SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My HUGE SC300 project and VERTEX questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-11, 02:18 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My HUGE SC300 project and VERTEX questions

Guys! This is a much much bigger project than I had ever envisioned. it got out of control. oh well. So far so good.
At the END of this post I am re printing a post of most of my mods.
SO FAR: 1998 SC300 red with ivory interior. one respray done and not a very good job but fixable....ie wet sanding and some more select re spraying.
I had the front seats BOTH custom re done. WOW! They turned out amazing. PIX later. PLEASE dont give me that this post is useless with out photos.
I KNOW it is. I am pretty sick with an abdominal illness right now and cant even take any photos. So, later, after my big operation.
Description: EXACT match of smooth Ivory leather on bolsters and SIDES and head rests. RED PERFORATED ULTRA SUEDE inserts for the seat and seat backs. SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! And comfortable and practical too!!! We used MEMORY foam on the seats...COMFY!!!
Striking good taste looks!!!
The CENTER CONSOLE was inflated with extra foam and recovered in IVORY ULTRA SUEDE(non perforated). Its MUCH higher which puts my ARM at the perfect height now for crusising!!! SO SO SO much better. I cant tell you. Everyone should do this!!!
The cost was very high for all this but the results were worth it. SO MANY compliments. But best oif all I love it and it enhances the comfort 1000%!!!!

Wheels are 18 inch Enkies that came partially black and some clear coated aluminum> |
NOW, they are all black except the LIPS which are painted exact body color red. From a distance it looks like a nice thin stripe. Up close you can see the whole lip red. Nice effect and LOTS of compliments. NO Aluminum is now exposed. All black or red.

Super tough IMRON clear coated, the wheels! They came with fantastic slotted lug bolts. GREAT value from Tire Rack. Dunlop Star Specs 275's in back and 245's in front. Perfect.
Have brand new lower control arms and BC coil overs ready to install along with all new bushings..some poly. new steering rack bushings too. All ready to install.

I bought new VERTEX FRONT and REAR bumpers...awesome...and CANARDS too which will be bolted and MOLDED to bumper. Canards are special order from Japan Vertex. Very cool
NEW LIGHTS too. All new clear lens head lights with halos and all sorts of things. NOT black background. I didnt like those. i went with a shiny reflective background...looks nicer IMO.
The fogs are still stock.
No side body work.

All new rubber gaskets/weather type gaskets under hood for everything. All new Drivers side DOOR weather stripping. Expensive, but i have wind noise. they need new ones.

Need to fit proper brackets for my Z06 brake calipers in front.

Turbos and all that later.

Anyone out there with Vertex bodywork? Expensive but GREAT stuff!!! Really, really NICE!

I am just way to ill to take any photos...later, i promise! So far, so great!

REPRINT:

I convinced my guy to KISS. Single turbo and no cams right now. He is good at software and engine management. He is pretty sure he can give me what I want without resorting to cams. We can always add them if his work doesnt quite give me what I am looking for.
I am not looking for anything world class. Just nice quick usable power...very drivable stuff. I HAS to be OVER 500HP or its simply not interesting to me. Light road course use and a lot of over the road cruising.
The SC will be my longer trip car.
I have a BMW M3 with almost 800 crank HP that is set up for wicked track use, stiff 750lb linear springs with TC Kline coil overs, OS Giken, the big GT3 wing, elaborate front end aero body work, Recaros, roll bar etc. Not the sort of car that would be first choice for a long trip.
My SC is getting fluffy BC racing coil overs that will JUST make it on the track if I crank up the settings. I got the long extensions for the rears that stick up thru the rear deck.
Thats the plan for the SC anyways and the turbo should reflect its planned usage.
Thanks guys for putting me on the right track.

I have HUGE 30mm front anti away, brand new lower control arms, red 2008 vette Z06 calipers with racing pads..either Endless or Cobalt Friction, Carbing shock tower brace, new bushings everywhere I can find, poly where i can fit them, Vertex front bumper with CANARDS (cool) and some all new lighting package. Enkie 18's with Dunlop Star Spec 245/275, all new covering on front seats with real memory foam both sides, red suede seat inserts and backs too. memory foam in center console arm rest with ivory suede covering.
COMFY!!!!
Just installed 3k worth of Stereo...the new AVIC 120BT with front and rear cameras, Satellite radio, 1800 watts, GPS, Blue tooth...yeah its great!

No pics yet since only the stereo is installed.
Will be shooting the new bumper installation and before and after wheel transformation. We will be painting with Dupont red and IMRON CLEAR COAT!!! Expensive but SUPER HARD.
Yes I did go with 24K gold coated factory badging and antenna bezel. I love the look on red!

