SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 06:21 PM
Wildwestzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hows it going? I am new to CL. I am not an SC owner just yet but when I get back to the states I will be buying one. I am coming from the Supra world. I have a MKIII Surpa. So Toyotas arent really new to me. but the 2JZ is. In the mean time until I get back to the states ill be lurking around here learning as much as I can.

-Tim
Old 09-22-13, 05:30 AM
Bakonman
Driver School Candidate

Default New member with 1994 SC400

Hello all,

Finally joined the forum. I bought my 1994 SC400 in 1999 for $14,000. It had 92,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 145,500 miles on it. It is gold colored with the gold package. Everything is great on it except for the driver's side seat which I will do something about that pretty soon.

After I purchased the car and was going through the glove box, I found the original purchase invoice. The prior owner paid a whopping $59,400 for it. Since it is my third vehicle and not driven very much, I considered selling it. After I discovered it would only bring $6,000 or so, I decided to really get it back in shape and drive it more because it really is a classic car and one of the best looking cars on the road.

The forum is great. So much information and helpful advice. In fact, I just changed out all of the speakers after I found a thread that took me through it step by step.

I have pictures but have to figure out how to re-size them to upload them.
Old 09-22-13, 08:54 AM
Doughnut
Driver School Candidate

Default 92 sc400

I have had my 1992 SC400 for a little over 2 weeks now. Even though I have been a mechanic for about 30 years and working at dealerships for 14 of those, this is the only SC400 I remember seeing. I got it because I though it would be a good car and was cheap enough, $900.

It had been sitting at work for over 2 years, the owner had brought it in to have work done and never picked it up. I have receipts for $1900 done since it was here, most of it was paid for. I worked on it once last year, the owner was going to pick it up. We did a state inspection and went over it getting it in a drivable condition. Passenger window regulator, 1 injector, horn relay and high mount brake lamp were replaced at that time. I had the chance to look it over good. Told the boss I wouldn't mind having it, if the price was right.

Anyway the owner never picked it up or paid for the last of the work done. Turns out she had advanced cancer and about 8 months later died. The car went to her estate and my boss said he was told a nephew was going to get it. The estate ended up signing the title over to my boss to settle the bill.

Some of the work done included new timing belt and water pump, new fuel pump and filter, new goodyear performance tires, new brakes, complete tuneup and some new exhaust parts.

First time on the road I knew it needed more work, steering wheel would oscillate and had bad shake in the front end. New front shocks fixed that, drivers front shock was toast. Going to be replacing the rear shocks soon.

Couple of other things need fixing. Radio has no sound, going to use aftermarket radio. Trunk shocks are bad, drivers door lock actuator is weak and speedo only "tries" to work.

Right at 95 miles on the trip odometer, drivers side coil pooped out. The first new replacement coil I got was bad second new coil worked And also code 52 started coming up. First once in a while, then all the time and in less driving time. Replaced the knock senor and that knocked it back to once in a while. Opened up the engine controller and found to 2 bad caps. Seems code 52 is fixed now.

Even though I have made my living fixing cars for almost 30 years there is a lot I don't know, this site has been a big help with my new to me Lexus

Name:  sc400.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  114.2 KB
Old 09-23-13, 05:46 AM
NazanS
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like that car was meant for you...
Old 09-23-13, 07:42 AM
AZ97SC4
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased my first SC last week! I was lurking for a few months while car shopping, but now that I can officially say I own an SC4, I decided it was time to register

I'm excited to finally have a car that I have the money to work on and can learn to work on (I'm 28, sad I know) myself. I've had a leased Kia Forte for the past couple of years, and a 08 Saab 9-3, 09 Accord EX-L, 08 Civic, and 03 Eclipse GT prior, but I've never had the time or money to actually do anything to them.

The SC is a '97, AT (of course), white/tan, with 143k miles. I found it for $3900 at a local dealer, and the exterior/engine are absolutely immaculate, minus a few minor fluid leaks. It had been sitting on their lot for a few months, so I'm hoping that the kinks will work themselves out with a little time and work.

For electronics, I plan on installing a double-din head unit with nav, backup camera, and backup sensors, new speakers all around (the factory ones are still installed, and blown), removing the CD changer, and upgrading the factory amp/sub. I purchased Polk Audio DXi651s 6.5" Slim Mount Coaxial Speakers for the rear deck and Kicker 40CS44 4" Coaxial Speakers for the doors this weekend, and they'll be delivered on the 26th.

