SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Stupid climate bulb burnt out....stupid!

Old 09-27-02, 09:16 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid climate bulb burnt out....stupid!

I find it really really interesting....that I have taken apart the console in last 2 days 2 times....and each time, bulbs that were working before I took it apart were burnt out when I put it back together.
Well today and I wanted to replace the bulbs that backlight the A/C buttons as only my left buttons...on, front defroster, rear defroster lit up.
I only had one bulb though...so I replaced the middle bulb...which controls air circulation and mode. Well I put everything back together and now the left buttons arent lit...and my middle climate control screen is dark. I mean WTF? Why is this happening?
Anyways, Ive read the archives and its not too helpful on this....what is a part number for the bulbs that need to be soldered in? Does Lexus even sell these bulbs? No...not the gray backed screw in blue capped lights-the soldered ones.
Anyone?
Old 09-28-02, 12:44 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey mjr24, I thought lexus doesnt sell this bulbs, but I heard somebody got the bulb from them???not sure.
I got my bulbs(soldered one) from DENSO when I visited Japan during summer time. You can try to find Denso in US. The part number I ordered is 146470-2390 and works great. or I heard from UK, AU members that you can order from Farnell. I was gonna order from them but I was in Japan so I ordered from DENSO. The part number for Farnell is 301-2098 for the LAMP, & 141-768 is for the Blue filters. Farnell distributor in UK can ship to US or you may find some distributor in US . I suggest to contact them and make sure the part number(code number) is for 12v, 3mm bulb. I'm sure they are cheap item. not like $20/bulb from lexus.

Let us know.

Taka

Last edited by Taka; 09-28-02 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-28-02, 01:51 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Taka,
Well its 11:45 at night and I just took apart everything. My other 2 LED's burnt out in the process...so its all dark now.
A few things maybe you can clarify.....
everyone talked about dont cut the LED pins.....but rather bend them. You mean like the 2 sets of 20 pins each right under the LCD right?

This needs to be clarified too...there are 11 bulbs in that block. 3 screw in ones with blue cap....those are used to backlight the A/C buttons. 3 soldered in ones with blue caps....they light the LCD. Then there are 5 more soldered in ones...green and orange, which are the little colors that come on when you press the A/C button, etc etc.

Anyways Taka...I doubt Lexus sells this bulb....but I think people keep getting the 2 sets of blue capped lights mixed up. Taka, is your LCD the same brightness and color as it was before?? Or were the bulbs you got from DENSO different once they were installed?
Old 09-28-02, 02:11 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mjr24
everyone talked about dont cut the LED pins.....but rather bend them. You mean like the 2 sets of 20 pins each right under the LCD right?
Yea, if you can bend them(which many of members did), go for it. but unfortunately I cut each pins and resoldered them each by each - took many hours.. but works no problem.
This needs to be clarified too...there are 11 bulbs in that block. 3 screw in ones with blue cap....those are used to backlight the A/C buttons. 3 soldered in ones with blue caps....they light the LCD. Then there are 5 more soldered in ones...green and orange, which are the little colors that come on when you press the A/C button, etc etc.
I think you are correct
Taka, is your LCD the same brightness and color as it was before?? Or were the bulbs you got from DENSO different once they were installed?
I think they are same brightness. I satisfy with them. but I notice that CD/Cassette LCD backlights and A/C backlights are slightly different. I dont remember if they are originaly the same or not.
Old 09-28-02, 02:32 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I have taken apart the console in last 2 days 2 times....and each time, bulbs that were working before I took it apart were burnt out when I put it back together.
If it ain't broke ......
...... don't fix it.

Or learn how to solder. Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent learning opportunity. But you'll need to get creative. Sounds like more carefull approach will ease troubles.
Old 09-28-02, 03:16 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I was very careful...I dont think it had anything to do with that. I think they were just due to burn out very soon.
AWJ, answer my questions on the drilling a hole in headlight when you get a chance. Thx.
Old 09-28-02, 03:35 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Sorry, I wasn't aware of any questions. I didn't see any in the headlight thread from you. Others have done it and it should be available in a search.

But - I too removed a headlight due to condensation. Used a very small 3/16 or so bit. Drilled at the bottom side of the housing towards the front. 4 holes evenly spaced along the length of the headlight. Be carefull not to press too hard and push too far through or you'll hit the lense. Once installed, you can not even tell there are any extra holes. No more condensation.
Old 09-28-02, 03:39 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

AWJ, you havent had even a DROP of condensation or fogging since you did this?
Have you had ANY negative repercussions as a result of doing that?
Old 09-28-02, 03:42 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Nothing - not a drop. Did it last spring. Not a drop.

... and no negative consequences, just be careful with that drill, Eugene.

Last edited by awj; 09-28-02 at 03:44 AM.
Old 09-28-02, 03:45 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm...well Im going to try to reseal mine once more and if that dont work Im going to drill.
Final question...I have a feeling my fogging has something to do with my drain tubes....if my drain tubes are cracked, etc. will that make a difference? Or will the holes render them pointless as to whether they are working or not?
Old 09-28-02, 03:54 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

One of those rubber pieces fell apart in my hands when I was working on it. I threw it away. The other one had some kind of netting in it that I removed and threw away also. I let the rubber stay cuz it was in decent shape. The holes help. It is all just ventillation basically. Not anything critical. It will solve the condensation.
Old 09-28-02, 03:57 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Great, thanks for your time AWJ.
Old 11-06-02, 07:34 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Taka
but I notice that CD/Cassette LCD backlights and A/C backlights are slightly different. I dont remember if they are originaly the same or not.
They do look a little different on my car, as well, and I believe mine have never been replaced or tampered with. So I don't think they're supposed to be identical.

Ral