Key Remote ROM location

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 07:29 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Devor
couple questions here.

How much does the chip that goes in your Box for the keyless entry cost? Can you use any one or does lexus have a designed chip made for your exact car that you have to buy direct from them?
You cant just buy the chip without getting a new Master Key (key with chip inside key) for the 92-95. You'll have to buy a key set from lexus which includes new master keys (includes chip in key) and the ROM which is placed into the keyless entry ECU. You cant mix match the master keys and the ROM even if you find a blank/uncut master. So if your looking to buy used you'll have to not only get the ROM out of the ECU in the donor car but also the donor cars master keys. You'd then have to carefully pull out the chip inside the donor master key and replace with the chip in the master key that fits into your car/ignition. To do this you'd have to resolder in the chip in order for the antenna on the key itself to work.

If your master keys are toast or pretty much ruined and wont go onto a key ring you're better off buying a new set from the dealer if you want the stock factory system.
Old 04-17-12, 09:19 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Sewell Lexus has the best price for Club Lexus members. You give them your VIN and they will cut the master key and ship it and the chip. You can buy a set of keys. You can then install the chip in the ECU in the car yourself or have your dealer do it.

I tore my old key apart trying to find if there was a connection that needed to be soldered. I don't think you can remove and replace the electronics in the key. Just my opinion.
Old 04-18-12, 01:45 AM
Devor
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well played guys thanks!

so then is it really possible for the chip or ECU keyless entry unit to go bad? I have a feeling its kust that my key was prob hit with water being the button was missing and all too.
Old 04-18-12, 01:16 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

The key can just wear out with time and necessarily from abuse. Keep pushing that little button and sooner or later..........................
Old 04-18-12, 03:49 PM
rbigshow04
Rookie

So when you buy the set of keys is the ROM included or do you have to buy it seperately for the ecu
Old 04-20-12, 01:48 AM
Devor
Pit Crew

From what every1 said its included, But then do we need to have it programed by lexus or is it just unplug the old chip plug the new one in and your good to go? The only thing that could be bad if this is replaced is the wireless ECU unit that hold the chip. Imma check mine out this weekend to see if it unplugged or burnt out before I go and drop 400 on a new set of key..
Old 04-20-12, 02:20 PM
rbigshow04
Rookie

From what every1 said its included, But then do we need to have it programed by lexus or is it just unplug the old chip plug the new one in and your good to go? The only thing that could be bad if this is replaced is the wireless ECU unit that hold the chip. Imma check mine out this weekend to see if it unplugged or burnt out before I go and drop 400 on a new set of key..
Well let us know how it goes when you check it out
Old 04-21-12, 08:20 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The set comes programed when you buy from Lexus. You simply unplug the old one and plug in the new one. Those prices in my original post also included cutting the key to your car as well.

Your other options are to check out O.L.T. post. It could be that the soldering inside your key is broken. Some have reported re-soldering it, which this actually acts as the antenna for the chip in the key. Others have repaired the antenna inside the car...I believe this has something to do with the back glass window...but check out O.L.T's post as well its pretty informative. But if your keys are junk you might as well get new master keys.
Old 04-24-12, 05:28 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My remote locks stopped working a couple of years ago. After reading this thread, I realized (remembered?) that there is a switch on the dash for the remote. Problem solved!
Old 07-27-12, 11:10 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone elses car beep when you lock/unlock? Mine does NOT and im paranoid walking away from the car without a confirmation.. How do I fix this?
Old 07-27-12, 06:30 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I just dealt with this today.

My original key I got with the car never had keyless then eventually the tumbler locked up in the ignition column.

I ended up sourcing an entire set from RGW Salvage (entire set, doors, trunk, etc, etc) and then left my oem ROM in the deal.

I got the key for $140 (single button) plus cut for free thanks to a buddy helping me out. For the record, they can decode your key and create a perfect original without the imperfections from wear. Mine was 40** for example, each key has a random four digit code from what I could tell.

Cut a new one, followed the instructions to program the wireless function to my OEM rom, and then the key was cut for the new key/vin tumbler configuration. I basically have a hybrid key with two separate deals but now my keyless works!

That beep was music to my ears!

For the record:

1) I didn't have the new vin's ROM in there. In fact, the new VIN didn't even have keyless as an option with the VIN looked up.
2) When we looked at everything, 92-94, 95, and 97+ all had different keys

Also, used these instructions to program the remote to work in the car...

1. Start with key out of switch, drivers door open, all other doors and trunk closed, doors unlocked.

2. Insert key in ignition, DO NOT TURN ON, and remove key.

3. Using drivers side power door lock button, lock and unlock doors 5 times within 40 seconds, ending with doors unlocked.

4. Close drivers door and open it. Again lock and unlock doors 5 times within 40 seconds, ending with doors unlocked.

5. Insert NEW key into ignition and turn from LOCK to ON to LOCK one time. Remove key from ignition.

6. Door locks will cycle one time.

7. Press lock button on transmitter for at least one second. Door locks will cycle.

10. Within 20 seconds, close drivers door and open it and press button on transmtter again for at least one second.

11. Door locks will cycle. Wait 20 seconds and registration will be completed.

Last edited by TechGreek; 07-27-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 08:02 PM
2JTsc300
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i tried to search for the part numbers on a lexus parts website with my vina dn it says it wount fit in my car because it s 5spd??? that shouldn't matter right?
Old 03-05-13, 10:51 AM
Waasil
Driver School Candidate

Awesome DIY...Very nice writeup and explination....Thank you very much Zeke..

Please continue these excellent DIYs..
Old 05-07-13, 07:20 AM
Dream36
Pole Position

yes I am resurrecting this thread for a question.

Is there a key fob like a seperate unit I can buy and attach to my key ring? I really dont want to go to dealer and pay out the hiney for it. my car is a 92 and both keys are valet keys.

Also, could I possibly pick up a later model flip out key with fob and have that programmed?

thanks in advance
Old 05-07-13, 09:02 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dream36
yes I am resurrecting this thread for a question.

Is there a key fob like a seperate unit I can buy and attach to my key ring? I really dont want to go to dealer and pay out the hiney for it. my car is a 92 and both keys are valet keys.

Also, could I possibly pick up a later model flip out key with fob and have that programmed?

thanks in advance
The receiver in the car has a chip with a built in program to respond only to a key that will deliver the proper signal. The key and receiver chip are sold as a package if you need a replacement key. I don't see any way you can purchase a fob that would have the proper signal for the receiver.