SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Having some 'issues'

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 12:48 PM
kdick91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some 'issues'

I used to own a Mustang and recently traded for a 2000 Trans Am with an LS1 than I have been racing for ~2 years. I love the car to death. Everything from t-tops to the black leather to, obviously, the LS1. Sadly though, when driving from Texas to Colorado (for school) in broke down and I ultimately decided to leave it at home to help preserve it immaculate condition as opposed to sitting in snow/salt. (And it would have been a big distraction) I met a girl at school who had TERRIBLE luck with cars and NO money. She had very minimal knowledge on cars. Before she met me, she got a Hyundai Accent with 145k miles for $2000 and a SLEW of issues ranging from a gutted cat to AWFUL valvetrain noise (I'm not sure how that motor was setup but sounded like a lifter was failing). I was LUCKY to sell it for her for $1200 before it had a major failure. I wasn't proud of passing this issue off to someone else, but was in a bind. She came to stay with me in TX over the summer because she had work there. Near the end of summer a 96 SC300 just popped up. I know how over-built 2JZs are and gave her the 'okay' to buy it. I was nervous though since I had NO idea how to work on a 2JZ and I know she can't afford to have any issues with the car. I changed the plugs, oil, diff and trans fluid, and any obvious gaskets and almost immediately after we got it, we set off on an 1100 mile drive to Colorado. Which, if you have ever done this drive, you will know there is NOTHING out there but a gas station every 300 miles. Roughly. So I was sweating bullets since I was only equipped with my small toolset. But, we made it here. ZERO issues still. 4 months later I changed the valve cover gasket. Almost a year from purchase, the car REFUSES to pop even a CEL. I'm floored.

Post-story actual issue (for those who don't like reading haha)
I'm really beginning to consider giving up my T/A for a 5-speed SC300... I'm partial to turbos (the noise and pull is just awesome), but I really like the low-end torque of having V8. Most of all though, the reliability and quality of everything on this car (I drive it every day) has just impressed me beyond all measures. And, a huge plus, this community is AWESOME (abiet the few kids who 'get' a Lexus and want to bring to 'rice' status)... The f-body community really made me feel good about getting a T/A (and they do have the same kids on there, unfortunately) so this is a fairly even debate in my head. Haha so anyone have any similar situations? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks in advance for any input. This helps me make sure I always have a lovable money pit.
Old 05-08-11, 01:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

5speed converted SC400 or
LSx swapped SC.
Old 05-09-11, 01:26 PM
kdick91
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I would have to do it for the 2J. I really favor that motor. I may just save a couple years and do both haha. It doesn't kill to dream at least
Old 05-09-11, 02:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Welcome, but wrong forum. . Moved.
Old 05-10-11, 11:19 AM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I own a '95 factory manual SC300 N/A with 318k (and counting) miles.

Engine runs strong, transmission runs strong. You can't go wrong with it. The turbo can come later, either in NA-T form or swapping a GTE in. There are usually some turbo SC's for sale in CL's Vehicles Classified Section and even on Craigslist for a steal of a price.