SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Broken Cable on drivers side door handle!

Old 01-06-12, 04:05 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken Cable on drivers side door handle!

Hi Guys,

My cable for my drivers side door handle just broke. I have a 1993 sc300 I just got a replacement one but it looks like it connects to a entire assembly? Any walk thru's or tricks would be greak I have got the door panel off but am having some trouble removing the cable to what ever its attached to. Thanks!
Old 01-06-12, 04:29 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you're going to need to take off the actuator(the thing the cable is attached too) to install a new cable. Once you get that out its pretty simple, remove the plastic cover, you'll see where two cables run and how they hook in there, remove the broken one and install new one. Its a pain to do unfortunately.
Old 01-06-12, 05:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I've heard of the cables breaking, but in 9 years of owning the oldest SC possible (92) I have yet to experience it so I am not sure how this happens. I have however put 3 door handles on my 95 so far in 2 months....... none of which I broke (thanks mom, thanks SO, thanks car dealer).
Old 01-06-12, 05:59 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

yea i had to remove an actuator from my car twice and 2 times from junk yard cars, i think i finally got it down but the first time was a pain. I will say this you'll need to remove the window guide and BE CAREFUL that bolt strips easily and use a philips number 3 screw driver not a 2
Old 01-07-12, 11:23 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My driver side lock cable 'broke' ---- kind of. When I bought the car last month the door panel was completely shot, and the armrest screws wouldn't even have helped if they were there. A past owner had run deck screws into everything to hold it together, but when you pulled the arm rest to close the door it pulled in inches before the door followed. I replaced the panel, but in the process the end ferule around the cable for the lock pulled off the black cable housing, and won't go all the way back on. It messed up the lock operation, so I ended up just taking the cable end out of the inside handle so at least I could lock the door. For some reason, now the electric unlock from the inside doesn't work now though, and I have to roll down the window to exit the car.
Old 01-09-12, 05:40 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

Its really annoying becuase the cable did not break the little blue plastic piece that attaches to the interior door handle broke. Basically the cable is hooked up but it is not cliped in without that blue piece so it will not release (open)
I had to replace the drivers side door handle(exterior) when I bought the car "couldnt open the door from the outside wihout a hastle" now that i fixed the outside door handle the plastic blue clip that hold the cable to the door is broken.. FML it sounds like ill need a few hours to get it accesable since I havent removed the actuator before
Old 01-09-12, 06:19 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

been there my self man, my clip broke on the out side handle, replaced that then the rod broke replaced the actuator with a junk yard actuator, as soon as i have it bolted up, it broke got another one in MINT condition and finally installed it and working thankfully, almost got rid of my car over that sh it. Good luck, take your time and try not to get frustrated(i ripped my door panel off cause i was pissed )
Old 01-10-12, 05:13 PM
Devor
Pit Crew

imdemented I hear ya man Imma try to get it done this weekend. Thanks!
Old 01-11-12, 05:51 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Hmmm.... my outside handle works, but doesn't stay tight to door at the back. I've been dealing with other issues, so haven't got to that yet. There's an Indigo Pearl SC4 at the junkyard right now --- should I go pull that exterior handle before someone else does, or is my handle, which does stay tight at the front, likely to be repairable? Is there a sticky here with diagrams showing how the handles work?
Old 01-15-12, 01:54 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Default Possible "AH-HAH!" moment

Originally Posted by hoosier58
My driver side lock cable 'broke' ---- kind of. When I bought the car last month the door panel was completely shot, and the armrest screws wouldn't even have helped if they were there. A past owner had run deck screws into everything to hold it together, but when you pulled the arm rest to close the door it pulled in inches before the door followed. I replaced the panel, but in the process the end ferule around the cable for the lock pulled off the black cable housing, and won't go all the way back on. It messed up the lock operation, so I ended up just taking the cable end out of the inside handle so at least I could lock the door. For some reason, now the electric unlock from the inside doesn't work now though, and I have to roll down the window to exit the car.
Might be a little weird quoting myself, but, it is what it is.

I put on a pair of jeans today that I hadn't worn for a while, felt a lump in the 'watch pocket' above the right hip pocket, and found a small spring ---- about 1/2" diameter and just under 3/4" long. I have a sneaky suspicion that this went on one of the cables to my inside door handle --- and may explain why I've had problems ever since I replaced the door panel.

Now I just need to remember where it went, and put it back!