SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is this 93 SC400 "parts car" worth $750?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 12:09 AM
oldkystude
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is this 93 SC400 "parts car" worth $750?

Need some advise please. Ive been wanting a parts car to support my aging 95 SC400. (Red, black interior, Nakamichi, totally stock and with 230,000 miles).

Located a silver 93 with (per owner) "black leather interior, good tires,good engine, and drivetrain" Hit in back hard enought to pop the left rear window, but supposedly driveable if I replace a canibalized fuel pump relay. all parts aft of the rearwheels are crunched. Interior is "very dirty". looks good otherwise in photos. Just not sure about commonality with my 95 which needs: front exhaust y-pipe, memory mirror controller, Nakamichi amp, front lower control arms, heater control head (unreadable now), tires soon,

I heard the seat color is described as dark grey in 93, not black. I dont mind selling off stuff that i cant use, but the only way i can justify the purchase is if it gets me a car i can pick parts from quickly.

So, is it worth it? I will see it weds. 1.5 hr round trip. Im taking cash and trailer to haul it home, if i like it. What would Ya'll do??
Old 05-10-11, 12:16 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

black interior for 750? buy it. black interior is at least 1k everything else is bonus.
Old 05-10-11, 12:20 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes its worth it who knows maybe he will let it go for less, but yes i say go for it.
Old 05-10-11, 12:31 AM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For $750 you will get more than that in parts. You can even put some back in the pay forward thread - like Santa!
Old 05-10-11, 07:35 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black interior is your key. Plus it is good to have parts car so you can use those parts for yourself and save money!
Old 05-10-11, 11:34 AM
oldkystude
Driver

I heard black interiors were desirable but is a 93 black interior the one people want as it is apparently a lighter shade than my 95.
Old 05-10-11, 03:43 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

if you have the room to store, I say get it
Old 05-10-11, 04:49 PM
oldkystude
Driver

Space not a problem. I've got 30 Studebakers out in the woods and another 120 acres available. Keeping the snakes and hornets out is the problem.

Ok, I'm going to haul it back probably. I paid more than that for my last set of michelins. I live in hope that the nakamichi amp will fit mine at least.
Old 05-10-11, 07:46 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

750...definitely worth it! Go ahead and change your mind, then PM so I can go and get it...lol. Seriously, get it! Best deal of the day!
Old 05-11-11, 10:38 AM
oldkystude
Driver

Best deal of the day maybe got better, if you have a 300! I passed. He will take $500 but hurry. It's on Craigs list Louisville. Had a 400 emblem on the back but it was a 300. Rough black interior though. Thanks to all, hope you can save it from the crusher.
Old 05-11-11, 03:15 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldkystude
Best deal of the day maybe got better, if you have a 300! I passed. He will take $500 but hurry. It's on Craigs list Louisville. Had a 400 emblem on the back but it was a 300. Rough black interior though. Thanks to all, hope you can save it from the crusher.
Old 05-11-11, 04:59 PM
oldkystude
Driver

Re that interior: the guy said it was "dirty". The best way to get an idea of his definition of dirty would be to do this. 1. Obtain a piece of blackboard chalk. 2. Find the nastiest tt bar in the worst side of town. 3. Go around back and locate said bar's dumpster. 4. Take your chalk and draw a silouette of an SC300 on the side of the dumpster. 5. Open dumpster lid and look inside.

One more thing: Throw a 12v battery in the dumpster. That's pretty close.
Old 05-11-11, 05:28 PM
DarcNite7
Driver School Candidate

It is definitely worth it, black interior is hard to find
Old 05-11-11, 08:11 PM
boostluver
Driver School Candidate

scrap is over $200 a ton...the car weighs almost 2 tons...

its definitely worth picking up

If someone gets it...I need a black pass side power seat adjuster piece
Old 05-11-11, 10:01 PM
oldkystude
Driver

I know it is well worth the price but I am not interested in going into the scx00 business at this time. I've got a barn full of Stude parts to move first. If it had been a 400 as advertised, or even a 300 of the same year (1995) I would have it here now. I want a parts car for specific needs of my car. Inventory of salable parts is secondary.

In case someone is considering this car please let me know and I'll describe it in detail. Roughly 75% of the interior is usable with a good cleaning. The headliner is fine. Rt door panel had the classic upper crack. I could not see the rest due to the trash and the inner and outer handles were destroyed making it impossible to open. Dash good, left door panel good, console good, shifter handle, brake, and steering wheel need repair. Lower front seat cushions are destroyed and the walmart seat covers are even rough. Rear seat back good, lower ok but dirty and some seams had opened. Rear window reveals minor damage only. Carpet may clean if you can get to it. The car was literally treated as a dumpster!

Engine very oily in front from neglected leaks. Windshield cracked. All othe glass ok except left rear. Trunk lid and spoiler good. Minor scraping of rt fender. Left door good. Rt needs many hours of repair. Saw three good alloy wheels. Trunk will not open due to rear end crash. Both rear quarters and taillights destroyed. One broken headlight, good hood. Good left fender. Had not been cannibalized except for one relay. The guy said it would run and drive but I'm sure he never tried.

It's a two hour round trip for me to get there so I won't be going back. Hope this helps! He really wants it gone soon. Has lowered his price from $1500 to $500.

Quick Reply: Is this 93 SC400 "parts car" worth $750?