SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My Good deed for the day - not an SC but it is family

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 03:35 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Hey guys im just curious here, please dont accuse me of being negative or starting a debate ive been getting alot of that lately.

I just dont know much about these cars and if I saw this on the side of the road for 2 grand I wouldnt know if it was a deal or not, most likely i would of passed it by and never thought twice.

What is the value of this car really?

Are these mk3 supras as 'built tough' as the mk4's i see and hear so much about.

I think what the op did was very nice and helped both the buyer and seller out .

Seems like the mileage is quite high to me and the car is over 20 years old, was this actually that great of a deal?

thanks for any feedback
Basically you see a clean 97 SC with black interior for 2k. Would you pick it up? Yes because you know about the car and what is rare and what isn't

Yes and no, 7mges have their benefits and losses

For instance picking up a clean 92 with 200k miles for like 2-3g is still pretty good deal. Same exact thing with that supra.

To be honest you can find out the information by searching doing little research.
Old 05-01-11, 03:41 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

sc300 why bother to answer if your not happy to?

im asking 'YOURE' opinion not an internet search engine.

And dont compare this car to a 97 sc with black interior because they are nowhere in the same league and you know that.

This is how arguments always start, with ridiculous responses to a legitimate question.

(edit) ive heard these 7m engines are problematic, just saying

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 05-01-11 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 03:57 PM
MidloSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And dont compare this car to a 97 sc with black interior because they are nowhere in the same league and you know that.

This is how arguments always start, with ridiculous responses to a legitimate question.

I didn't see anything wrong with his response.

Around here the asking price for a MK3 is around anywhere from $1800 to $4500 depending on the condition.
Old 05-01-11, 04:07 PM
GS300CMO
Rookie

Good deed man. It will come back around to you one day!
Old 05-01-11, 04:08 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just answering your questions

Uh it is my opinion, i am not comparing a 97 SC with black interior to this car. It is just an example, say you see a 97 SC with black interior VS a 92 sc with tan interior for the same price obviously you'll pick the 97 SC

Same thing for this deal but for supras.
Old 05-01-11, 04:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

almost 'EVERYTHING' here can be googled or researched and we can pretty much do without the entire site if need be, i dont see the need to tell people constantly to google themself or research, thats what im here for to learn and ask questions.

I am not one to pretend I know more than I do so i ask questions from time to time when need be.

and come on comparing a 97 sc with a black interior to this car?

anyways thank you for explaining the value of these cars as i really dont have any experiance with them at all.

$1800 to a maximum of $4500?seems like this one was not priced that low at all considering the mileage.
Old 05-01-11, 04:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
I'm just answering your questions

Uh it is my opinion, i am not comparing a 97 SC with black interior to this car. It is just an example, say you see a 97 SC with black interior VS a 92 sc with tan interior for the same price obviously you'll pick the 97 SC

Same thing for this deal but for supras.
sc 300 I appreciate your response and i really dont want to bicker with u all the time, please try to understand where im coming from.

thanks man
Old 05-01-11, 05:15 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

I would have picked that thing up, I've always wanted one, especially targa. Props for the good deed sir!
Old 05-01-11, 05:54 PM
MidloSC
Driver

almost 'EVERYTHING' here can be googled or researched and we can pretty much do without the entire site if need be, i dont see the need to tell people constantly to google themself or research, thats what im here for to learn and ask questions.

I am not one to pretend I know more than I do so i ask questions from time to time when need be.

anyways thank you for explaining the value of these cars as i really dont have any experiance with them at all.

$1800 to a maximum of $4500?seems like this one was not priced that low at all considering the mileage.
That is low mileage considering the age of the car. Depending on the market I could have turned that car for about a $1200 profit.
Old 05-01-11, 06:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

cool^^^^ body wise it looked clean, well from the one pic we had

anyways it was a nice thing the op did thats all that matters---good on him
Old 05-01-11, 06:47 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In my area a car that nice with that mileage would go for $4000 to $5000 normally. You might luck into a cheaper one but not often.
Old 05-01-11, 07:37 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Google is a very viable tool if you are looking for basic knowledge. Its faster and more reliable than asking about MKIII's on CL. As for you not wanting to google, the replies here have been on topic and rather accurate so it might be best to read, learn, and not complain. You may have deduced that a MKIII is not exactly the same as the MKIV based on price alone (2k for a turbo MKIII and 25k for a turbo MKIV). However, you will still have enthusiasts looking for a clean shell/example (hence the blk/blk SC analogy). The problems you have heard about the 7m are related to some head gasket issues, that is something you can learn about on your own if interested.
Old 05-01-11, 10:02 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool man, good for you
Old 05-01-11, 10:04 PM
iwannadie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys im just curious here, please dont accuse me of being negative or starting a debate ive been getting alot of that lately.

I just dont know much about these cars and if I saw this on the side of the road for 2 grand I wouldnt know if it was a deal or not, most likely i would of passed it by and never thought twice.

What is the value of this car really?

Are these mk3 supras as 'built tough' as the mk4's i see and hear so much about.

I think what the op did was very nice and helped both the buyer and seller out .

Seems like the mileage is quite high to me and the car is over 20 years old, was this actually that great of a deal?

thanks for any feedback
The price wasn't anything amazing, I see plenty go for that or just not sell. I've seen more MK3s posted for sale then a month later the owner is parting it out because no one wants to buy it. Selling a 20 year old car with high mileage is just a tuff thing to do.

MK4s are very expensive and there's not that many of them out there.

I love my MK3 and I have more in brakes and suspension alone than I paid for the car originally and it's still big and slow and a work in progress ha.
Old 05-02-11, 12:21 AM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool^^^^ body wise it looked clean, well from the one pic we had

anyways it was a nice thing the op did thats all that matters---good on him
Hi 1Willy1,

The MK3 to me is a car I wanted to have when I was driving an 88 integra. Its a car that catches my attention even after 20 years has passed. The miles at 140k means that it racked up about 7k miles per year which is a good indication that the car was taken care of, or at least not driven much. Consider of course that during that time gas prices were less than $1 per gallon. Cars were driven a lot - well i know I did. Get together a few friends friends with just a few dollars and it is a road trip to Vegas or down to Mexico.

I guess the attachment is nostalgia. And that memory of wanting it is what would drive me to see this as a good deal at that price.

I sold my Integra in 1992 with 140k miles. So to see the MK3 with 140k miles, I consider it a low mileage car considering the age.

But the market for the MK3 are probably the same people who wanted it when it was brand new.

The one picture of the car that I posted was a good representation of the condition of the car. The interior was in good condition with the exception of the cracking on the vinyl center console arm rest, and a vinyl strip behind the top portion of the back seat. This is a common issue with the MK3, as common as the small crack on the air vents on the dash of the SC.

Quick Reply: My Good deed for the day - not an SC but it is family