SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Which wiring harness for aftermarket radio do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-11, 10:20 PM
redbarron
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which wiring harness for aftermarket radio do I need?

Just bought an Alpine deck from crutch field. Used the tool "outfit my car", recommended me this wiring harness for the install:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207017...e-Harness.html

BUT

My car does have a factory amplifier, so, do I need this one?:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207081...g-Harness.html

confused

Car is a 1992 SC 300 w/o a factory/built in CD changer although I'm sure it has the port for one..don't all of them?...not the KNOCKamichi system, it is a pioneer deck with a pioneer amp.

Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-17-11, 11:56 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

use the search button to find raines thread on installing radio. my advice is get the harness that has no rca,s and only use the power wires from it. then read raines thread on how to wire in the factory amp for the sub. oh yeah and run all new speaker wires to the new deck. you dont want to use the rca,s from the metra harness to hook up the factory 4 channel amp. the new radio will have a better amp anyway. but to clarify if you use the rca hookups and run the factory 4 ch amp you will not be happy! because you will have the dreaded alternator noise bleeding into your music and making your life suck hairy ones. fyi get used to using the search function here on cl because people tend to not help as much with stuff that has been discussed a lot.
Old 06-17-11, 11:58 PM
redbarron
Rookie

Originally Posted by bleedspeed
use the search button to find raines thread on installing radio. my advice is get the harness that has no rca,s and only use the power wires from it. then read raines thread on how to wire in the factory amp for the sub. oh yeah and run all new speaker wires to the new deck. you dont want to use the rca,s from the metra harness to hook up the factory 4 channel amp. the new radio will have a better amp anyway. but to clarify if you use the rca hookups and run the factory 4 ch amp you will not be happy! because you will have the dreaded alternator noise bleeding into your music and making your life suck hairy ones. fyi get used to using the search function here on cl because people tend to not help as much with stuff that has been discussed a lot.
Thanks for being one of the nicer ones .

Thanks man, will do!
Old 06-18-11, 07:06 AM
redbarron
Rookie

Found these threads in case anyone else interested:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ead-units.html
Old 06-18-11, 08:23 AM
yell0w
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran into this issue weeks ago. Originally I was given the first one (2 harness), I plugged it all up and it had no power to turn on the deck. I purchased a double din deck and I drive a 97 sc300. So I don't know if there will be much difference in audio. But I had to go with the second harness (the one with the RCA). It's pretty much plug and play but you do have to cut and splice the speaker wires so they work and that can all be done in the trunk where you stock amp is.