Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Common leak points on an sc400?

Old 09-19-11, 01:31 PM   #1
OBEY414
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Common leak points on an sc400?

Hello i just purchased A 97 sc400, took it in to replace sparkplugs, but the technician called me and said before i do this i would like to warn you the spark plugs wires might get stripped so i said hold off on that he also told me:

I have oil leaks and he couldn't tell me where.

What would be some spots to look at or replace?

Thank you~!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
OBEY414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 01:47 PM   #2
Nova
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (16)

nooneknowsnova @nooneknowsnova oO TK Nova Oo
Send a message via AIM to Nova Send a message via Skype™ to Nova

first off can we get some more info about your car, mileage, general condition of the engine bay (this is where pics would help) do you have any maintenace records from the previous owner. do you have a general understanding of cars to get in there and look at the car and decipher what u see?

and what sort of mechanic are you taking your car too that he cant figure out where a leak is coming from. doesnt he have dye and a UV light???
please add pictures and a clear description to your "i need help" threads. it makes it easier for people help!

JOIN MY NETWORKING THREAD!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-...ng-thread.html
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 09:47 PM   #3
Gate
Pole Position

Uh, if a mech told me wires might get stripped just by replacing plugs I'd be like "wut". Okay, maybe your wires are dinosaurs, but still...

anyways you should do plugs yourself, very easy, and yes dye and UV light fo sezzle ma bezzle
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 09:59 PM   #4
fleishelja
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

ya thats ridiculous if the mechanic cant find where a leak is coming from. common leaking points on these cars depends on how many miles and what year it is. I had a 97 and I replaced the valve cover gaskets, cam and crank seals, dipstick tube o-ring, rear main seal, and the shift shaft seals on the side of the trans. all of these are fairly common when approaching 200k miles.
fleishelja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 11:11 PM   #5
OBEY414
Rookie

It has 137k i dont see any leaks i see some old crusty oil here and there but nothing out of the ordinary, maybe he just wanted more $ out my ***.
Old 09-20-11, 12:32 AM   #6
xspsi6
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (31)

ps leaks,vc gaskets leak,hydro fan leaks these are the 3 most common leaks on these cars.
Old 09-20-11, 07:42 AM   #7
Nova
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (16)

nooneknowsnova @nooneknowsnova oO TK Nova Oo
Send a message via AIM to Nova Send a message via Skype™ to Nova

Sounds to me like u need to find another mechanic or get a set of tools and do ur own work get some pics of where this old oil is at. Maybe one of use can help with what is or isn't leaking
please add pictures and a clear description to your "i need help" threads. it makes it easier for people help!

JOIN MY NETWORKING THREAD!
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-...ng-thread.html
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 07:15 PM   #8
Asha'man
Lead Lap

I've got a solid six spots under my car that leak right now lol. Pretty sure the tranny drain plug is leaking a little, possibly the pan, definitely the tatters of both boots on the steering rack, I think the PS pump, and valve covers. Mileage and lack of maintenance will do it every time.
Old 09-21-11, 09:49 PM   #9
BigBang
Pole Position

six sounds like alot. ^ lol.

And about that mechanic. He really shouldn't be one if he can't find leaks. It's really not that difficult. You should replace your gaskets if it hasn't been done.
Old 09-22-11, 07:55 AM   #10
OBEY414
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I know for a fact my valve covers are leaking, possibly my oil pan, and possibly my cam seals but i am having the cam seals replaced once i do my timing belt and water pump in a few weeks.

I want to be able to replace the valve cover gaskets myself also the pan. Is this hard for a beginner. When i mean beginner, i mean i never done anything mechincal to my cars. Don't even have tools but will buy some soon.

As for the mechanic yeah i think he just wanted more money out of me cause he said he would have to degrease the engine which would cost me $60 then he could tell....
Old 09-22-11, 07:55 AM