Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

its a simple economic model of price determination called supply and demand

#of sc's sold in the us: 82,538
#of supras sold in the us: 11,239 na&turbo

if you want to get specific
# of sc300's sold is: 29117
# of na supras sold: 4262

Last edited by 93MSB; 01-10-12 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-10-12, 03:37 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Our SCx00 prices went down alot because we all choosed to lower our pricing. Selling them for dirt cheap! If we all stuck with what we had it at 5 years ago. Our cars would still be worth 6k stock - 10k modded and 15+ swapped~ easy. We have no one to blame for our price decrease except for ourselfs. Times are hard people willing to take losses so they lower the price down more to beat competition out. Hence 2k stock SCs now... =(

Supra are more rare and even if I never liked them or would want one. They are iconic and people will pay the $$$ for kinda like a NSX. Stock NSX are slow as crap but people pay $$$$ for them. Because oooo NSX oo SUPRA name..
I couldn't have said it better myself. If everyone quit selling their SC's for close to nothing, our cars would actually be worth something.

The Supra is pretty rare compared to the SC. That keeps the value high too.
Old 01-10-12, 08:36 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But 20 year old cars are supposed to be cheap! Even if they started out as luxury cars, after two decades they're basic transportation at best. Comfy leather-lined transportation for sure, but you wouldn't be willing to buy a 98 Lincoln Continental (or Town Car, or Mark VIII) for $20k so why would a 98 SC sell for that?

I can pick up a 60k mile showroom clean Lincoln from Florida for about $4k. Don't give me that "more reliable" crap either. Both cars will run forever with proper maintenance and they'll both break a lot if neglected.

FWIW, the Hyundai Genesis 5.0 sedan equals the Supra's acceleration and braking numbers, and is no slouch on the skidpad either. Should we expect a cult following for it in a few years? Remember -- no movie, no fanboys!
Old 01-10-12, 09:06 PM
mkivjeremy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

93MSB said it well .... but supras are just more desireable than sc's were ... you wouldnt be comparing your 2jz powered vehicle to a supra as if it were that similar ... i have a mkiv and a sc3 and i can tell you its comparing apples to oranges it dont matter as long as you get what you can afford and like to drive .... peace my lex brothers ..
Old 01-10-12, 10:21 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both are sexy..supra gots a lil more curves tho
Old 01-10-12, 11:10 PM
lexrod6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 93MSB

Very nice info guys.... I think the above qoute says it all for me...Thanks.
Old 01-11-12, 06:25 AM
killerGSR
Driver School Candidate

well 5speed Sc's still pull decent money...
Old 01-11-12, 07:51 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I say we boycott the SC market and start asking for like double what everyone seems that they are worth. I have always read that it was because of the fast and furious movie.

Bottom line can anyone produce facts not theories on why they are much higher. The bottom line are cars are more safe, driveable under boost, and more luxury. My .02 cents.
Old 01-11-12, 01:36 PM
TadlaG
Driver School Candidate

I agree with all the inputs above. I have my SC here and is thinking about selling it, as I now have a new born and need to upgrade the living situation, but the market will not pay what I know it is worth (yes it is a 1J mod with single turbo). We see SCX00 on the road in very bad shape which is quite different when a Supra go by.
Old 01-11-12, 02:30 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 93MSB

Yes. This.
Old 01-11-12, 06:42 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Our SCx00 prices went down alot because we all choosed to lower our pricing. Selling them for dirt cheap! If we all stuck with what we had it at 5 years ago. Our cars would still be worth 6k stock - 10k modded and 15+ swapped~ easy. We have no one to blame for our price decrease except for ourselfs. Times are hard people willing to take losses so they lower the price down more to beat competition out. Hence 2k stock SCs now... =(

Supra are more rare and even if I never liked them or would want one. They are iconic and people will pay the $$$ for kinda like a NSX. Stock NSX are slow as crap but people pay $$$$ for them. Because oooo NSX oo SUPRA name..

wait!!! they are slower than aids. but they look so sexy!!
Old 01-11-12, 06:47 PM
Blurr
Driver

The movie "Transporter" did not cause an avalanche of Audi A8 buyers or fanbois. It has to be the right movie with the right theme.
Old 01-12-12, 11:00 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

The irony is that the F&F movies aren't really about cars or car people-- it was about one-dimensional thugs and cops who happened to have overly convenient access to perfect show cars-- and who had to make those cars really pretty just to steal things with them. I thought "Drive" was an awesome movie but I'm not sure it's driven up the price of the 1973 Chevelle SS used in the film.

