I just dealt with this today.
My original key I got with the car never had keyless then eventually the tumbler locked up in the ignition column.
I ended up sourcing an entire set from RGW Salvage (entire set, doors, trunk, etc, etc) and then left my oem ROM in the deal.
I got the key for $140 (single button) plus cut for free thanks to a buddy helping me out. For the record, they can decode your key and create a perfect original without the imperfections from wear. Mine was 40** for example, each key has a random four digit code from what I could tell.
Cut a new one, followed the instructions to program the wireless function to my OEM rom, and then the key was cut for the new key/vin tumbler configuration. I basically have a hybrid key with two separate deals but now my keyless works!
That beep was music to my ears!
For the record:
1) I didn't have the new vin's ROM in there. In fact, the new VIN didn't even have keyless as an option with the VIN looked up.
2) When we looked at everything, 92-94, 95, and 97+ all had different keys
Also, used these instructions to program the remote to work in the car...
1. Start with key out of switch, drivers door open, all other doors and trunk closed, doors unlocked.
2. Insert key in ignition, DO NOT TURN ON, and remove key.
3. Using drivers side power door lock button, lock and unlock doors 5 times within 40 seconds, ending with doors unlocked.
4. Close drivers door and open it. Again lock and unlock doors 5 times within 40 seconds, ending with doors unlocked.
5. Insert NEW key into ignition and turn from LOCK to ON to LOCK one time. Remove key from ignition.
6. Door locks will cycle one time.
7. Press lock button on transmitter for at least one second. Door locks will cycle.
10. Within 20 seconds, close drivers door and open it and press button on transmtter again for at least one second.
11. Door locks will cycle. Wait 20 seconds and registration will be completed.