Help with my head gasket swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 06:12 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my head gasket swap

Ok so can I re-use the head bolts?
can I get away with reusing the intake manifold gasket?
What are the orders for removing/torqing down the head bolts?
Old 09-19-11, 07:53 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Come on...somebody has to know
Old 09-19-11, 08:22 PM
Gate
Pole Position

"New head bolts - if you've re-used the head bolts twice, you will need a new set because they can only be stretched three times. Using them again will not provide enough force on the head. You will know when this happens if you do not reach 95 ft-lbs of torque during the final head tightening sequence." - found on http://minimopar.knizefamily.net (may not be specific to your vehicle, especially because I failed to identify what vehicle you need help on, but this struck me as a generally universal guideline).

Many DIYs contain absolutely no mention of getting a new intake maniflod gasket but I would get a new one anyways, just me.

I couldn't find the torque order for you car, as I said, I failed to infer what model you're referring to.

Most importantly, I'm one of the least experienced members on this site. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Old 09-19-11, 08:24 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u can reuse them, i dont know the head torque specs. but if its like most toyota's its probably 36 lbft torque plus 90 degree turn.
Old 09-19-11, 08:26 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to autozone.com create an account. then put in your vehicle info, then click on view vehicle repair guides.

lastly search in there for torque sequence and specs. for your engine.

he's right. max i'd use the headbolts twice. be sure you have an angle gauge for your torque wrench. sometimes those head bolts can snap
Old 09-19-11, 08:39 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Sorry for the crap about not mentioning the model 2JZ, I should have known the info you wanted would be basically the same for any year 300 or 400, plus I should have paid attention to your username, anyways thanks for agreeing doomlight
Old 09-19-11, 09:26 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I completely spaced it...cars a 93 sc300
Old 09-19-11, 09:46 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Is your car still running well, able to take you on your errands currently? If so then I'd recommend holding off on the job until you can get your hands on new head bolts. Your old ones might be okay, but if you don't have a habit of frequently removing the head, that's what I'd do. You can get the full set off of most sites for under $50 and that includes tax and shipping, probably much cheaper if you can be more thrifty though.

Intake manifold gasket can be $4 to $12 on average.

Wish I could help more. Looking forward to when you cover all your bases and then show us what you can do.
Old 09-20-11, 04:41 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

please Do NOT reuse factory head bolts .. they are torque to yield type of bolts designed to stretch once ..once they have yielded the specified trq specs thats it .. they will never torqued evenly again.. if oem head bolts are more then 150 , use some arp head studs.. to me its easier to torque using a nut as opposed to hexagon type head that very easy to strip..

for 150 in hardware, why risk another failure ( btw arp can be re used up to 3 times , although i only use max twice)
Old 09-20-11, 04:22 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
please Do NOT reuse factory head bolts .. they are torque to yield type of bolts designed to stretch once ..once they have yielded the specified trq specs thats it .. they will never torqued evenly again.. if oem head bolts are more then 150 , use some arp head studs.. to me its easier to torque using a nut as opposed to hexagon type head that very easy to strip..

for 150 in hardware, why risk another failure ( btw arp can be re used up to 3 times , although i only use max twice)
This is for sure man, the two-time use recommendation was for a 4-cylinder car anyways
Old 09-20-11, 06:45 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Why would the ability to reuse head bolts be dependant on the amount of cylinders? Also anyone have a part number for the arp head studs?
Old 09-20-11, 06:51 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for the double post, my phone browser decided to force quit... Anyway head stud specs would be nice too...length, diameter, etc...is imagine it wouldn't be that hard to source some.

And @ gate. The car doesn't run for more than a block before the temp gauge starts to climb faster thanthe speedometer... To date I've driven the car 3 times
Old 09-20-11, 06:56 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since you're gonna have the head off then just might as well go w/ the arp head studs and if you're planning to go turbo in the future might as well put on a new tt head gasket on to.
Old 09-20-11, 08:30 PM
copermn
Rookie

go with the arp head studs, I did and its amazing.

do not reuse your stock head studs, its a VERY bad idea since they're torque to yield. which are meant only to be used once, that's it.
Old 09-20-11, 10:29 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
Why would the ability to reuse head bolts be dependant on the amount of cylinders? Also anyone have a part number for the arp head studs?
I was just agreeing with the post that said don't reuse them. I put that link to the site that said you could but I mentioned in my original post that that was for a completely different car that happened to be a 4 cyl. I honestly have no idea if that had anything to do with it. And they might not have been right about that anyways. it was the first reference i found. I've never even removed a head before.

Quick Reply: Help with my head gasket swap