I held off on the gold wheels and went red and black with those.
Pics soon. Will be a real nice cruiser.

My lighting package will look great. went with clear lens projectors and HIGH BEAMS, but chrome back ground, not black. Its going to look fantastic.
Angel eyes which i like. I bought Audi type eyebrows, but that will be overkill with the angel eyes. I will run one or the other but doubtful I will run both at once. We'll see.

I will end up with a car that is bling but in good taste. Its a really hard to pull off. its so easy to over do things. I am pretty good at running that fine line.
Its a Lexus, not a Civic boi racer. I like to keep that in mind.
I was just at a HUGE event with scores of SC300's so I know what to do pretty much. I have to say that SC300 owners almost ALL have great taste when they customize their cars. MUCH better than almost any other brand/model. I was very impressed what I saw overall. I am not copying anyone, but I am keeping in the spirit of things by keeping things clean and in good taste.
So many of my mods are things you DONT see. I really get into the guts of the HANDLING of the car...and BRAKING!

Last edited by BigDave121; 06-08-11 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-08-11, 02:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

okay....

where are the pics?
Old 06-08-11, 02:40 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Lots of caps...he must be yelling. Lots of talk with out pics = booooooooooooooooooooring
Old 06-08-11, 02:40 PM
SupLex
Driver School Candidate

^^^ what he said. pics?
Old 06-08-11, 02:43 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Wait.... did anyone even read all that bs?
Old 06-08-11, 02:44 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

or cliff notes?
Old 06-08-11, 02:53 PM
sc5sdanny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good stuff cant wait to see the pics!!! btw LRD sells the brackets for the c6 z06 calipers
Old 06-08-11, 02:53 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

I stopped reading after the 5th all caps word.
Old 06-08-11, 03:46 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 06-08-11, 04:36 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Look, so sorry about the caps. I couldnt help it.. I was just so excited about this project. I have had other car projects, but this one is shaping up so fantastic and so comfortable too that I did get carried away. Is it so annoying that you cant see the soul of the project and go out of your way to write insulting posts? Apparently so. I didnt realize things were that bad. I will refrain from doing so in the future.

So where are we at? You want me to erase it? I am not going to go back and re punctuate it. Yes, yes, i DO see how it might be annoying to readers and i will refrain in the future. But, I cant take away the passion I feel for cars and custom projects. I am extremely passionate about this project in particular.
I am really really sick with an abdominal issue and need to go in tomorrow for surgery or i would be out there taking and posting pix. I am trying to keep my mind off a horrible surgery and post about something good in my life.
I just got off the phone with my auto body guy and the SC300 was on my mind, so I thought I would post.
I can just kill this whole thread if its that offensive to you. or I can snap some half way decent photos of it when I am well enough recovered from surgery.

Its a pretty cool project that is turning out fine so far. All I wanted to do was share with like minded guys. And I get spit on instead?

Yes, I do see your point on the caps. Ok, I agree. A simple reminder that that sort of thing can be detracting from a thread or post is enough of a hint for me to pick up on. Really. Anymore of a response is just taking all the joy out of what is supposed to be a fun sort of thing...sharing a common passion.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Thank you.
Old 06-08-11, 04:44 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing I have learned on the Interwebs is talk is cheap. There is a guy claiming to have a 1000hp DSM. Then just a few days back there was only guy going on and on about his supra, Turned out it wasnt even his.

Take some pictures, Show progress, Then hit us with a wall of text to go with the pictures.

Im looking forward to see where this is going. Good luck on your health man.
Old 06-08-11, 04:57 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
One thing I have learned on the Interwebs is talk is cheap. There is a guy claiming to have a 1000hp DSM. Then just a few days back there was only guy going on and on about his supra, Turned out it wasnt even his.
How about every other week that some noob registers here who bought a $1200 SC an d says he will put in the famous 2jzgte/v160/LSD?

Nobody cares or follows that unless there is something of substance behind it and not just words.

OP... best of luck on the build, just remember that pics speak louder than words.
Old 06-08-11, 06:14 PM
tientony
Driver

Yes we need pics please
Old 06-08-11, 07:12 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

everytime i read one of these post i feel like its a blind date fail, chick says she looks like halle berry and ends up looking predator...and if you have know PICS then it did not happen
Old 06-08-11, 07:26 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

all that money and your wheel set up sounds completely lame. What is your offset f/r? why are you spending 3k dollars on radio stuff and want to take the car to the track and only buy grand worth of coilovers?

Quick Reply: My HUGE SC300 project and VERTEX questions