SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

FAQ's - Power Steering Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-02, 10:34 PM
lexcoupe94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAQ's - Power Steering Pump Replacement

Here's some info from my previous posts for the FAQ section.

Replacing the Pump:

The pump brackets are mounted at about a 45 degree angle looking at the pump from the front. The outside bolt is higher. After you remove the airbox, overflow tank, pump reservoir and bracket, belt and pump pulley, and some type of vacuum valve on the passenger side of the motor, the side bolts can be removed. They are tough to see; you have to feel for them. I think they were 14mm. Then disconnect the high pressure hose and remove the two front bolts. You gotta pull the pulley off for access to the front bolts. I carefully pried the pump off with a crowbar by prying one side, then rotating the pulley 180 degrees and prying again. I would recommend using a puller, though-would be easier and safer.

Rebuilt pumps are available from PartsAmerica.com and AutoZone.com for reasonable prices.

Bleeding Air From P/S/ Pump:

Try this:
-Check power steering fluid level. Fill if necessary.
-Warm up the car 5 minutes or so to heat up the p/s fluid.
-Jack the front end up and prop up on jackstands so that the wheels turn free.
-Take off the p/s fluid reservoir cap and stuff a rag aroung the reservoir to catch any fluid.
-With car running, turn the wheel full left and right 10 times or so, then straighten wheels and check fluid.
-If fluid level is down, fill to proper hot level and turn full left & right 10 more times. Repeat until no more air or fluid burps out.
-Lower wheels back down and recheck fluid.