SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-15, 11:11 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey there Club Lexus, feels great to finally be part of this wonderful community. After a whole year and a half of reading on this forum and other forums, deciding on what vehicle I should get as my first car I finally came to a decision that I want to get a SC. So I went on a search for a SC for a little more than a year and finally came across one. Purchased it last month, a Black on Beige interior 1998 SC400. This was exactly what I wanted, especially the fact that it was the upped version of the 1UZ with 290HP and it came with VVTi. The fact that this is my first vehicle ever, I'm trying to take care of it as much as I can. The vehicle did not come in perfect exterior condition. It has a few paint chips from the bumper, some very slight paint coming off from the hood and rear. From far away it looks in great condition but once you come close to it, it will start to look a bit old. As a student I don't have much cash on me, but I'm trying to find DIY methods to repair my vehicle as much as I can. I'll be using it also a learning tool because my goals are to further improve the capabilities of my SC. I want it to handle really well on the track, make the least noise while on the road. I'm not planning to cut off the mufflers but I do want it to growl a bit even though I love that the V8s have almost no idle noise. I plan to keep this for as long as I can and really hope it will be forever.

Sully
Old 04-19-15, 02:46 PM
streit84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Ive been lurking for a long time and finally decided it was time to contribute instead of just mooch information. I am not new to the car game and have built several Honda and GM vehicles in the past. I decided to try something new so I picked up a non-running project 94 Sc300 Automatic for a few hundred bucks and it came with a ton of extra parts like engines and body parts which I quickly sold off, the car is getting a swap (undecided) so I immediately pulled the tired 2jzge (car has approx 300k) and orig tranmission and sold it off as well. What Im left with is a full interior (terrible shape) very clean near dent free body (needs Paint) and a gaping hole where an engine should sit. I have already begun to clean up and improve the current condition of the car starting with a complete clean out and clean up of the front end including a new coat of paint for the bay. Here are some pics so you guys/gals can check out my progress so far. This build is going to take a long time as I plan on addressing every aspect of this car and it will not be a daily driver at any time in the future. Any help would be appreciated and I will post my progress along the way if anyone is interested in seeing it. I also have a lot of DIY knowledge when it comes to vehicles of all makes/models, if anyone has any questions that I could help out with feel free to ask.

Old 04-20-15, 02:19 PM
Gr814u1
Driver School Candidate

Good Evening everyone. I have been a member here for a few years and at first i was looking to obtain a Sc400 but went the Infiniti G35 way. Then a Nissan Altima and now i still am having the urge to own a Sc400, so i am back reading and learning all that i can about these car's before i jump into one. Thanks for all the write up's and threads in which one can learn from. I am in Connecticut, and have no experience fixing car's so i am reading and absorbing various people's way of isolating and fixing problem's that come with these car's.

Last edited by Gr814u1; 04-20-15 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added more stuff
Old 04-22-15, 03:46 PM
Ruga
Driver School Candidate

Default New member

What's up guys just wanted to say high from H-Town Tx, I'm digging this site. Just got my 93 sc done with twins.

Old 04-22-15, 04:01 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice...I love the discreet gauge set-up! Is that an aftermarket lip, what brand is it?

Originally Posted by Ruga
What's up guys just wanted to say high from H-Town Tx, I'm digging this site. Just got my 93 sc done with twins.
Old 04-22-15, 04:26 PM
Ruga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dricacho
Nice...I love the discreet gauge set-up! Is that an aftermarket lip, what brand is it?
Thanks, got the front lip from this guy. Great price, easy install, fitment was good, only took me 45 min (race composites)

Last edited by Ruga; 04-22-15 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 01:10 AM
SC300FOEVA
Driver School Candidate

Default whats upp?

so I saw the site and theres a ton of great stuff on here. after looking around for a bit I decided to go ahead and make an account.
I drive a 1994 lexus SC300, all stock except for a powerbass 151d woofer in a 4.5cf. box. but hoping to change much more than that when I get some money coming in.. overall its been a great car in the past 8 months ive had it. only had one "break down" with the security system keeping me from starting the car lol. oh and I had to put a wheel bearing (back drv side), timing belt, and replace a few gaskets. the car is pretty quick over all (atleast it can kill a honda ;]) sport mode and killing the overdrive helps alot. anyway, my names brenon, if you guys have any parts for these cars let me know.
emails - brendonmeyers@yahoo.com

behind the skate park

Old 04-26-15, 07:52 PM
JonColon
Driver School Candidate

Sup guys, Florida resident, generally new to the Lexus life and this forum but Toyota's have always been part of my life. Got my '92 SC300 just a couple of weeks ago, she hit 130k yesterday. Bone stock, planning to do somethings to my likings but keeping it pretty simple.

