SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 05:58 PM
therriott15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!

Got into an accident a few weeks back and found out the cost for damages is up to 8000. Can this be right for a hit not even involving the engine area and no structural or axil damage? Talk about expensive, getting just the 12 cd changer and amp replaced is 2500!!!! I find this outrages for just the rear quarter panel being hit. Thanks god the girl's insurance is covering it and not mine or my pocket book. I find this hard to believe but I am dealing with a body shop who is well reputable?

Also, her insurance company supplied me a check for only 4700 from a field appraiser. Since the expenses exceed this by far, how does the rest of the cost pan out, 1) between the body shop and insurance company 2) between me and the body shop 3) between the insurance company and me??? Should I hold off on depositing the check until the final tally is calculated.

If someone with crash experience is familiar with this please let me know because I do not want to be the one eating the extra cost for some silly mistake I make.

therriott15
Attached Thumbnails I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!-brokenhearted.gif  
Old 09-10-02, 06:15 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

1-Its not 8G's worth of damage (just by looking at the photo)
2-dont cash the check!
3-find out what shop her ins. company wants yoo to use and het an estimate from them or find out which one they approve and leave the car there and have them bill her company.

Im not clear on the laws where yoo are but here in Washington we can send a car anyplace we want to get it fixed.

The best way is to call a body shop (if no attorney is involved) and they will give yoo the ins-and-outs on how to deal with ins. companies.

Good luck
Old 09-10-02, 08:35 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Put in an aftermarket amp and CD changer and give her a better sound system for less than $1000... lots of ways to get better-than-stock parts...
Old 09-10-02, 09:19 PM
SilverLS400
Pole Position

ill say 3,500 maxxxx

i dont see no need to charge 8gs for that. I would keep the 4,500 check and the 8,000 to fix it and then sell the car for another 8 or 9 thousand.
Old 09-11-02, 12:03 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$8000 pays for new body panels, new bumper cover, new tail lights, new emblems, and a whole new coat of factory paint around the entire car. If that body shop wants to do that, then by all means let them .
Old 09-11-02, 12:05 AM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

You'll probably have nuff money left over for a spoiler too.
Old 09-11-02, 03:19 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default lol... omg....

No way $8k.... I had a friend get something like that fixed for less than AUS$700 .... that's US$400??? that had perf colourmatching and everything... looks as good as new. (no need to replace the rear light cluster tho... yours looks damaged)

Pocket the cheque the insurance company gives you and then pop into some other forums and ask for good/reasonably priced repairers. Seems like you been shopping in the wrong places.

Toan.
Old 09-11-02, 12:28 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

I dont know the legal issues about accepting the cheque, you could also be accepting the claim as completed, I would check with the insurance company as you dont want to be left with any shortfall if the repairs exceed the amount you have been offered.

In the UK to replace the rear 1/4 panel alone would be $3,000 another $2000 for the CD changer plus bumper/lamps it could easily workout to £5,000GBP or about $7,600USD.

The bill for a damaged front wing (fender) and front bumper was over £2,500 ($3,800) on my Soarer and that was without the additional expense of replacing bent wheel rims, tyres and bottom arms.
Old 09-11-02, 12:50 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Hey my SC400 has been in 2 wrecks. The first one was not that bad but did some damage. The pass. side door fender front and back were damaged. Some paint damage and that was about 2 to 3Ks. We sent the car to Lexus and they sent it to their body shop where they get all their cars done. This body shop is amazing they do lex, benx, vipers and acura. They do fantasic jobs and with a price that outrageous. Anyways then the second was with a bunch of trees in some rain. That damaged the front side and back of the drivers side. The headlight plus fog broke. Whole new front bumber and Lexus L. The back quater panel was fixed and a rim was included. They're going to try and throw in a new black pillar plus get the scratches off the trunk for under 8Ks. I cant remember the exact price for this but I believe it was under 8K like somewhere around 5 or 6K. I think *k for what you got is way too much. If you saw the insureance report you'd think they're rebuilding the whole car. The did a great job in matching the paint and everything is liek brand new. The bumbers and fenders fit perfect. 8K is waaaay too much.
Old 09-11-02, 01:00 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

DO NOT deposit the check. You NEED to get the work done correctly. Even so, cars with body work are worth LESS than without... so, unfortunately just getting the car back asthetically is still a loss for you. I would suggest going with the Lexus Dealer ONLY. They are responsible for fixing the car to its highest standard. You DO NOT want the car done by any old body shop. Demand that the car is repaired AT Lexus AT the other persons expense. Get your insurance guy to haggle with theirs.
Old 09-11-02, 01:11 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

I totally agree with jbrady. Dont get it done anywhere else but lexus or lexus certified. I guaruntee they wont be able to do as good of a job as lexus. Most places cant match the paint perfectly with the exsisting one. I wouldnt never get body work done anywhere else.
Old 09-11-02, 02:09 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus doesn't do any bodywork themselves, they send it out to another shop. Find out what that shop is and take it to them if need be. You can also check the AAA listing on recommended body shops.
Old 09-11-02, 04:23 PM
sphereman
Pole Position

$8000? geez.. get 8k from the insurance company, sell your car as-is. and then buy a newer SC!!
Old 12-16-02, 06:58 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

I hate to resurrect threads but I just got in a car accident and they estimated the damage to be about $3k. I saw some fram damage near the spare tire. Can anybody tell me about the problems involved with repairing frame damage? Is it reliable at a lexus authorized repair shop or will it never be as good as it was?
Old 12-16-02, 07:28 PM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

man, someone did the same thing to my car, my car looked exactly like the way yours does, i took it to the best shope there was, they charged 4000k to fix, 8000k is w0000W

Quick Reply: I has got to know!! Fixing a Lexus is how much!