SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sleepyboi's '92 SC300 Rebuild thread....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 04:19 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleepyboi's '92 SC300 Rebuild thread....

Background Story/info:

So I've been on this forum for umm probably close to 10 years now. I originally bought a new '01 GS300 back when i first started college. Had tons of fun with her, but she has been gone for over a year now. I ended up selling her and getting a 2010 camaro SS. which btw was really fun, got her up to 450 rwhp NA. but the way it ended was ugly, and long story short, my oil pump failed (known problem from chevy, but refused to fix mine on account it was 1k out of warranty when it happened and also because of the mods to the motor) So i ended up rebuilding the motor and off it went to carmax. So looking for a new project, i decided to rebuild my brothers sc300 (some of you old school guys might know him as Wolfy187), that has been sitting around and wasnt running.

I inherited my brothers old 5 spd SC300 with a NA-T from toyomoto out in florida. However the car hasnt been running in a couple years and there were a ton of problems. Problems started after he brought it back from the east coast and went to this shop called dyno extreme down in oc somewhere. The car just never ran right after that.

So now its been at my friends shop, slowly waiting for parts and rebuilding.

I think its been there for 4-5 months now.

Goals for Step 1 of rebuild: Decent interior/body/suspension and 350ish RWHP.

1) Had a spun bearing in the motor when I got it, so i found a low mileage 2jz-ge and decided to do cp pistons while i had the motor out. Read around and apprently the GE rods are good and should hold the power that im looking for (eventually when im done 500ish rwhp). I re-used all the whole turbo setup that was already in the car. Thinking of getting some new piping couplers, since the ones on there are pretty beat up looking.

2) the ecu/piggy back that was in it was all sorts of wierd and crazy, had a VPC, SAFC, Rebic IV, and geforce. the rebic was daisy chained to the SAFC, and would sometimes run rich or lean and cutting out when boosting and was just an all around nightmare, so thats out and im currently putting together a megasquirt 3. Since i decided to move away from the hellish piggybacks and to the megasquirt, I decided to do the distributor delete while i was at it. I have a 7m-gte CPS from someone off supraforums.com coming and picked up a set of is300 coilpacks and igniter off RGW here on club lexus. Also picked up an AEM digital temp gauge as well as an AEM digital oil pressure gauge. Re-using a blitz boost controller and turbo timer, that was already in the car.

3) interior was trashed, keyless entry on the key was broken. Luckily for me the 92 doesnt have a chip in the key, so here comes the viper keyless entry/remote start/alarm. And got a blank key off the internet that still needs to be cut. the seats were completely disgusting and ratty, so I went and found a set of mint condition Evo X seats that need to go into the car. (trying to figure out the whole bracket situation right now on how to get the seats in)

I'm still looking for some good condition door panels, window trim. Might end up taking the door panels to an upholstery shop and see what they can do. (i've pmed aliga looking for door panels with no response btw) Bought a used 3 spoke steering wheel off someone here on CL, and thats on the car because the one that was on there was completely torn up. Got a new set of window regulators off ebay that need to go in eventually also. Cluster needler was also going out, but ended up instead of sending off to OLT, I had the backlight bulbs replaced, and the mechanic at the shop is really good with electronics and soldering, so we just soldered some LED's onto the end of the needle, actually turned out pretty good, since only the end of the needle is lit and not the whole needle, it kind of gives it a floaty look to the needle. Also found a TRD shift **** on the internet from a place called Kamispeed.com to replace the worn out shift ****. Also got a new shift boot from driftmotion.com almost forgot about the AC control that I need to put in, since mine has a all blacked out LCD. (also picked up from a CL member) Also got a ecliptech, progressive shift light (http://www.ecliptech.com.au/index.ph...=59&Itemid=109)

4) Body needs some work. It originally had an authentic vertex kit on it, but front bumper got smashed up and needs to be replaced. Also rear bumper paint is flaking off, and the passenger front fender needs some tlc. So I am now currently looking for a shine auto ac rep kit. (will probably keep the banged up vertex kit for track days) Got some quotes and will probably be picking one up in the next week or so. And will be off to the body shop once the megasquirt is in and the car is running strong. Also picked up a set of really mint condition headlights/fog lights w/ HID's off a member here on CL. O ya almost forgot the glass high beams too.

5) It already had a supra BBK on, so i ended up just resurfacing the rotors and grabbed some OEM pads for the supra. suspension, wise it had on eibachs, and tokicos. Those got torn out and i threw in a set of Gixxer Drew coilover setup. All the LCA/steering rack bushings got replaced also. Got a set of titan motorsport sways from titan motorsports and the supra sub frame to make the rear fit from driftmotion.

Step 2 of rebuild : After all this is done, i will drive it around for a while, but I'm still looking for either a R154 or a V160 and a rear end, along with bigger injectors and a FFIM and bigger throttle body. (but in all honesty, i have no idea when this will happen, this step 1 re-build has sucked alot of money already out of me)

Nehow, stay tuned, I'll be heading down to the shop sometime this week, and will snap some pictures for you guys. Will hopefully have her back and on to the body shop in the next couple of weeks!
Old 02-07-12, 04:22 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Annnnnnnd subscribed.
Old 02-07-12, 04:35 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In for pics....
Old 02-07-12, 11:31 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking promising.
Old 02-08-12, 03:41 AM
Tred92sc
Driver School Candidate

I wanna see the pics when your finished sound like its gonna look good.
Old 02-08-12, 09:46 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

also in for pics
Old 02-08-12, 01:17 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Steering wheel

Cluster

Motor waiting for Distributor Delete

Teaser of Evo X seats waiting to be installed
Old 02-08-12, 08:27 PM
cheddarSC4
Rookie

subscribed looks to be a good build
Old 02-08-12, 08:42 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Great project and I already see good progress
Old 03-09-12, 11:01 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

So i found a crappy vertex replica bumper that im running for now, until i get the shine one on there and painted (which is sitting in living room rite now) Here is a pic of her as she stands. she really needs a wash. O ya the replica bumpers fitment is horrible. and doesnt sit flush with the front fender.

Also ended up getting a black dash/black carpet/black center console/black A pillars/black ebrake. So going for the 2 tone look i guess =) Also got the water temp/oil pressure gauges installed.

Here's a pic of the Evo X seats with shroth 4 point harness

Old 03-09-12, 11:46 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

evo seats look great!
Old 03-09-12, 11:54 AM
ScWift92
Intermediate

Was It Hard To Put The Seats In? They Came Out Great.
Old 03-09-12, 02:19 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

it actually wasnt too hard, just had to get brackets made by wedge engineering and used the stock evo x rails
Old 03-09-12, 02:36 PM
1J0Z SC
Lead Lap

Nice! Im excited for this, looks good so far
Old 03-23-12, 05:57 PM
buckwheat
Driver

im down like a clown with out a frown looking to see this down town and spun around just not upside down ya clown im subscribed @(0.o)@

Quick Reply: Sleepyboi's '92 SC300 Rebuild thread....