SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AEM V2 Start-up Problems - SC300

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-11, 03:39 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AEM V2 Start-up Problems - SC300

Need alil help on getting my car to fire.

Spent all day wiring in my 3.5 map sensor / Air intake sensor / and UEGO wideband. Re-pinned the necessary wires into the harness. I'm getting correct feedback from the MAP, and the AIT sensor is reading 90 degrees which is correct. The UEGO sensor is also steaming fine.

Checklist:
Used 3.5 map sensor sc300 start up cal
Used throttle sensor calibration wizard and set the MIN and MAX values
The STAT is ON while cranking which means the crank and cam sensors are reading properly when cranking.

The car stumbles occasionally like it wants to fire but doesn't. Can you guys who have ran V1 or V2 help me put together a checklist to ensure I've got everything set up correctly.

Keep in mind the car is bone stock from the ignition to fuel injectors to intake manifold / throttle body and sensors.

I did notice that the fuel is set for the supra TT 550's and I tried the toyota 330's with no help. Also noticed all 3 coils were checked on, tried checking off 2 and 3 and it didn't help either.

HELP!!

EDIT:

Figured out what was wrong! Updated the AEMTuner to 2.8 as well as reflashed the aem unit with 1v23 and it had all the sc300 non turbo parameters in there. Initially when I tried earlier I noticed that there weren't sc300 / NA Supra options for all of the parameters. The car fired right up but the idle / rpms are all over the place but I'm pretty sure this is due to me still needing to permanently bolt down the wideband sensor. I'm gonna find a spot to weld the bung tomorrow and see if the idle settles as the it's bouncing. I've heard that this is due to 1 or more parameters being far off wack and it causes all the triggers and sensors to "hunt" for the right setting which is not there.

When syncing timing, does the timing light need to be connection to the plug wire going from the coil pack to the dizzy? I did this, aimed down at the crank pulley, I could see a line on the pulley but I could not see anything to reference to behind it to see if the timing is correct.

Last edited by HiPSI; 08-14-11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 03:57 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

did you sync the timing , if not it will not know where timing is
Old 08-14-11, 04:06 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
did you sync the timing , if not it will not know where timing is
As in lock the timing? I tried locking it to 10 deg.
Old 08-15-11, 04:33 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPSI
Need alil help on getting my car to fire.
when syncing timing, does the timing light need to be connection to the plug wire going from the coil pack to the dizzy? I did this, aimed down at the crank pulley, I could see a line on the pulley but I could not see anything to reference to behind it to see if the timing is correct.
did you setup to lock timing .. did you set timing to 10.07 in aem and select hold/lock.. attach timing light lead to spark plug 1 from head .. check and make sure actual timing reading from crank pulley is a touch above 10 deg mark if not loosen 12mm nut at dizzy and turn up or down to match aem .then lock it in

if you cant see timing numbers on cover , it may be covered with grease...
Old 08-15-11, 06:11 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexforlife
did you setup to lock timing .. did you set timing to 10.07 in aem and select hold/lock.. attach timing light lead to spark plug 1 from head .. check and make sure actual timing reading from crank pulley is a touch above 10 deg mark if not loosen 12mm nut at dizzy and turn up or down to match aem .then lock it in

if you cant see timing numbers on cover , it may be covered with grease...
I'm gonna check that today to make sure actual timing is correct. I'm assuming that you can change this by either adjusting it through AEM or adjusting the dizzy or CPS up or down?

I figured out what was wrong though, apparently the software was significantly different from 2.7 - 2.8 and firmware 1v17 to 1v23 because it started first try on the new one.