SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Supra vs. SC300

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 10:06 AM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has their preferences. While the SC does share counterparts with the Supra, I never pictured as the SC being my "Dream car" I have plenty of friends with SC and we enjoy both for what they are.

I agree the SC shouldn't be labeled as a poor man's Supra as the SC was targeted at a different crowd.
Old 02-06-12, 10:22 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Especially since the SC sold for more than a Supra new didn't it? And has a ton of amenities and "luxury" features not standard or even available for the Supra. If anything, I'd call the SC a classier, luxury Supra.
Old 02-13-12, 10:14 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The MKIV Supra may not have full leather, wood trim, automatic climate control or memory seats but I find it to be a very classy GT car if it hasn't been body kitted.

The SC is classy in its own brutish way with MKIV size wheels fitted.
Old 09-23-12, 11:52 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we should do something to up the value of our cars.
Isn't there a "Fast 6" coming out, or something?
The SC is under-appreciated in my opinion, as far as the spotlight.
They should include some gorgeous SC (or a few) as the hero-car in one of those movies; and besides F&F was primarily about tunin' "Imports", alot of which were ... not exactly "old", but "older"; that is to say, it wasn't clouted with the newest/hottest model cars, marketing for the manufacturers. It was more about the builds, and the culture still; today it's more hollywood simply, so IMO they should bring it back to that a little bit, w/ the SC300.
However, I forget which episodes, but there are some cool SC's in the Initial-D anime series if anyone can find 'em.

Last edited by SEIDO; 09-24-12 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 07:11 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
I think we should do something to up the value of our cars.
Isn't there a "Fast 6" coming out, or something?
The SC is under-appreciated in my opinion, as far as the spotlight.
They should include some gorgeous SC (or a few) as the hero-car in one of those movies; and besides F&F was primarily about tunin' "Imports", alot of which were ... not exactly "old", but "older"; that is to say, it wasn't clouted with the newest/hottest model cars, marketing for the manufacturers. It was more about the builds, and the culture still; today it's more hollywood simply, so IMO they should bring it back to that a little bit, w/ the SC300.
However, I forget which episodes, but there are some cool SC's in the Initial-D anime series if anyone can find 'em.
Everyone knows the potential of SCs... the reason they are priced low is because they are not really performance cars out of the box.

If they came with a GTE 6spd from the factory....trust me, it would be a completely different story. People are willing to pay Supra prices because it already comes with those desireable parts. If you buy a stock SC and convert it to what a factory 6spd Supra has and buy good parts, you're gonna be well into the $20-30k range.
Old 09-24-12, 09:10 AM
AlphaMotor
Lead Lap

^^^ I'd pay $20k+ for your car Dimitri!
Old 09-24-12, 09:15 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AlphaMotor
^^^ I'd pay $20k+ for your car Dimitri!
Lol i 'll give him $25K
Old 09-24-12, 10:42 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't know attribute F&F to the appreciation of the Supra. Sure, in the first couple years since release but not more than a decade later. If you consider all the hero cars in those movies, none of them has appreciated... hell you can pick up a 350Z for $8K nowadays.
Old 09-24-12, 01:44 PM
//LRD
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Klean
LMAO @ this "poor man's Supra" bull****.

I bought my SC because the Supra (to me) was not worth all the hype. I loved and admired the 2J motor b/c it was easy to tune and made other $70K+ "race-inspired" cars look bad in a street race w/ little to no effort. To me, the Lexus has MUCH more class and elegance and can still get up in someones *** with the swap. I have never been anywhere and not turned heads from ALL AGES...10 years old to 92 years old...I cannot even get gas w/o having someone ask me questions about my SC or just something as simple as a thumbs up given to me (all of which are much appreciated).

I agree with what someone said on the first couple of pages...if we held on to our actual vehicle worth, it would change the market. Its not going to happen overnight though and will not happen with one or two of us doing it either. Have some pride in your work and stop wishing it was a Supra. Its not. To me, its better.

Just my $.02

LMAO is that why you parted out your SC and put it all into a MK4 Supra . We can debate this till we're blue in the face. Availability is the key word here . There was a time when NA mk4 Supra's were overlooked and even frowned upon. No longer the case ..

