SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone else have a rough sc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 04:18 PM
Dubrzz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Enough

My second 1998 SC400 was purchased for the engine had 175k miles.
Paid $3500 sight unseen.
It has hail damage all over except the passenger side. That entire side had been rebuilt from a side swipe or something after the hail. The clear coat started peeling the week after i got it.
Now has 215k miles and runs very strong. Well 'broken in' so to speak.
Looks OK at 55 mph. Better at 70 mph. haha
Old 10-05-11, 05:44 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>> My $800 SC Thread <<<

I'm almost ready to post new pics of the latest repairs. It's got black front seats and a custom (read: AutoZone fake leather seat cover spray glued in place) rear seat covering. I'm waiting to get a radio before re-assembling the center console, and I need a exterior door rod assembly before installing the new door panels. I have removed the headlights, baked & disassembled them, and polished till they look like new -- plus they have DDM HIDs for a whopping $35 investment.

The car drives amazingly well for 20 years and 190k miles. You can tell the engineering that went into it even now, and it won't take much to make it a very nice car. I still need to replace radiator hoses and one day hope to get the AC working (no freon) but that's not a big deal since I have another vehicle to drive. Then there's a newer steering wheel, more audio, maybe some performance mods...
Old 10-05-11, 07:11 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine was rough when I bought it for $800. I have an additional $1k in her including the rims and all possible material that I spent on her like sandpaper and paint and whatnot. I keep a detailed account on an excel spreadsheet. I do this because in the past I 've spent tens of thousands of dollars on project cars without ever realizing I had spent so much. The goal of my SC is to make it look and run as good as possible with the least possible money.
Old 10-05-11, 11:29 PM
zppeacock
Rookie

I picked up this for $1200. Sat for a while, Swap was in a running but not finished. Bypassed coolant, new fluids in everything, needs interior, radio, brakes, tires, rims, struts are blown, paint is junk, heater core cracked, no ac, busted power steering line, broken windshield, mirrors missing, locks dont work.... But it runs Perfect. Its slowly coming along.

Old 10-05-11, 11:47 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

^^^Hells yeah! Congrats!
Old 10-06-11, 06:13 AM
V8KLLA
Driver

Dezamn this thread makes my car look good!! My car is rough to me and not as rough as some of these cars.

92 SC400, I over paid for it, but wanted to get into an SC real bad so I bought it quick. It has been running fine, but recently the fuel pump died and the rack and pinion went bad. Fixed the rack already, doing fuel pump this weekend. Other than that, needs paint, dent in the passenger front fender, needs drivers side leather seat repaired and has the typical bad cluster needles and climate control.

I'm beginning the process of fixing all these small issues here pretty soon and will probably have it painted early next year. I thought about selling it several times but just can't get myself to list it for sale, always think I'll miss it too much.

EDIT - Took this pic - makes me sad to see her that dirty.

Last edited by V8KLLA; 10-07-11 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-24-12, 07:29 AM
PedroD400
Driver School Candidate

Bought my SC400 for 1200, came with broken head light dented fenders.... Engine miss firing and interior needs help. Got it running decent now, and need to save up money to make it look at least par. I still love it though
Old 08-24-12, 10:03 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

After all said and done, I think you'll love your car more after doing a lot of work to it. For one, you'll know every inch of the car and trust that something wont just snap from the previous owner neglecting it or something. If its a hobby than who cares, we as humans pay for the things we enjoy. I love my car, regardless if the hood could use aligning, or if the passenger seat wont lean back more, or the tear in the tint or etc etc etc..
Old 08-24-12, 01:53 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kris9884
After all said and done, I think you'll love your car more after doing a lot of work to it. For one, you'll know every inch of the car and trust that something wont just snap from the previous owner neglecting it or something. If its a hobby than who cares, we as humans pay for the things we enjoy. I love my car, regardless...
Seems like every car I've purchased in the past few years is like this. I see the potential where others don't and enjoy wrenching on them & knowing that they look and run the way they do because "I" put in the hours, blood, sweat and beer to get it that way. Wouldn't have it any other way, even on those weeks when I'm walking miles to the train because I'm in the middle of an engine swap/rebuild or rebuilding the suspension, or have the interior stripped...
Old 08-24-12, 02:56 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

hey chrisH where in toronto are you?

there is barely a handfull of us toronto guys on this forum.

If u need a good mechanic I can refer u to mine, hes been working on mine for 3 years or so and he is getting to know these cars very well.
Old 08-24-12, 04:46 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is my work in the beginning, now its my oldest step son's first car... ONLY paid 500, now have 810 in it, and been driving it for a year and a half now. AC blows ice cold.

Here it is.....

Old 08-24-12, 05:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

lol i use those same wheels for winter time ^^^^ i think they are from an aristo, never seen anyone else with them
Old 08-24-12, 07:33 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theyre sc400 wheels, prob a premium option at time of original purchaser. It's definitely rare to see a car with them.
Old 08-25-12, 12:21 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol i use those same wheels for winter time ^^^^ i think they are from an aristo, never seen anyone else with them
ughh I always dreaded the first snow forecast... But now I'll be getting the varrstoens so my XXR's will be my trash wheels this winter lol
Old 08-25-12, 01:55 AM
Davidddd
Pole Position

Got my car for 2k. Interior before overhaul was 2/10. Exterior 7/10 and all service work done.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a rough sc?