SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

12 CD Changer 1993 SC300 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 03:02 PM
Dedik8d1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 12 CD Changer 1993 SC300 problem

My changer has been not working for months. The latest thing to happen was that the changer motor would keep "grinding" Grr, grr, grr, when the changer cover was closed. The cartridge "platform" was stuck all the way at the bottom of the changer, and I could not get it to come up by hitting the eject button. I would leave the changer cover open to stop the motor from running, as the tiny power switch was not being activated.

I read a number of threads today, and I was ready to basically go out and remove the CD player in its entirety. But I am a totally incompetent mechanic and I only have a few junky screw drivers. I could not even comprehend how to remove the player, except with a sledge hammer

So I got mad and said: What the hell, I will try anything at this point. I "faked" out the player by leaving the cover open, but I luckily found the switch which made the rollers turn, showing me where the the grinding sound was occuring, even with the cover open. So based on a few things I read today, I forced in a CD between the rollers (don't know Why I did that, I was just pissed at this point, and I bent the roller bar with a screw driver Just a little. Don't ask me why. It was something I read earlier. I was ready to blow up the entire player if necessary. HA HA

With the CD still in the machine, I put in the empty 12 slot cartridge, closed the cover, hit the EJECT button, and Wah LAH the cd in the machine rolled back into the cartridge, and I was able to remove the cartridge, as the platform rose mysteriously from the bottom to the top. I think it is WITCHCRAFT or something.

So then I got cocky. I put the CD into a cartridge slot, put the cartridge into the player, closed the cover, ran to turn my key on in the car, hit the Play CD button on the radio, and watched as it lit up and showed that it was going to play. Seconds later I had the Grateful Dead CD playing on my car speaker for the first time in months. Now I am afraid to eject the cartridge. I hope I don't have to listen to the same CD over and over again for the rest of my life. What the heck. I will give it a shot and see if I can actually load 2 CD's into the cartridge and see if the rollers will roll out the last CD and play the next CD. I think the rubber rollers are probably dried out, since I lived out in the desert for 5 years, plus they are nearly 20 years old also

As the Grateful Dead say: MISFIT POWER, and I am certainly a misfit when it comes to cars
Old 07-15-11, 05:51 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

lol... u know the cd changers are like dirt cheap right... especially here on clublexus... i got mine for like 20 bucks from some guy.. these things are crap... mine pops open on its own and then the radio says cd error... so i just tapped it shut...
Old 07-15-11, 06:27 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

People have greased the rollers with a little vasoline and other penetrating lubricants.. I cant believe I said that on a website that thousands of people read everyday. :-)

Second option... Replace it with 92-96 ES300 six disc changer.. Its a straight plug and play, just build you a little something in the trunk to take up the original 12 disc changer space..
Old 07-18-11, 07:49 AM
Dedik8d1
Driver School Candidate

Default CD changer

Originally Posted by cmh
lol... u know the cd changers are like dirt cheap right... especially here on clublexus... i got mine for like 20 bucks from some guy.. these things are crap... mine pops open on its own and then the radio says cd error... so i just tapped it shut...
Thank you, I will consider getting a used one that works. However, I can not see how to remove the old one. I don't see any screws to unscrew. It just looks like one solid mass there. Remember, my mechanical skills are pretty non-existent.

When I was thinking about "ripping" it out, I unscrewed 4 tiny screws on the top of the player. That did absolutely nothing, as I was not even able to remove any part of the top. So I put the 4 screws back in place where I had removed them.

That is why I was thinking about a sledge hammer, as I can't see how to easily remove the existing player.
Old 07-18-11, 07:52 AM
Dedik8d1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
People have greased the rollers with a little vasoline and other penetrating lubricants.. I cant believe I said that on a website that thousands of people read everyday. :-)

Second option... Replace it with 92-96 ES300 six disc changer.. Its a straight plug and play, just build you a little something in the trunk to take up the original 12 disc changer space..
Thank you. I noticed yesterday that CD's in slot #1 and #2 would not feed into the player from the cartridge. Those slots are "too worn" I suppose. The CD in slot #3 in the cartridge was the first to feed in. At this point, I will start to load it from slot #3 downward.

Plug and play only works when you can figure out how to remove the old player. I don't see any screws to make it easier. It looks like Ft. Knox sitting in there, with no easy way in. HA HA