SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 sc400 wont start and stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-11, 04:07 PM
sc400jeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 sc400 wont start and stuck in park

Hey everybody, I have a 92 sc400 and my alternator fuse blew, I changed it today and started my car without any problems, I then drove 1 block and it blew again, when I got home I put the car in park and now it wont shift out of park, is it normal when the alt fuse is blown to not go out of park?? Also I would like to add This fuse has blown on me quite a few times, what could cause this problem? ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. thanks.
Old 07-26-11, 05:59 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u should probably have that altenator checked. thats a big fuse. and it tells me you have a short inside that altenator to blow that big 100amp fuse.
Old 07-26-11, 06:19 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

if your car wont start i dont think it will shift out of park
Old 07-26-11, 06:48 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My thoughts exactly. Check your ground and assure its properly grounded and secured. Also have your alternator checked with a load on it. Do you have a battery light on at all or in the past?
Old 07-26-11, 07:05 PM
sc400jeff
Driver School Candidate

Ok ill check the ground and have the alternator tested, and no therse no battery light on, and thanks for clearing up the fact that it wont shift out park if it wont start, I was seriously concerned with the transmission there for a second for some reason but ive never had problems with it so Ill rule that out. lol...also I was wondering, do you happen to know where the alternator ground is located? i guess i can google it but theres not much support for this car on the web..or at least I have rarely found it lol....and thanks for the help guys, btw im new to this forum but i plan on doing major work to this car so you will probably be hearing from me many more times in the future, 2jz swap...YIKES!! im nervous about that.
Old 07-26-11, 07:18 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

like said before you need a short to blow a fuse, do you have an oil leak?
Old 07-26-11, 07:22 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc400jeff
do you happen to know where the alternator ground is located?
look at the altenator.. find all the wires on the altenator the one grounded is the ground
Old 07-26-11, 07:45 PM
sc400jeff
Driver School Candidate

i dont think i have an oil leak and if i do i cant tell because i dont park on pavement where im living now so i havent noticed if i do or not, and yeah i figured there was a short because its blown before but i changed the fuse and it ran for several months without blowing again..strange i know but it happened that way for awhile, i just now decided to solve the problem since it has happened 2 times back to back now...ill check the ground on the alternator tomorrow and let you guys know what i find, if ground is secure i will have the alt tested, if alt is bad obviously ill replace it if not ill look for an oil leak...i really really appreciate the help finding this issue. thanks
Old 07-27-11, 05:34 AM
BenFTW
Driver School Candidate

Check all your fuses too while your at it, Sounds like maybe youve popped your Nuetral Safety switch fuse. Which will prevent you from taking the car out of park once running. You can however put the car to the "on" position, shift it to nuetral and crank it to put the car in Drive or Reverse... But once in park it will stay with that fuse blown.
Old 07-27-11, 09:32 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc400jeff
i dont think i have an oil leak and if i do i cant tell because i dont park on pavement where im living now so i havent noticed if i do or not, and yeah i figured there was a short because its blown before but i changed the fuse and it ran for several months without blowing again..strange i know but it happened that way for awhile, i just now decided to solve the problem since it has happened 2 times back to back now...ill check the ground on the alternator tomorrow and let you guys know what i find, if ground is secure i will have the alt tested, if alt is bad obviously ill replace it if not ill look for an oil leak...i really really appreciate the help finding this issue. thanks
i am just saying it sounds like textbook oil leak probs just touch the starter to see if its coverd with oil
Old 07-27-11, 10:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

First, if you blow the alt fuse ONE time you should find the problem immediately. The fact your car hasn't burned to the ground is a miracle after replacing it multiple times. Fuses aren't underrated..... they are put in with a tolerance. If you exceed the tolerance the fuse blows only when the system is very over amped. This is no little fuse either.......

The alternator power wire comes off the back of the alt and travels across the back of the car across the upper firewall to the fuse block. On the back of the alt rubber and plastic mounts and grommets keep the contacts from touching the alt case and shorting out. While I have seen them break and allow contact, I suspect your issue is the regulator in the alt likely going bad and shorting out.

Regardless, the reason your car won't shift out of park is because it is telling you it's done with this replace the fuse crap. "fix me, or I'm not moving anymore".
Old 07-28-11, 08:33 AM
BenFTW
Driver School Candidate

Bahahahahaha. ^
Old 07-31-11, 12:39 PM
sc400jeff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
First, if you blow the alt fuse ONE time you should find the problem immediately. The fact your car hasn't burned to the ground is a miracle after replacing it multiple times. Fuses aren't underrated..... they are put in with a tolerance. If you exceed the tolerance the fuse blows only when the system is very over amped. This is no little fuse either.......

The alternator power wire comes off the back of the alt and travels across the back of the car across the upper firewall to the fuse block. On the back of the alt rubber and plastic mounts and grommets keep the contacts from touching the alt case and shorting out. While I have seen them break and allow contact, I suspect your issue is the regulator in the alt likely going bad and shorting out.

Regardless, the reason your car won't shift out of park is because it is telling you it's done with this replace the fuse crap. "fix me, or I'm not moving anymore".
hahaha fix me or im not moving anymore, thats hilarious dude...alright well i know i said i would work on it the other day but im just now getting around to it...lets see how this goes..ill keep you guys posted...thanks for the help
Old 08-01-11, 06:04 PM
sc400jeff
Driver School Candidate

got the alternator out and had it tested, tested good but i think its intermittent so im guna replace my alt and see how it goes..btw there was no oil leak that i could find but the alternator was covered in power steering fluid so ill be getting a new power steering pump also, what do u guys think?
Old 08-02-11, 05:32 AM
BenFTW
Driver School Candidate

Good start... Replaced the PS pump if that is what is leaking onto your alternator, replace your alt while you have it out, and go from there man.

Quick Reply: 92 sc400 wont start and stuck in park