Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 great thread will be watching it.
Old 06-19-11, 03:31 PM
rpcribari
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for viewing!

My name is Ryan. I did the rear mounted turbo setup in Denver. It feels good to hear others are interested in the 1UZFE. My whole family thought I was insane for spending so much time and money on an old SC400. But I knew I was right. This engine has so much potential!

To SC400TT: I watched your video at least 100 times for inspiration.
Old 06-19-11, 03:47 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great post and congrats to this who have the ***** to do this - and I loved the previous post about the 'lots of talkers' here.

I used to have a supra turbo and while I never worked on the turbo, I learned a lot about it, i.e. blow off valves, oil baking and head gasket concerns, etc and there's a helluva lot more to it then just sticking the turbo and intercooler in.

Not that I would, but I'd certainly be the last to criticize someone who thought this out and executed on something so creative and difficult, especially if the people criticizing or offering 'corrections' to his setup can't even change their own brake disks or change out their radiator , etc.

It' sooooo nice to see a more technical post than the daily "post a pic of your Lex" or "check out my new wheels" - lol
Old 06-19-11, 06:04 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Oh god, like you have such a baller car! You're a decade too late for that comment
Always a hater in the crowd. Enlighten me on your definition of a baller car
Old 06-19-11, 07:19 PM
rpcribari
Driver School Candidate

Default Word of warning.

What cost me so much money was the catalytic converters melting and plugging up the exhaust and exploding out the turbo after a modded component failure during the original dyno test. I had to replace the entire ignition system and turbo. I also wasted a bunch of money on a new MAF when it was just the shape of the connecting pipe to the air intake. I spent $10000 but think I wasted about $6000 of it on trial and error. I'm a computer technician turned mechanic only a year ago.
Old 06-19-11, 07:33 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

i wasnt criticizing just asking why the dp was so small
Old 06-19-11, 08:09 PM
rpcribari
Driver School Candidate

Default Credit also goes to my friend Justin.

Id like to officially give partial credit for my success to my friend Justin. We now have our own automotive shop together. I couldn't have done it without him. He literally taught me how to use a wrench. My OCD combined with his automotive skills are what made this finally come true.

Thanks dude!

Last edited by rpcribari; 06-19-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-19-11, 08:38 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

great job man, really interested in doing this to the LS but doesnt look to be low car friendly.
Old 06-19-11, 08:47 PM
MySc4fever
Driver

very interesting bro. congrats on the good results.
Old 06-19-11, 08:49 PM
rpcribari
Driver School Candidate

Default Ground clearance.

Losing 2 inches of ground clearance was annoying. However I'm going to get a V-Speed bodykit so I'd lose the clearance eventually anyway. I have to slow down for about 3 or 4 dips around town.
Old 06-19-11, 08:53 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rpcribari
Losing 2 inches of ground clearance was annoying. However I'm going to get a V-Speed bodykit so I'd lose the clearance eventually anyway. I have to slow down for about 3 or 4 dips around town.
so ur the guy from the OP's video????
Old 06-19-11, 10:46 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

I'd pay $1500-$2000 for this kit if it was produced. Hintitty hint hint.
Old 06-19-11, 10:49 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunyvw
yep space and fab. and time and money and more and more... then water pump leaks... remove all and everything just to get to zero and start the water pump repair... i applaud anybody that has the skill and patience to do it thou.
mount the turbo(s) in the rear and from what i have seen and heard...

(i posted this before because i've been thinking seriously about rear mounting myself.)

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components.

No need for expensive headers, mufflers, or exhaust systems.

Turbo is closer to the tail pipe outlet. Provides a better pressure differential across the turbine wheel which promotes better flow across turbine.

Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front.

Less noise and heat in the passenger compartment.

this guy with a clk 430 rear mount turbo...
READ.
Originally Posted by Backtobasics
Rear mount turbo setups usually require a slightly smaller exhaust side, because the exhaust gases lose heat and thereby volume as the exhaust cools down the exhaust system.

Said another way, the smaller hot side of the turbo will require less exhaust flow to spool it. Since the exhaust cools and contracts, a smaller housing will react quicker, where the larger housing that you would use in a front mount system would have lag, and slow response time.
Originally Posted by rpcribari
What cost me so much money was the catalytic converters melting and plugging up the exhaust and exploding out the turbo after a modded component failure during the original dyno test. I had to replace the entire ignition system and turbo. I also wasted a bunch of money on a new MAF when it was just the shape of the connecting pipe to the air intake. I spent $10000 but think I wasted about $6000 of it on trial and error. I'm a computer technician turned mechanic only a year ago.
O_o
Old 06-20-11, 12:12 AM
Str8sikk
Driver

Dude i have been thinking of doing this since I got my sc400 back in january.. and i literally was thinking last month to just cut out the spare tire well and that it would be perfect....You just proved it. and i also thought about doing the oil rig out back as well. Man this is great. I already priced out so much stuff.. you could literaly do this for less than 1100 if you can weld even a lil bit.

kudos and awesome bro. we need more vids from you for sure
Old 06-20-11, 12:13 AM
Str8sikk
Driver

hell twin turbo is even a great thought

Quick Reply: SC400 Single Turbo (Rear Mount)