I know there isn't much out there for performance, and I'd like to keep it simple anyway, so Exhaust, Intake, and Headers are probably the only I'm going to try and do there. Coilovers and wheels are a given down the road.

I seafoamed the engine yesterday (1/2 in the PCV line, 1/2 in the gas tank) and then got an oil change, and it made a world of difference. I also ended up replacing most of the vacuum lines that were easy to get to. There was a slight hesitation when braking, the RPM would drop to around 150-250, and it sounded like it was close to stalling. Now the hesitation is gone and the engine sounds smooth while braking. Next is a complete tune-up.

No pics yet, but it's just a bone-stock white SC4.

Last edited by AZ97SC4; 09-23-13 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 12:21 PM
LomoFire
Driver School Candidate

Yesterday I purchased a 1995 Lexus SC400 for $1500 in Renaissance Red it runs and drives well, the front two seats are shot though and it needs some new paint in certain places and sadly it needs it Rack and Pinion replaced also

All in all the car looks beautiful and I hope to be driving it soon and for a long long time.
Old 09-24-13, 12:35 AM
souLess42o
Driver School Candidate

Default Renaissance red

Originally Posted by LomoFire
Yesterday I purchased a 1995 Lexus SC400 for $1500 in Renaissance Red it runs and drives well, the front two seats are shot though and it needs some new paint in certain places and sadly it needs it Rack and Pinion replaced also

All in all the car looks beautiful and I hope to be driving it soon and for a long long time.
I also have a renaissance red SC!! although she needs a touch up on a little peeling she is one sexy beast!! i took of all of the leather myself and used SEM there are a few guides here on it. turned out pretty darn good if i say so myself. I converted my tan seats to 2 tone black and tan. Looks pretty snazzy and wasn't too difficult... the hardest part was clipping off those Hogs Rings... i just used quick ties as replacement GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!
Old 09-24-13, 05:47 AM
bmxkeeler
Rookie

New to the 2jz world but not to the import scene. Just picked up a 1995 SC300 NA-T. So far it's been fun.
Old 09-24-13, 06:32 AM
jason1122
Driver School Candidate

New guy from Ga, formally a 240 guy but bought a sc400 now im hooked. I love this car and evything about it.Gona check out the scene on her and get some info!
Old 09-24-13, 12:43 PM
maximo44
Driver School Candidate

hello from charlotte nc.bought a1992 5 speed sc300 a lil over a month now i have was searching for almost around a year and a half i absolutely love my car.
Old 09-24-13, 04:27 PM
NumericR
Driver School Candidate

Sup Fellas,

93 SC400 here. Picked it up a few months ago to be a project and thats exactly what its been! I really would like to have it done by now, but it is what is. Love the car and would like to see it shine. Till then...
Old 09-24-13, 05:59 PM
Turbosauce
Rookie

Newbie here, taking delivery of a 93 sc300 with 1jz swap within the next week, still slightly hesitant on posting pics until delivery is taken, but the car is already paid for so I'm the proud new owner.
Plan is for it to be a daily driver, eventually gonna go single when the stock turbos blow, but for now it's a fun a to b car. Thanks for having me.
Old 09-24-13, 06:00 PM
plsrespond
Driver School Candidate

Hello CL thought I'd introduce myself and my ride here, I've had my 96' SC300 for a month now and although it's in bad shape I still love it.
Old 09-24-13, 07:56 PM
LomoFire
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by souLess42o
I also have a renaissance red SC!! although she needs a touch up on a little peeling she is one sexy beast!! i took of all of the leather myself and used SEM there are a few guides here on it. turned out pretty darn good if i say so myself. I converted my tan seats to 2 tone black and tan. Looks pretty snazzy and wasn't too difficult... the hardest part was clipping off those Hogs Rings... i just used quick ties as replacement GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!
Thank you I actually love the red which suprises me since i'm more of a white or silver girl but the mechanic buffed up the paint real good looks almost new! Right now he has it at his shop him and my dad (both mechanics) are going over everything with a fine tooth comb, eventually I would love to get the front seats fixed or replaced whoever had her last ruined them soooo many tears.
Old 09-25-13, 07:18 AM
AlexTheKid
Driver School Candidate

I am a bit premature in joining the forum - I am about to purchase my first SC400 in 2 days time. I have stumbled through threads several occassions and found alot of helpful information towards buying the right car. However I have a question I cannot find an answer to, and need to be a member to post :P
Fell in love with the SC400 the first time I was a passenger in one, am excited about finally owning one....

Quick Reply: SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!