SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

mpg is terribly low still, need help !

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-11, 09:39 PM
ryosuke
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mpg is terribly low still, need help !

1. changed engine oil to mobil 1 ($65 bucks)
2. changed fuel filter to autozone fuel filter ($20 bucks filter, $40 bucks labor)
3. not sure if oil filter is changed (easy to change?)
4. changed air filter to k&n air filter ($53 bucks on ebay)
5. straight piped my exhaust, took out both resonators and cats ($120 bucks)

am i paying too much for something?

next on my list is
6. tranny oil (mines black or dark dark brown lol) probably $60 for 6 quarts of tranny oil from autozone and is this easy to change? if not i might have to pay someone to do it for me
7. spark plugs - iridium spark plugs ($50 bucks) that im planning to get and how much is labor cost?
8. what does resetting the ECU do? pull out battery to reset or take out efi fuse? friend said it takes 30 mins and low rpm driving for the ecu to change and give u better mileage

im getting about 170-180 miles to 16.76 gallons.

anything else to help improve my mpg?

my ect button is OFF, and O/D button is pushed in, no O/D off display on dash.

also, seems like everytime i start my car and drive for less than 10-15 mins, my oil line goes down a little bit, almost everytime.

should i go do a FULL tuneup (what consists of a full tune up by the way, cuz it seems like i already did half of it and how much it cost?)

thanks

Last edited by ryosuke; 07-20-11 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-20-11, 09:51 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

definitely do the sparks plugs, cap and rotor and spark plug wires
Old 07-20-11, 10:33 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like "jadu" said spark plugs, cap, rotor, and wires is a start but what are you driving 300 or 400,

are you running a/c the whole time?
does the car feel likes its dragging (no power)?
How many miles on your car?

from what you estimate your getting thats like 11 mpg i got a 400 and even before i did my tune which it really needed i was getting almost 20 mpg in the city while running a/c all day florida is hot...

i would also recommend either doing more research to see if anybody else had the same issue or have a mechanic look at your car before you start throwing money into and never really fix the problem...

Also look up 12v mod i have heard some guys experience poor gas mileage after this mod as it keeps the fuel pump running at full power maybe car has it done to it just a though good luck getting everything sorted out..
Old 07-20-11, 10:57 PM
ryosuke
Rookie

1993 sc400
seems like its a pain in the neck to DIM (do it myself)

should i go to mechanic with the parts all bought? how much is it if they provide parts , say labor is 70 per hour.

i stopped using a/c, after i burned through 25 dollars of gas in less than 30 miles of driving, i can't believe you get 20+ with a/c on all day... hows that possible. with a/c on i get like <10 EASILY, probably even 5-7 lol.

79,000 miles

i filled up with about 17 gallons of gas and maybe 1 gallon in the tank already, right now i'm almost empty and i ran through about 145 + 25, so not even 200 @ 17-18 gallons

car feels okay if i dont gas it, kinds of drags, but when i gas it, it launches.

whats the 12v mod?
Old 07-21-11, 03:31 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

12v mod: SC's fuel pump has low(voltage) and high(voltage) settings from the factory to accommodate different engine speed/situation . Often times this function fails from age and many people bypass the function by tapping into 12V source to have fuel pump at high setting at all times. You can find more info simply by searching.

Btw, spark plugs/wires, cap, and rotors may sound simple, it is not on our cars. It is quite labor intensive so be prepared to spend some money if you're planning on having someone else do the work.

Transmission fluid change is just a little harder than oil change. If you have jack/stands and basic tools + larger size sockets, you should be able to do it.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-11, 08:09 AM
hovsc400
Pole Position

the sparks plugs and etc are a pita on a 400 dont let anyone tell u different but if you are mechanically inclined you can do it fairly easy...

but again it sounds like your having a serious issue corvettes get better gas mileage than that and i would take to a mechanic to have everything checked before you turn into a money pit by just throwing random parts at it....

have you checked to see if your leaking fuel any where or do you smell any fuel when driving?
Old 07-21-11, 08:34 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Do NOT use any other fluid other than Toyota type IV in that transmission!!!!!

A complete tune up is a good place to start as plug gaps could be worn down and the rotors and caps could be carboned/burred up, It should come to life after a good tune up but make sure you get all of the old tune up parts back as a lot of shops don't change the rotors and caps since it's sort of a pita.
Old 07-21-11, 10:22 AM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ryosuke
cut # 2
You changed the oil, but not the oil filter?
Old 07-21-11, 10:49 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

And 65.00 for mobil1? Holy hell you got raped!! Walmart has 5 qt jugs for 26.00 or so.
Old 07-21-11, 12:16 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ryosuke
4. changed air filter to k&n air filter ($53 bucks on ebay)
3. It's easy to do use: Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters
4. I would have stuck with the standard filter.
Oil filter location driver side under the timing belt *See picture*..stick your hand/arm down and twist off. Remember to put an oil trap under the filter, catching the used oil coming out of the old filter. Use the excess/used oil from the old filter to put on the new lip of the new filter and tighten.

Originally Posted by xspsi6
And 65.00 for mobil1? Holy hell you got raped!! Walmart has 5 qt jugs for 26.00 or so.
Keep in mind of the location...NY sales tax is a B itch! and they don't have any Walmart's Unions/Democrats won't allow them.
Old 07-21-11, 01:45 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Remind me never to go to NY lol.

There is only a few things that could cause this, Coolant temp sensor,02 sensors and tune up which check the cts first as it is around 25.00 from a parts store then move down the list and I assume no cel light on?
Old 07-22-11, 01:58 PM
gunyvw
Driver

someone also told you about the fuel filter DO IT.
and someone else said tune up do that also.

you said at #5. straight piped my exhaust, took out both resonators and cats ($120 bucks)

your car operates off of back pressure with what you are describing you dont have any.
what is the status of the 02 sensors.
Old 07-26-11, 04:38 PM
ryosuke
Rookie

done with fuel filter, maybe 1-2 mpg increase at the best?

haven't dont spark plugs

straight piping my exhaust, what does that do for me besides better sound? (i cut off 2x resonators and cata converter)

whats back pressure (excuse my noobness)

and what does o2 sensor do and how do i know its not operating anymore (where is it located as well and is it easy to change?)
Old 07-26-11, 05:01 PM
baodalazi
Rookie

i get about 20mpg with mines with the 12v mod
recently replaced plugs and wires, cap and rotor, air and fuel filter, oil and filter
Old 07-26-11, 05:37 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

[QUOTEyour car operates off of back pressure with what you are describing you dont have any.
what is the status of the 02 sensors.[/QUOTE]

False info^^

Quick Reply: mpg is terribly low still, need help !