SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Calling the 1JZGTE and 2JZGTE guys!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-11, 03:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Calling the 1JZGTE and 2JZGTE guys!

I have finally got my parts lists together and narrowing it down to what company to buy my motor and tranny from. I have decided to go with the 1JZGTE with a R154, after riding in one and heard NOTHING but goods things about them. So that part is settled.

This thread is about what company you chose, your personal experiences (good and bad), shipping (costs), delivery times, all the things you were promised, anything broke, wires cut, or exposed, warranty issues, and finally customer service. I looked at Ebay, several JDM manufactures from New York, Canada, and Texas. The best price I found was out of Texas, with a 1JZGTE, all accessories, wiring and NO ECU, shipped to the door was 2500.. I am looking for a low mileage and clean motor with a good tingling feeling when it arrives..lol

I know there will be small issues, but want to assure I choose the right decision. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-11, 05:51 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2500 shipped for a 1j with no ECU is highway robbery. There are much better deals out there. Should be around 1K less than that
Old 08-09-11, 05:54 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If that includes an r154 then I don't think its a bad price.
Motor alone without ECU yes it robbery.

I paid $2350 picked up for 1JZ+R154 both out of a Soarer. The only thing I didn't get was a MAP sensor.
Old 08-09-11, 06:48 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're swapping into an SC400 make sure it's a rear sump 1JZ with a clutch fan from a soarer. With a chaser engine you'd need to source sc300 oil pans and mount brackets. A lot of chaser engines including the so called "uncut" harness lack two ECU plugs.

eBay is a good start but sometimes it's easier to find cost-effective engines from smaller local importers.
Old 08-09-11, 10:27 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

shipped to your door for 1j and r154 isent a aweful price. what kind of condition is it in?
Old 08-10-11, 06:22 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ha i was just about to make this thread... im going 1jay anyone on here deal with jdm engine depot in kearny nj?
Old 08-10-11, 02:43 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Originally Posted by kez
ha i was just about to make this thread... im going 1jay anyone on here deal with jdm engine depot in kearny nj?
I have heard good things but did not deal directly with them. They didn't have any soarer 1jz's in stock as of last month.
Old 08-10-11, 03:23 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Any importer that can give you a list and compression verification paper work is a good place. Bad compression equals upset driver. Imo
Old 08-10-11, 06:16 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it is a gamble when you buy a gte engine. I bought an Aristo swap from JHot, $2100 shipped.

It had some sludge under the valve covers, and I suspect that lack of maintenance put some excessive wear on it.

It ran/runs great, but it does smoke and I have yet to solve that annoying issue. Pretty sure its in the head as that is the only thing I have not gone through.

Otherwise, the swap was 100% complete, including the Aristo airbox, intercooler, driveshaft, harness(uncut) ecu etc.

I have said before that I prefer non-vvti. With that said, in order to get a low mile clean engine, if I had to do it again I would probably go for a late model VVT-I/V161 or 1jzgte VVT-I/R154 combo.

I would not buy any engine unless I could pull a valve cover and run a compression test.
Old 08-10-11, 07:53 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the responses but is there any more tests or questions i should ask before sending money? Besides a compression test paperwork? I have also heard good things about tigerjapanese and jdm out of new jersey.

Any more concerns or places?
Old 08-10-11, 08:00 PM
VinSCe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually heard a lot of BAD about tigerjap. so you might want to check them out a bit more before you buy from them.

Honestly, it's best to go buy an engine you could see locally. Even some of the worst suppliers will run across better examples of engine sets every once in a while and vice versa.

Checking out an engine in person allows you to haggle a bit and allows you to choose the best engine from their stock. You'll know exactly what you're paying for.
Old 08-10-11, 08:58 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

There are actually two JDM's in NJ. JDM Engine ZONE and JDM Engine DEPOT. Not to be confused with JDM Engine WORLD in NYC

(I wonder who stole whose name first????)
Old 08-10-11, 09:05 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by account2x
If you're swapping into an SC400 make sure it's a rear sump 1JZ with a clutch fan from a soarer. With a chaser engine you'd need to source sc300 oil pans and mount brackets. A lot of chaser engines including the so called "uncut" harness lack two ECU plugs.

eBay is a good start but sometimes it's easier to find cost-effective engines from smaller local importers.

and you can get at least one of those missing plugs from an old es300(proof).
Old 08-10-11, 09:44 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by megamax
and you can get at least one of those missing plugs from an old es300(proof).
True but it's more hassle and in the area I'm in most junkyards don't want to cut the harness or want to sell the ecu with the pigtails.
Old 08-11-11, 07:29 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Well, it is a gamble when you buy a gte engine. I bought an Aristo swap from JHot, $2100 shipped.

It had some sludge under the valve covers, and I suspect that lack of maintenance put some excessive wear on it.

It ran/runs great, but it does smoke and I have yet to solve that annoying issue. Pretty sure its in the head as that is the only thing I have not gone through.

Otherwise, the swap was 100% complete, including the Aristo airbox, intercooler, driveshaft, harness(uncut) ecu etc.

I have said before that I prefer non-vvti. With that said, in order to get a low mile clean engine, if I had to do it again I would probably go for a late model VVT-I/V161 or 1jzgte VVT-I/R154 combo.

I would not buy any engine unless I could pull a valve cover and run a compression test.
You are 100% correct exactly why i bought a chaser engine because all the soarer and supra were sludge to hell gummed up and missinf alot of parts.
For me it was either a Clean Chaser motor and paid tweak to do my wiring or but the soarer engine for the harness with sludged up engine and tear is apart and rebuild it which will cost more If you think about it, pistons , rings, bearings, studs, decking block and head honing, hg kit etc... this stuff adds up.

You have to weight your options, like i did and remember these are just like junkyards engines you have to do a preventive maintenance on these sometimes a full rebuild.

Do not buy from Tiger japanese, JDM engine depot you will be sorry.

these guys are great i bought engines from these for swap i have done
http://www.jdmenginezone.com/engines/jdm-toyota/ talk to tony he is the owner and he take care of you.
http://www.japaneseengineimport.com/ talk to phill he is the owner and he will take care of you.

Again do not buy from tiger you will get screw, they will take you money and they won't pick up your phone calls trust me on this.

Quick Reply: Calling the 1JZGTE and 2JZGTE guys!