SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Toyota Type T-IV ATF

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 10:22 AM
rbigshow04
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x

Third is to disconnect the transmission cooler line and run it into a container.
There's two hoses next to each other right? Is it the bottom hose or the one right above it
Old 08-03-11, 03:23 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Dear Lord, merciful heavens and graciousness, where art thou finding these righteous prices? For the job I'm doing (as a temporary safety procedure just to tide me over for a month until I get a full fluid change done) I asked my local Toyota dealership for a quote on 4 quarts, and they said $33.01! Just for 4 quarts! I even asked about bulk discounts. They said no such thing exists. Why are they selling it to some of you guys for 3.99/quart and over $8/quart to me? I need to go pick it up soon but would be excited to hear of a "secret". P.S. online ordering is not an option for me, I coordinated my schedule in exact accordance with the date I fix the car (transmission, alternator, brakes) and I must select and make my purchase this Friday in person somewhere, I can't wait for something in the mail. I know the dealership is pretty much my only route as far as that goes, but I can't seem to get it for less than $8.01/quart. I can't even afford the gallon of coolant I'll be needing due to the removal of the overfill tank that was necessary to ease the access of the alternator at that rate.
Old 08-03-11, 03:49 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbigshow04
There's two hoses next to each other right? Is it the bottom hose or the one right above it
The hose going into the passenger side hole in the transmission. That is the shorter metal line out of the transmission cooler. I believe.
Old 08-03-11, 03:53 PM
tinman
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my T-IV at Toyota of Naperville in Illinois (The Lexus dealer quoted me more the Toyota Dealership). For coolant, I suggest Zerex Asian Vehicle coolant. It's ~12/gallon at NAPA. Not sure what other parts stores have it.
Old 08-03-11, 03:58 PM
rbigshow04
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gate
Dear Lord, merciful heavens and graciousness, where art thou finding these righteous prices? For the job I'm doing (as a temporary safety procedure just to tide me over for a month until I get a full fluid change done) I asked my local Toyota dealership for a quote on 4 quarts, and they said $33.01! Just for 4 quarts! I even asked about bulk discounts. They said no such thing exists. Why are they selling it to some of you guys for 3.99/quart and over $8/quart to me? I need to go pick it up soon but would be excited to hear of a "secret". P.S. online ordering is not an option for me, I coordinated my schedule in exact accordance with the date I fix the car (transmission, alternator, brakes) and I must select and make my purchase this Friday in person somewhere, I can't wait for something in the mail. I know the dealership is pretty much my only route as far as that goes, but I can't seem to get it for less than $8.01/quart. I can't even afford the gallon of coolant I'll be needing due to the removal of the overfill tank that was necessary to ease the access of the alternator at that rate.
Where exactly in CA are you in???
Old 08-03-11, 05:17 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rbigshow04
Where exactly in CA are you in???
I'm in the Inland Empire, which is in the County of Riverside. I'm in the city of Temecula, about an hour or two away from San Diego.

And I swear to Jesus and God that that's what they quoted me. I'm absolutely positive I heard them right because I asked the man to repeat himself three times. At regular price, if I were to come in and make my desired purchase, the 4 quarts would cost me, including tax, exactly $33.01. Thats basically that's $8.25 per quart. FTW (that's wtf backwards, not "for the win" - not just because that's how the abbreviations work, but because that price is literally not for the win).
Old 08-03-11, 05:19 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by account2x
The hose going into the passenger side hole in the transmission. That is the shorter metal line out of the transmission cooler. I believe.
That is the truth.
Old 08-03-11, 06:10 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you that think you can get away with using anything other than t-iv fluid YOU CAN NOT GETAWAY WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will state this again... The other fluids will make the car move as it should and most likely run and drive fine for a while BUT the other fluids do not contain the friction modifiers needed to properly work in the tt or sc400 trans so if 10-20 dollars is worth risking your trans for then by all means be my guest.
Old 08-03-11, 06:24 PM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xspsi6
For those of you that think you can get away with using anything other than t-iv fluid YOU CAN NOT GETAWAY WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will state this again... The other fluids will make the car move as it should and most likely run and drive fine for a while BUT the other fluids do not contain the friction modifiers needed to properly work in the tt or sc400 trans so if 10-20 dollars is worth risking your trans for then by all means be my guest.
I'm shelling out $33.01 for 4 quarts of the real stuff on Friday... It'll burn a hole in my pocket, but better than in my transmission.
Old 08-03-11, 08:11 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

They are hosing you! I paid around 45.00 for a case but it is the only way to go my friend
Old 08-06-11, 09:27 AM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gate
$40? How many quarts did that get you? Did you have to go in person to get that price? I luckily have a Toyota dealer right across the street. The dealership that actually sells the new Toyota vehicles, they should have it right? I'll call right now...
A full case 12 quarts...
Old 09-18-11, 02:45 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Everything is good for now, trans has been doing good, cycled 12 quarts through and it looks new, i put sealant on the top of the gasket like an idiot instead of just under it, surely the cause of the current leak. No big deal. already confirmed it to be from the pan, my *******y job. Gonna need another gasket and a few more quarts to do it right, but everything pretty much a-okay
Old 09-18-11, 07:37 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

u should of done a diy... lol i want to do this to my car
Old 09-18-11, 10:26 AM
Gate
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmh
u should of done a diy... lol i want to do this to my car
LOL I'm flattered, I'm proud of a lot of the work I've done but I've made my fair share of mistakes - basically, I'm saying that a lot of other people on here are way more experienced than me and have done their own DIYs... but hey, you're very encouraging! Maybe I could invent a totally new genre of DIYs focused on extensive lists of what NOT to do, knowledge gained through real experiences!

Actually, I think I will do that!

Hey everybody, a transmission fluid change DIY themed to what not to do is coming your way soon! Hehe, this is gonna be fun...
Old 09-18-11, 11:34 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Type t-iv is almost the same as dex 3 minus 1 key element which is the friction modifiers that are the KEY to making your trans last in the v8 or tt transmissions however the sc or gs300 can use dex 3 although I still never do it.

Those of you that think you can use a sub for T-IV are not properly educated.

Quick Reply: Toyota Type T-IV ATF