Old 04-27-15, 05:55 AM
nxtproject
Driver School Candidate

Whats up guys, just thought i'd introduce myself. Name's Kevin and I picked up this '96 SC400 as a car i was just going to drive while i am swapping a VVTi 1UZ into my S14, but most likely i'll end up keeping the SC as well for a backup as i've ALWAYS wanted one. Its not perfect (far from it) and i'll supplement this thread with pics of my "beater" after i get it registered and cleaned up (slightly). Shes dark metallic green with tattered tan leather but EVERYTHING works. 197k miles and she cranks right up every time and purrs like a kitten! I'll be installing some 350z track ver.1 wheels that i removed from the S14 so that'll be different. I only paid 1200 for it because it didnt have any keys. Looking forward to conferring with all of you regarding various modifications and repairs. Gonna do a tune up and water pump/timing belt/pulleys, some Fortune coilovers and convert to 98+ spec eventually. AC even works!
Old 04-28-15, 06:53 AM
TokinSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nxtproject
Whats up guys, just thought i'd introduce myself. Name's Kevin and I picked up this '96 SC400 as a car i was just going to drive while i am swapping a VVTi 1UZ into my S14, but most likely i'll end up keeping the SC as well for a backup as i've ALWAYS wanted one. Its not perfect (far from it) and i'll supplement this thread with pics of my "beater" after i get it registered and cleaned up (slightly). Shes dark metallic green with tattered tan leather but EVERYTHING works. 197k miles and she cranks right up every time and purrs like a kitten! I'll be installing some 350z track ver.1 wheels that i removed from the S14 so that'll be different. I only paid 1200 for it because it didnt have any keys. Looking forward to conferring with all of you regarding various modifications and repairs. Gonna do a tune up and water pump/timing belt/pulleys, some Fortune coilovers and convert to 98+ spec eventually. AC even works!
Congrats on finding it and welcome to the site. What part of TN are you in?
Old 04-28-15, 04:13 PM
SC400Zulu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SLOSC
How's it going all! It's a pleasure to be introducing myself to the community here.

I just picked up my new baby here about a month ago, a 1999 SC400 in the Angora Beige Metallic color. It's bone stock, has 168k dealership maintained miles (I bought it from an older rather wealthy gentleman) and was kept garaged most of its life; I felt very lucky to have found it.

Though the car accelerates and rides like everything I expected of a lexus (and then some), it had a problem with wobbles at freeway speeds as well as some land yach-esque handling characteristics. It came to my attention that it was in need of bushings, thus I am currently in the process of overhauling all the car's front bushings (Front UCA and LCA, steering rack bushing) and replacing them with the Figs Engineering polyurethane bushings. This combined with a fresh set of tires and a balance and alignment should fix the ride issues.

In the near future, besides regular maintenance tidbits and possible seafoam treatment, my plans include a V1 hardwire, frankenstein install an Injen intake originally from an SC430, exhaust, led bulbs, and brake upgrades.

I'm excited to be posting here finally, and hope to do a few write ups soon for some of the above mini projects.

Welcome to the v8 VVTi club! Looks nice.
Old 04-30-15, 04:54 PM
STEFisDOPE
Driver School Candidate

Default Intro

Peace, fam. My name's Stef & I've owned my 93 SC300 for a little over a year now. I got it for $1,200 & is easily some of the best money I've ever spent lol. Just bought a double-din dvd player to put in there, just waiting on the Metra kit to show up. Glad to be part of the Lexus family though. Peace.
Old 05-01-15, 02:11 PM
DHenn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hello From Canada

Hello... Name's Darren and just traded my way into the Toyota / Lexus world...

Got this solid '92 SC400 on trade for my '90 Nissan 240sx, and so far, i'm very happy.

Looking forward to gleaning lots of useful information and hopefully... someday.. contributing
Attached Thumbnails SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!-11010290_10152761989315009_7328037379213847345_n.jpg  
Old 05-03-15, 05:33 PM
sc4001uzfe
Driver School Candidate

Just got a black 400 that was kept buy an old man who owned 2 supras, and took care of it. 173XXX and its well kept.
Old 05-04-15, 06:01 AM
ghoul
Driver School Candidate

Default guess youd call me an old new member

Hey all, names Kevin.
I was a mamber here a few years ago when I was 1uz swapping an 85 celica/supra
Name:  344ee13a.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  96.8 KB
well, life got in the way and that project left to a new home (never have seen it again )
Name:  ee9b722f.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  51.3 KB

Since then I have built a few more cars including getting this 99 miata in driving reliable condition
Name:  8646C91B-B1FE-42CE-98E0-9BF4A09A30E1_zps7mx22xth.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  151.7 KB

I had bought the miata with the intent to swap it one day and I remembered how impressed I was with the 1uz that and with my wife not wanting to learn how to drive a manual trans I decided an engine and trans swap from an sc400 would be ideal. To that end, I had a motorcycle accident about two years ago and my shoulder and back were injured and still give me issues. I spent all last summer taking a wrecked civic
Name:  B4B9DBBC-7C2C-416D-AC48-B2F6A673D585-14532-0000219D402361CE_zps27467930.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  84.0 KB
and doing a full resto-mod (full performance suspension, body work like crazy total re-paint)
Name:  51C1BBD1-E86E-4C0C-98A1-420276F37A36_zpsywo37shr.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  79.1 KB

My mistake was I didnt anticipate a manual steering, manual trans civic would be so hard for me to drive....
Luckily I found some lad across state that had an sc400 up for trades so after alot of driving and what not the deal was struck, the sc400 was on the trailer and the civic was staying behind!
Name:  4BEB2DEA-4EE9-4CBA-92E9-9FC8A52581F5_zps7wt6ljmm.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  195.6 KB

dont worrie, this sc is a little too clean to use as a donor... so basically the game plan is to have this as my daily driver, and find a wrecked or rotted sc400 to drive train swap the miata....

so yes, long intro I apologize but Im looking forward to digging in to both these cars!!

Quick Reply: SC300/SC400 New Member Thread! Introduce yourself here!