F&F really had noting to do with it , except give the NA-T Supra's a platform . I didn't see anyone running out to their local Mitsubishi and buy up all the conv. Eclipses .

Last edited by //LRD; 09-24-12 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-24-12, 02:21 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Dude, SC's are NOT as "common as dirt" they are still very rare cars.. in fact, where I live (New England) I'll actually be shocked to see more than 12 a YEAR. they will NEVER be common... and as time goes on, more and more are getting scrapped. I'm proud of my 92' that is currently finishing up a $7K restoration, and I'll keep and drive it till I drop.

Are supras less common? absolutely.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
How is this even remotely debatable? LMAO! Another SC fanboi thread.

How are some of you even thinking that 'your selling price' is directly dependant on the MARKET VALUE of your SC? Read an economics book.

As MANY posted already [but raging-hard on's chose to ignore], the concept of supply and demand is always and will be in full effect in the capitalist world, so why would cars, aka another commodity differ?

Figures are mentioned earlier;
#of sc's sold in the us: 82,538
#of supras sold in the us: 11,239 na&turbo

DUH! I wonder which car will sell for less?!

FnF has nothing to do with it, i was still in H.S. when the series came out - i knew and loved the Supra prior to the movie. It added some 'want' to the Supra - more than it had initially, but do you honestly expect a kid in high school without a job was about to buy one? Do you think the late 20's guy is going to take out a loan for a Supra [fresh out of college with debt/whatever]... NO!

So stop trying to justify your clouded - and fairy tale like explanations for the values.

The SC is common as dirt, when compared to the Supra - even in Canada, there are more landed 'other JDM vehicles' including the Soarer than plated and driving Supra's [from personal observation]
Old 09-24-12, 04:43 PM
bauceLS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for a SC300 but found out the supra isnt that much more than a sc. So i saved up a bit more and got the supra. Both are awesome cars that share alot of similarities and parts. I all comes down to preference. In the end they are both awesome cars, who cares if one cost a bit more.

Looking forward to meeting new Sc/supra peeps.

Name:  IMG_20120818_122152.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20120828_174551.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  110.9 KB
Old 09-24-12, 06:38 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

supras were only $40 000 for the newer models(97-98) and the fact that they are still getting $20-$30 grand definitely comes down to its rarity.

Its true you cant compare the two because one was sold as a gentlemans car and the other seems to be catered towards teenagers and the tuner crowd.

also f you notice most of the cheap SC's youguys complain about are usually with high mileage and in very rough shape and most if not all the supras I see here have super low mileage and are wel kept.
Old 09-24-12, 07:28 PM
SCabral400
Driver School Candidate

Just the engines may be the same but the other internals aren't, if you look at toyota soarers they are also more expensive they look the same just different engine. But if you look at a LHD Auto MKIV supra and a 97+ SC they maybe be similar
Old 09-24-12, 09:07 PM
pakamac
Driver School Candidate

Interesting thread. Seems that most of the posters are looking for modified cars or ones they wish to modify. I'm an older guy and buy cars in excellent shape and stock. Comparing the Supra and sc400 for the kind of motoring I do, the sc is a far better buy than a supra in similar condition. Once I'm a really old fart, I'll probably get an ls400- perhaps the best production car ever built
Old 09-24-12, 09:24 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uras300
Different initial target buyers. Supra's were mostly sold to car enthusiasts who appreciated the value/capability of the car. SC's on the other hand were sold to wealthy people who had little to no idea about what the car is capable of doing and purchased as a status symbol. Fortunately for Supra, the same passion were carried down to second, third, and even more owners down the line. (This is reflected on used sale price.) SC on the other hand were mainly traded in for an upgrade and were purchased by yet another group of people who knew very little about them. And since there weren't huge demand for the car, price went down significantly.

Currently, most Supra's are owned by true enthusiasts. SC's, probably a mix of enthusiasts and greater number of non-enthusiasts. It's difficult to maintain the average value of the car when there are people neglecting their SC's and selling them dirt cheap. It's pretty sad.
This topic can be beat to death but the thread IMO ended with this post.

Quick Reply: Supra vs. SC300