BTTF drove up the resale values of the DeLorean and those are slow as hell stock. Values went up. They also only made about 10k cars total.

Mad Max made the 1973-74 Austrailian Ford Falcon XB GT's iconic and high in demand. Values went up.

Even "Christine" drove up the values of a previous-to-the-film unremarkable car: the 1958 Plymouth Fury, though not alarmingly.

Key things here are that values often go up when the car was low production and fairly exotic. Very fast and tunable doesn't hurt either.

As for the depressed SC market, I think it's pretty dumb myself. It is hard to argue with what accepted market values are but I'd never let my car go for something so ridiculous as $3k. These cars are very available compared to Supra MKIV's but I feel that the engine swapped examples should be valued for more than they are. I'd be happy with market values similar to what modified 1986-2004 Mustangs and LS1 Camaros hold at but there again you have something driving the market: the legend and name of those cars, plus the fact that they were marketed to performance enthusiasts from the beginning. Unless they were V6's, which command no value. SC's are thought of much in the same way older V6 Mustangs and Camaros are even though the drivetrains and chassis are worlds better.

MooJohn, most 20 year old cars such as Civic DX's aren't worth much more than $1,500 or so as basic transportation but you should realize that there have always been cars that people value more than others even if they are 20+ years old. That's the reality of the automobile world. Most of the time you'd be right. In the case of a high performance car made in low numbers that everyone liked from the start it just doesn't work that way.

What irks those of us here who aren't cheapskate car shoppers (to be clear, that was NOT directed at anyone in this thread) is that all it takes is a really bad movie that happened to be popular to blow an expensive but not outrageous valuation for a rare sportscar completely out of proportion while an extremely similar car made by the same company and capable of just as much performance as the Base model of the popular car is valued to the pits year after year.

But that's life. Anyway, trashed cars aside we shouldn't expect Supra prices from SC300/400's but we shouldn't let these cars go so cheaply as I've seen on occasion.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-12-12 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-13-12, 08:39 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Supra is a fine car but it isn't worth $30k to me today. Same goes for Vipers from that era -- there is no reason they should sell today for the same thing they stickered at in the 90s. I pissed off some Viper owners when I told them that 400 horsepower would be merely adequate for me and certainly wouldn't put it in "supercar" status today. Again, today's Hyundai sedan makes more than that. An an Acura NSX? You couldn't pay me to drive one! They look nice and I'm sure they handle great but 250hp isn't squat. That's the same argument RX8 owners use and it places mid-pack in C&D's Lightning Lap, beating only the econoboxes. Meanwhile the v6 Mustang crushes all in the class!

I know how desirable vehicles work. I owned the two rarest Mitsubishis -- the Galant VR4 and 89 Mirage turbo -- at the same time. Meanwhile I can't buy an 86 Corolla GTS today because of all the idiot drifters that have made all RWD imports outrageously priced when a $500 beater Mustang would perform just as well but wouldn't give them the street cred they so desperately crave.

The wildest thing is that the group of buyers that are propping up these prices weren't even old enough to drive when these cars were new. They're all chasing someone else's dream. Maybe that's because there was a lack of performance cars for a while after the mid 90s. I would say that we're now in another golden age of horsepower and it'll be interesting to see what these cars are worth in another 20 years.
Old 01-13-12, 01:11 PM
GitFast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by uras300
Different initial target buyers. Supra's were mostly sold to car enthusiasts who appreciated the value/capability of the car. SC's on the other hand were sold to wealthy people who had little to no idea about what the car is capable of doing and purchased as a status symbol. Fortunately for Supra, the same passion were carried down to second, third, and even more owners down the line. (This is reflected on used sale price.) SC on the other hand were mainly traded in for an upgrade and were purchased by yet another group of people who knew very little about them. And since there weren't huge demand for the car, price went down significantly.

Currently, most Supra's are owned by true enthusiasts. SC's, probably a mix of enthusiasts and greater number of non-enthusiasts. It's difficult to maintain the average value of the car when there are people neglecting their SC's and selling them dirt cheap. It's pretty sad.
where's the Like button? My friend bought a supra from the dame dealership i bought my sc and he was charged atleast 2000 more tha i was and that was after talking them down

Quick Reply: Supra vs. SC300