SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Alignment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 05:20 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Alignment Issues

Is this really an issue for lowered SC's? I finally replaced all of my bushings in the rear to poly's the other day and my friend who helped me out forgot to mark the alignment so when we installed everything back I can't run past 40mph without getting an alignment. And the guy who normally does my alignment is at Temple City and I live in SD so temporarily I had it aligned at a local shop. My SC isn't really that low it's on Tokico Blues struts and Tanabe spring if I'm not mistaken, and it's only about an inch lowered from stock. My regular alignment shop can do up to -1 for the camber on the rear, and this shop I went to keeps on saying they can't go further than -2.4. So is it really an issue for our SC's? I just can't understand it. But anyhow I'm still bringing my SC to my regular alignment shop 'cause he really did a good job last time, even if I have to travel 1 1/2 hours to get there.

If this is really an issue for us, if yes, then do we really have to buy a camber kit just to get it right if I go extremely lower when I install PBM coils in the next few months?
Old 09-30-11, 06:15 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way you need a camber kit with that combo as I am running the same set up with 1 chopped dead coil in front so I am even lower than you and my alignment is spot on.
Old 09-30-11, 06:26 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you know if they're saying they can't physically correct the camber at all, or if they can't correct camber anymore due to toe issues?
Old 09-30-11, 06:30 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Well, I know that it can be done, cause my regular alignment shop was able to do it. I guess my real question is if I go lower, I'm planning 3in more in front and 2.5in in rear from my current set up, will I need a camber correction kit then?
Old 09-30-11, 07:05 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kingphilip
Well, I know that it can be done, cause my regular alignment shop was able to do it. I guess my real question is if I go lower, I'm planning 3in more in front and 2.5in in rear from my current set up, will I need a camber correction kit then?
3 inches lower will need drastic suspension corrections for sure so even a camber kit may not do it for you at that point.
Old 09-30-11, 07:09 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

you wanna lower 3 inches and stay within stock spec? that def won't happen. you'll need to take more drastic measures, which is either get adjustable lca's or have the lca's shortened.
Old 09-30-11, 07:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Will an adjustable rear UCA correct it?

I'm not really sure if my measurements are correct, but this is the height I'm looking to get;

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...look-here.html

I've seen this car in person and I really like the stance of it, the owner is my wife's brother-in-law's brother.

So this one, he had done more to his suspension I guess to get as low as this?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-whatever.html
Old 09-30-11, 08:43 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Go to trueline in chula vista. They do a good job
Old 09-30-11, 08:56 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Yeah, TheKevin actually suggested TrueLine and Clarence Brown at first, but I couldn't run my SC faster than 40mph without spinning out so I decided to do it somewhere I can reach without using the freeway... But I heard they do a good job... Might as well try them before deciding to drive 1 1/2 hours to Temple City...

BTW, have anybody tried ordering R2R poly bushings for the steering rack from MVP Motorsports around August? Have anybody received them already? 'Cause I ordered mine August 11 and I'm still waiting for them, MVP can't even give me an ETA. I really hope it's worth the wait.
Old 09-30-11, 09:54 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Drift motion aluminum bushings are working tip top for me! I was going to order those but could not wait also getting an alignment with out them would be rather pointless as it will chage as soon as you put those in.
Old 09-30-11, 10:02 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

The only reason I decided to get the poly's is because when I changed my rack and pinion it only came with the small bushings for the driver side but not the grommet for the passenger side, and I really wanna change both just for the heck of it, cause I figured I'm trying to restore my SC to good stock running condition, so it would be pointless fixing something halfway... But anyways, like I said, my alignment right now is just temporary, I'm really gonna get another alignment from a pro...
Old 10-01-11, 06:46 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

You can eye ball everything your self. Make sure the tires are straight forward toe wise, then set your camber inwards as far as it will go without rubbing. Caster won't hurt you if you're going straight to your legit shop.

I got back to -1.5* in the rear and front as low as I am, I NEED extra components if I want to go further but I like the feel of the car at -1.5*
Old 10-01-11, 12:09 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

i'm currently at ~ -1.5 in back tucking a bit more than half my stretched 225/40's (on 18x10, yeah i know, stupid stretch, but the tires were free), but i'll soon be dropping the rears lower since the camber correction raised the car to 4x4 status as in the pic, but also correcting more camber, as well as fitting in 245/40's.
alignment mods in back are tcsportline uca's (not really recommended), shortened lca's, bver traction and toe rods.
Old 10-01-11, 12:35 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Is there gonna be an uneven tire wear at -1.5? And how does the whole process go as far as shortening the rear LCA? Isn't the metal gonna soften if we cut and weld it?
Old 10-01-11, 12:48 PM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

uneven tire wear? as in camber wear? very minimal, even stock specs can vary until about -0.9, so it's not that much more. just make sure your toe's straight and there shouldn't be much to worry about.
and if you go to a legit shop to shorten your lca's like battle version or pbm, they'll weld in gussets to reinforce the area around the welds.

Quick Reply: Alignment Issues