SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC400 front lip removal.....need help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-11, 11:41 AM
assass1n
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 front lip removal.....need help...

I've been searching for almost 2 days now on clublexus and even through google and have come up empty. I've seen the exploded diagram of the front bumper but it still doesnt exactly show how to remove it. Like me and my buddy have already remove all 8 screws on each side of the lip but we cant get either end to move. Its like its glued in place. I know theres more screws in the middle but for some reason they just keep spinning, like they've been stripped.... We really need to get the lip off asap and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-15-11, 12:53 PM
MikeSC
Driver School Candidate

I took my front lip off 2yrs. ago. I remember it was pretty difficult to get those last few bolts out....mine snapped off. I know you can order all new hardware with the lip.I have not ordered mine yet. Good luck!
Old 07-15-11, 04:45 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My thoughts exactly.. Just keep at it and remove the middle aluminum brackets with the rusted screws. It should come off..
Old 07-16-11, 10:24 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*Sigh*

If only we lived closer to each other (No homo LOL!) I'd show you the method of how to remove the lip and the mounting hardware without breaking anything...It's surprisingly very easy, It's just too hard to explain on these forums...It's best to show it in person on how it's done.

If anything, To completely remove the lip and all mounting hardware, It will have to involve removing the headlights to access "The other side" of those brackets on the very bottom of the front bumper.
Old 07-16-11, 12:12 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Why are these oem lips so hard to find! I've been looking everywhere craigslist, CL classifieds, u name it. Am I gonna have to go to the stealership?
Old 07-16-11, 12:14 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by OaklandLex
Why are these oem lips so hard to find! I've been looking everywhere craigslist, CL classifieds, u name it. Am I gonna have to go to the stealership?
I think because they only made them for a few years, 92-95 i think.

Also they are quite poular so not alot of them for sale, people ussualy keep them.

Does the dealer not sell them ?
Old 07-16-11, 02:01 PM
schwarz
Pole Position

The reason they are so hard to come by is they were only on 92-94 SC4's and many of them have been broken by curbs over the years. They are flimsy and have 2 weak spots designed into them. Anyway, the dealer probably won't have one. When I went a few years back for a replacement cost, there were 5 left in the country. I doubt they are still anywhere. They retailed for around $600.

As to the original post, if it's busted up, you may have to take some drastic measures to get those bolts and aluminum strips off. It ain't easy and most often then not, the screws are rusted and the aluminum is too soft to hold the nuts in place. Personally, I think it's easier to take off the front bumper to get at the back side but YMMV. Good luck!
Old 07-16-11, 03:13 PM
RemSteele
Rookie

OaklandLex I feel your pain. I'm looking for one also and on the northeast coast there are very few salvage yards that even have these cars, no way I'm gonna find a front lip. I don't want to tell you what I just paid for OEM mudguards from the dealer. If my wife finds out I'll be sleeping in my SC300.

RJ

PS Can someone tell me are these hard to put on? Are the holes pre-drilled?
Old 07-16-11, 04:02 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

Hmm I guess the lip is moving to the bottom of my sc3's mod list lol I see there's a group buy for a big win lip but I like the original one
Old 07-16-11, 05:31 PM
RemSteele
Rookie

That was my question. I had that guy respond to me when I requested an OEM 92-94 lip. That I was told will fit a 95. I have requested pics and question hardware availability.

Thanks,
RJ
Old 07-16-11, 06:07 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RemSteele
PS Can someone tell me are these hard to put on? Are the holes pre-drilled?
They're not hard to put on...However, You need to have a really good eye for drilling the holes (For the mounting hardware) apart at certain distances and be able to do the same exact thing on the other side.

Originally Posted by RemSteele
That I was told will fit a 95. I have requested pics and question hardware availability.
The lip will definitely fit a '95-'96 bumper, Here's a couple pics of it on my car, IMHO it looks better on these year bumpers than they do on '92-'94 bumpers LOL!...In Japan, All Soarers made from '91-'96 all had these lips that were painted to match.

Old 07-16-11, 06:18 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

^^Thats sexy im jealous lol
Old 07-16-11, 10:37 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow that is super nice! Although what's wrong with the hood? Is the paint fading or it's just moist?
Old 07-17-11, 06:51 AM
skirts
Lead Lap

If a company can make a big win rep lip. Why not get someone to make an oem rep lip?
Old 07-17-11, 07:15 AM
soarer93
Pole Position

Just look around for a soarer front lip. im sure of the hundreds of soarers being imported into the country, and even into canada.. ppl arent keeping their stock bumpers and lips.

Quick Reply: 92 SC400 front lip removal.....need help...