SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1997 SC 300 w/75,000 miles - Conflicted on Buying

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 07:16 AM
kbelky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 SC 300 w/75,000 miles - Conflicted on Buying

An acquaintance has a Pearl White 1997 SC 300 with 75,000 they are selling for $4500. It is a one owner Texas car. My issue is I don't have much history on the car. The exterior and interior are both at least a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale (interior is a little dirty; but, they have a ton of grandkids). The tires have good tread; but, I don't know if dry-rot could be an issue with it having so little miles. I don't know that test driving the car is a good idea because it has been sitting for 4 years. So, I'm sure it needs a tune-up, new fluids and belts, and will need the fuel drained.

My question is, would you even consider buying? Any tips on what to look for, etc.? RepairPal is showing $600+ just to have the spark plugs replaced. I don't need another project car; but, I've never owned a Lexus. So, not sure it this is an amazing deal.. or just another old project car.
Old 07-09-19, 07:23 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

For the low miles and in good condition I think it's easily worth $4k... However, if it has been sitting then expect to have to go through the car a little bit. It's probably going to need a timing belt, water pump, plugs, fluids changed, and perhaps other little bits after getting it on the road and driving consistently. I bought a 50k original mile SC400 years ago that had sat before. Once I got it on the road I ended up throwing a few grand at it over the first year, but after that it was a bullet proof road warrior.
Old 07-09-19, 12:08 PM
kbelky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply! I did just find out they drove the car about 3 miles on 4 year old gas. I don't even know how the car started! So, I'll add that as a negative to the list. :
Old 07-09-19, 01:05 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Depending on what kind of conditions the car is stored in they'll usually run on fairly old gas... I'd say it's a good sign that it starts and drives without issues. Definitely be prepared to run that old gas out (or drain it) and refill ASAP.
Old 07-09-19, 05:06 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It's a good deal. 75k is nothing for these cars. Buy a GasTapper, use it to siphon out the old gas from the tank into fuel-safe containers and dispose of it. Fill up with some new gas and install a new fuel filter (under the car near the rear). The spark plugs require removing the throttle body and a coolant hose to get to but this is not a procedure that owners can't do in their own driveway. The $600 estimate depends on where it is done. It's easier to just show the technical service manual procedure of steps involved as to why. But if doing it yourself it's just the cost of the plugs, some new Denso plug wires, anti-seize on the plug threads and dielectric grease on the bodies (not tips) of the plugs.

It should also get the coolant drained and replaced with new 50/50 Toyota Pink coolant, fresh brake fluid and at least a general inspection of the condition of the accessory drive belt and of the condition of the timing belt. That timing belt on a 1992-1997 should have been changed at 60k miles. If it hasn't been yet then it definitely needs to be changed.

The tires should be changed if the date on them indicates that they have aged beyond their safe use timeframe.

But all of these things are minor. All in the scope of general maintenance. It sounds like the car itself mechanically and cosmetically is in good shape. The asking price is sound unless there is any hidden damage they have not disclosed to you and it does not sound like this is the case at all.
Old 07-11-19, 12:05 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It's a good deal. 75k is nothing for these cars. Buy a GasTapper, use it to siphon out the old gas from the tank into fuel-safe containers and dispose of it. Fill up with some new gas and install a new fuel filter (under the car near the rear). The spark plugs require removing the throttle body and a coolant hose to get to but this is not a procedure that owners can't do in their own driveway. The $600 estimate depends on where it is done. It's easier to just show the technical service manual procedure of steps involved as to why. But if doing it yourself it's just the cost of the plugs, some new Denso plug wires, anti-seize on the plug threads and dielectric grease on the bodies (not tips) of the plugs.

It should also get the coolant drained and replaced with new 50/50 Toyota Pink coolant, fresh brake fluid and at least a general inspection of the condition of the accessory drive belt and of the condition of the timing belt. That timing belt on a 1992-1997 should have been changed at 60k miles. If it hasn't been yet then it definitely needs to be changed.

The tires should be changed if the date on them indicates that they have aged beyond their safe use timeframe.

But all of these things are minor. All in the scope of general maintenance. It sounds like the car itself mechanically and cosmetically is in good shape. The asking price is sound unless there is any hidden damage they have not disclosed to you and it does not sound like this is the case at all.
Honeslty its a great deal.. and the fact it drove on 4 year old gas is a positive to the reliability of these things.
Old 07-11-19, 12:31 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Imo, if you are not planning on doing any major mods to the engine/trans (e.g. manual swap, etc), you may be better off waiting on a nice 98+ model for the vvti. Or even wait for a 98+ sc400 for the added power and auto 5 speed.
Old 07-11-19, 10:38 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Imo, if you are not planning on doing any major mods to the engine/trans (e.g. manual swap, etc), you may be better off waiting on a nice 98+ model for the vvti. Or even wait for a 98+ sc400 for the added power and auto 5 speed.
This is true.