Winter Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-12, 11:14 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Winter Detailing

UPDATED ON PAGE 2

Hi guys! I haven't really done any mods on my SC quite yet, every time I plan on getting a mod done, it's set back by a problem that needs some fixing... Anyways, since I got my SC I've fixed quite alot of problems and replaced alot of parts and the list still goes on, so I guess I'm stuck with it now... I did a major detailing a couple of days ago, I'm a car clean freak, any small scratches or dirt drives me nuts, and my first detailing done almost a year ago didn't really last that long due to lack of budget for some great products... But this time it's different, I invested in the best detailing and sealant products I can afford... So get ready for the pics!

Products I used;

So some before pics(it rained for a couple of days before I did this so the SC was extra dirty);

After washing it;

Alot of rock chips, very frustrating as there's nothing any detailing product can do about it...

Watermarks;

Scratches;

After one panel of claying;

After cut compound;

You can clearly see the difference;

The following day when all have been said and done;

I'll get some more decent pics soon, haven't had time to do it, I was so tired as it took me literally the entire day to get everything done... The sealant I used simply do miracles... It's been three days already and still dust just slides off of it... Anybody from SD wanna get theirs done?! Hit me up! I still feel froggy! LOL

I'm so happy of the results I'd do it twice if I could! I hope I can get started modding it... I just want PBM coils, Work Rezax II, AC Auto Shine body kit, all black interior, Lextech lighting, and Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD! LOL

PS; Now I can say I got P00ssy wet paint! LOL

Last edited by OG Dada; 02-01-12 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-28-12, 11:20 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Very nice! I gotta do that too. I got my SC about a month ago and whoever did the detailing on it before didn't know what the hell he was doing.

Also a bit off topic but has the car been lowered?

also what is the wheel set up you got?
Old 01-28-12, 11:28 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Tokico blues, Tanabe NF210 springs not low enough for me though....

Front 19x8.5 +33 with 5mm wheel spacer
Rear 19.9.5 +23 with 15mm wheel spacer

And oh yeah I had my LS brake calipers polished by 619Rider, so hopefully I can get it put in by next month 'cause I feel like my rotors are a little bit warped....

Old 01-28-12, 11:41 PM
- V -
Instructor

Shiny....... lol

I rather like the ride height. If you were to put a 97 body on it i think it would look pretty sick.
How stiff does it feel? Is the ride comfort difference very noticeable?
Old 01-28-12, 11:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Very comfortable I would say, but the tires make a very big difference since I got thinner tires than when I got it... I still have to dodge dips and potholes on the road... I also changed my bushings to polyurethane so when the weather is really cold, like at night, it rides stiff... I'm contemplating on getting the '97 OEM body kit since it's cheaper, or just go AC Shine Auto project would do for me since alot of people says it has better fitment etc...
Old 01-28-12, 11:55 PM
- V -
Instructor

Yea those tires are pretty thin. Im planning to get a set of 18"s on mine and im still contemplating to doing 17 instead for the ride comfort.

97 body is pretty much the only body i like that doesnt crumple after a few months. And yes if you get lucky you can pick up the whole set at a junk yard for pretty cheap. Im not really familiar with AC Shine Auto so i cant say anything about that. I would say go for a 97 body and add a front lip to the bumper. Though you may have some issues with your exhaust fitment since the back 97 bumper wraps around the exhaust a bit more. Cant really tell from the pics.

anyway, really nice car man. Very clean. would love to see the interior.
Old 01-29-12, 12:01 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Yeah I made a mistake going thinner on the tires. Just do a quick search for Auto Couture you'd find a lot of people sporting them. Here's my interior, this was right after I detailed my interior a couple of months back, it's already dirty now, that's why I wanna switch to all black...

Old 01-29-12, 12:32 AM
- V -
Instructor

very clean, yea black doesn't get as dirty. I have a black on black SC but i gotta say, its a hell hole in Florida. another issue with black though is that it never actually looks clean because you can see every spec of dust on it. That's the one thing that always irritates me about black interiors. If you do go black i would suggest tinting your windows though. The car stays noticeably cooler in the sun with tinted windows. Don't do anything crazy though, stay within the legal limits of your state.

18" rims should give you 45 profile tires, my guess is that 17 is either 50 or 55. probably 50, assuming that you want to switch your rims that is.
Old 01-29-12, 12:57 AM
greens14
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

night and day difference! nice work! how long did you spend total hour wise. info on interior detailing?
Old 01-29-12, 01:32 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

9 hours total for the exterior, I'm gonna redo my trunk, I didn't quite get into the tight space below the spoiler so you can still see some scratches right under it. When I have time again, I'm gonna remove the spoiler to polish and sealant that hidden spot.

Interior I used Meguiars All Purpose Detailer (Green liquid). This is the bomb I promise, very easy to use, no left over to clean up. Took me 1 week to finish the interior, about 3 hours a day of work. Then I used Lexol for all leather, info from JDM Muscle. I used toothbrushes and this to rub-a-dub-dub; (a 2" paint brush, cut short to form a "bushy" end)
Attached Thumbnails Winter Detailing-photo-on-2012-01-29-at-01.31.jpg  

Last edited by OG Dada; 01-29-12 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-29-12, 01:44 AM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice detail, i wish i had the patience to do it to mine.

Do you know what was used to polish the calipers?
Old 01-29-12, 01:47 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure about the calipers. I didn't see it until it was done. Just 1 week wait period! LOL I'm gonna get all polishable parts in the engine bay polished also... In time... Not a priority right now...
Old 01-29-12, 01:50 AM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! Do you mind listing all the products you used and in what order?
Looks so good! Wanna do it to my Dad's Benz and my truck haha.
Old 01-29-12, 01:59 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Wash - I'd say any soap would do if you'd do the whole 9 yards after it.
Clay
Meguiars Cut Compound M105(I'd only use this if there's alot of deep scratches, this can actually smooth out up to 1000 grit sanding)
Meguiars Polish Compound M205(Enough to remove swirls)
Optimum Opti Coat 2.0 Sealant (This is the one that made miracles. Expensive and hard to find but well worth every trouble. This is the ultimate in all kinds of sealants. I bought it from detailersdomain.com sponsor of CL.)
Old 01-29-12, 05:40 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Ok, so I was able to get some proper pics this morning... I know people don't like it unless it's slammed, but this car is a work in progress so bear with me... And also I wanted my car to be functional first before modding anything... So here are the pics!

I haven't wiped my car since I detailed it, and til today, there is little to nothing dust sticking to it... I love the sealant I used! Unlike wax it becomes sticky in time, the sealant doesn't...

Quick Reply: Winter Detailing