I paid $6,000 for it two year ago and have over $5000 in maintenance alone. Then add in mods, tires, etc it adds up really quick. My biggest mistake was buying an older car with minimal mechanical experience, and not owning a reliable daily driver on the side. I'm sort of stuck right now because my debt to income ratio is getting close to even due to home ownership and other priorities.

Quick Reply: Does this car hate me?