SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC400 Can't open passenger door from inside!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 12:40 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post 92 SC400 Can't open passenger door from inside!?!

When I try to open the passenger door using the inside handle the door does not open. I just got done fixing the clip on the outside door handle and now the inside handle doesn't work. During the repair the door would not open from either handle and at one point I pulled on the inside handle hard and worder what I could have broken inside. Good news is that I got the door opened and the outside handle fixed butI don't see anything obivious inside the door to explain the inside handle not working. Cables hooked corredtly. HELP!

Last edited by dogwisper; 11-05-11 at 12:46 PM. Reason: ommission and mispelling
Old 11-05-11, 04:52 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my first question was going to be is the interior handle hooked up. from what it sounds u might have damaged it from pulling to hard. thats just my 2 cents though
Old 11-06-11, 01:48 AM
dogwisper
Driver

Handle is fine. Door panel removed and pull on cable and nothing. I was able to feel and see in there and found out I broke a plastic piece that hold the cable to the actuator. I guess I will have to go to the junkyard to try to find a new actuator. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-06-11, 04:58 PM
Josh400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your inside door handle have a lot tension? I'm having the same problem but my driver side door. I notice the cable that's connected to the inside door handle broken but still intact. I'm trying to Figuir it out too. I wonder if we can just change the cable. Idk good luck
Old 11-06-11, 09:17 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

If you buy a new actuator it'll come with a lot of stuff you don't need in this case. If if comes with the rod that goes from the actuator to the outside door handle, I'll pay you for it!! That would save me from having to buy a whole assembly just for the rod.
Old 11-07-11, 06:42 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Okay Moo John I am looking for either a cable which like you say should be impossible to find or the whole actuator. I am looking tonight and will let yoiu know when I find one. Just let mw know what you need off of it.
Old 11-08-11, 09:04 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the assembly if you're interested. it's the two cables (door open and door lock/unlock) with the assembly on the side.

if it has the top metal rod moojohn i'll ship that out to you.

going have to check when i get home tonight.
Old 11-08-11, 04:39 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

If you do have the rod from the outside handle to the actuator assembly it would be fantastic! It was missing when I got the car and it's the only thing keeping me from installing the replacement door panel. Yes, the door panel was gone too!
Old 11-08-11, 05:19 PM
dogwisper
Driver

I'm definitely interested in the actuator and cables if you have them...
Old 11-08-11, 06:17 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

dogwisper...let me know if this you're looking for...

the connector to the lock actuator...

moojohn...that top metal "stick" w/ the broken half red clip is your metal rod...the only catch is that it's virtually riveted it on to the unit (and i'm sure for good reason since you don't want it to fall out) so not sure if it's something you can just "unclip" w/o rendering the piece useless.

you guys let me know what you want to do. dogwisper if your cable is just broken and need new cables then i can pull those off and send you the cables and send moojohn the rest of the actuator so he can open his door again...but if your issue is more than just "cable issue" then you'll probably need the entire unit and perhaps you can send your old one to moojohn and let him try and get the metal stick out and get it working for him.
Old 11-08-11, 06:59 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Yes I actually just need the door handle cable and specifically that little plastic guide that attaches the cable to the actuator. If the cable can be easily attached to the actuator then all I need is the cable and that white plastic piece that attaches the door handle cable to the actuator.
Old 11-08-11, 07:04 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

help me remember...is it the cable w/ the blue plastic around it or the cable w/ the off white plastic around it?

one looks easy to pull off...the other looks to be a total PITA.

blue = door handle - ez
white = door lock/unlock - PITA

Last edited by mktbully; 11-08-11 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 07:37 PM
dogwisper
Driver

The one with the off blue plastic around it. I just felt back there and it feels like there is a plastic guide that attaches it to the actuator that is broken. Does that look like what you have there. If you are up for it and that is what you see too I can just use the blue cable and the plastic guide off of the actuator..
Old 11-08-11, 09:19 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

I was hoping the rod wasn't too bad. In this thread they showed a pic of the rod coming out:

Naturally I was hoping to pop in the rod without having to remove the actuator itself.
Old 11-09-11, 06:34 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MooJohn
I was hoping the rod wasn't too bad. In this thread they showed a pic of the rod coming out:

Naturally I was hoping to pop in the rod without having to remove the actuator itself.
the "hole" in the rod is actually an oval. it's not just a open oval...it makes the complete oval since the arm (on the actuator) it pushes needs the space to slide. it's hard to explain but when you see it you'll get it.

the riveted part on the arm has a bushing on it so every time you pull the door handle it rides on the bushing and pushes the arm down.

I'll get more pics tonight to give you more detail on it if you like.

Quick Reply: 92 SC400 Can't open passenger door from inside!?!