SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2jz-ge cam seal question for DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 05:48 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2jz-ge cam seal question for DIY

to the people who work on your car have you done the cam seals using an aftermarket seal such as timken? i did the seals cuz i noticed i lost half a qt of oil ever 3 or so since ive done the seals the leak is even work then before where i see large spots of oil under the car. my question is does anyone have any experience with the aftermarket seals fitting around the cam but not having a tight fit where the seal would meet the cam cap/head.

also did you use a special service tool or whatever u could find to fit that wouldnt damage the seal?
Old 09-05-11, 07:26 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was the oil leaking, or being burnt before the seal swap? I'm curious cause once my timing belt is delivered the car is coming apart for some new parts
Old 09-05-11, 07:40 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

the OEM seals in my car where shot and i had to use dye to find the leak, replaced them when i did my spark plugs and the replacements ripped so i got a second set and now im having the issue
Old 09-07-11, 06:25 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

bump, no one has DIY'd this?!?
Old 09-07-11, 08:09 AM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

i changed them out once with some timkens and they leaked so i went back and did it using timkens again but i put sealant all the way around them i think , its been a while, and no leaks so far.
Old 09-07-11, 08:40 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

I've always used OEM parts when it comes to seals and never had a problem. Here's the part number for the cam seal

90311-40014 SEAL, OIL(FOR CAMSHAFT) 2 x $10.36
Old 09-07-11, 09:20 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Nivek sounds like u had the same problem I did

Lexusftw I dought te owns yesterday. Did either of you use anything special to get the seal seated?
Old 09-07-11, 09:28 AM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

I used the end of a 3/8" extension and a mallet and installed the seal as evenly as possible in stages.
Old 09-07-11, 10:19 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

I added just a bit of RVT sealant on the sides
Old 09-07-11, 11:06 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

use oem seals and you will never have a problem. lube the outside of the seal as well as the cam journal and the inner lip of the seal. press it in evenly with your fingers and then use a short 1/4 inch extension and a rubber mallet to tap them in. do it once, do it right, dont even go back to it.

are you 100% sure your cam seals are leaking. with the amont of leaking you are describing i would expect the timing belt and the timing cover to be filled with oil. this reduced timing belt life and can cause failure.
Old 09-07-11, 11:55 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I am absolutely sure it is the seal leaking. I have the upper and middle timing belt covers off to reduce the oil sitting on the belt. I do understand that I am shortening the belt life but nothing I can do.

My original seal was leaking but nothing crazy did the spark plugs and valve cover gaskets so I figured I'm in there I'll jet do the seals. First set of seals I got from autozone fit perfect but I must have caught it wrong and torn a small hole which blew out. Went to autozone which mysteriously did not have te seals I bought (my guess they were discontinued and needed to be sold). Second set of replacement seals fit around cam snug but did not mate to the head and cam cap.

Thanks for te responses guys I just have to make it home from school and the 5mile drive to work and I can finally tackle this pain in my side
Old 09-07-11, 11:58 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
use oem seals and you will never have a problem. lube the outside of the seal as well as the cam journal and the inner lip of the seal. press it in evenly with your fingers and then use a short 1/4 inch extension and a rubber mallet to tap them in. do it once, do it right, dont even go back to it.

are you 100% sure your cam seals are leaking. with the amont of leaking you are describing i would expect the timing belt and the timing cover to be filled with oil. this reduced timing belt life and can cause failure.
yeah it might be your crank seal a.k.a front main seal
Old 09-07-11, 01:33 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

I NEVER mess with aftermarket engine seals....ALWAYS go OEM!....do it once...do it right! sorry to hear your putting yourself thru so much crap....lesson learned the hard way.
Old 09-07-11, 06:58 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kez
yeah it might be your crank seal a.k.a front main seal
Kyle drive over here and tell me that!! Lol I'll make sure to show you the oil leak

Dweeb thanks for the words, been a rough week. But on a side note my felpro valve cover gaskets are doing great
Old 09-08-11, 06:25 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

OEM seals ftw, im going to contact Timken to inform them of their seal issue to see if they offer me any sort of resolve. thanks for the replys everyone!

Quick Reply: 2jz-ge cam seal question for DIY