Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket cat's for sc300 california legal

Old 06-13-14, 11:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DEREKC
KahnBB6, you passed the smog check?
I am in the same situation. My 94 SC300 with 200K has failed smog and the shop has done all the maintenance (spark plug, wires, cap, oil change, o2 sensors etc.) and it still failed. They said catalytic converter(s) will need to be changed. It is a CA car and they could not find any aftermarket. They said it has to be on https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTo...earchTool.aspx and it has to have a EO number on it to pass smog.
The database shows only walker manufacturing has them. Part# 82516 and 82535 and they are not direct fit.. I could not find anywhere who carries them and even if I eventually could, will there be any problem with the welding?

CA ARB is really a pain.

DEREKC, I'm sorry I did not get a notification for your post. I hope you found a way to pass in the end as I know by now you'd have to have taken care of it :/

To answer you, YES, I passed. Everything was clean except for the 15mph portion regarding HC's just near the limit. It was a near 100 degree day when I pre-tested and got my actual test (yes, I paid for both) and my ECU was pulling timing like crazy.

Now I do have a 229k mile original engine but I had replaced my PCV valve along with the new #2 cat prior to moving back to California. My mechanic here in CA suggested it might be my old valve train causing the high reading for that one portion of the test. I'm not sure what to think yet but I was a bit perturbed (not to him) that two very new cats produced a near-limit reading in one area.

My results with a brand new OEM Toyota/Lexus #1 cat installed in 2012 and the brand new Catco 6266 cat installed in 2014 with the #3 O2 sensor hooked up correctly:

For 15mph @ 1777 RPM:
HC's -- Max 82 ppm, Measured 81 ppm(!)
CO -- Max 0.48 %, Measured 0.06 %
NO -- Max 687 ppm, Measured 242 ppm

For 25mph @ 2010 RPM:
HC's -- Max 48 ppm, Measured 19 ppm
CO -- Max 0.45 %, Measured 0.01 %
NO -- Max 701 ppm, Measured 46 ppm

So I am clueless as to what the issue *nearly* was. The engine is 100% stock and all vacuum lines are hooked up correctly. It could also be related to the fact that these cars were designed for 92 octane premium (available in Cali when the car was brand new) and we're now limited to 91 octane in Cali. It could also very well be the design of the #2 Catco cat. It could also be related to an EGR component. I have no idea and I am not qualified to diagnose smog test numbers. All I know is that I have to figure out a solution by my next test date. Maybe I'll have my GTE swap completed by then and it won't matter.

Regardless, you can make this cat work or you can look into the Catco, Magnaflow and Random Technology catalogs for alternatives. All three companies (and some others) carry "California Pre-OBD2" catalytic convertor catalogs which list a range of "Direct Fit" and "Universal" cats per vehicle application. All of these companies list weld-in cats that meet the 2009 requirements for three-way cats per each vehicle application. The ARB website I have found doesn't do a very good job of keeping approved EO Numbers listed after so many years (convenient for them, isn't it?). You're going to have to do your own research and actually call these companies and verify by model and year that the cat you're planning to buy is actually the correct one for your car. Unless it's listed here on the forums and confirmed by members that's what you have to do. I recently went on a search for Supra TT compatible #1 and #2 aftermarket Cali legal cats and Catco even had a couple of them listed for MY1993 when they actually were designed for the 86.5-92 MKIII Supra Turbo. They were very helpful but that should give you an idea about the minefield that is aftermarket Cali-legal catalytic convertors.

It's no wonder your mechanic wasn't able to find a comprehensive listing of all Direct Fit and Universal models you're allowed to use.

Any of these having the correct bung for your factory #3 O2 sensor is the question. You will probably have to do what I did and have the bung from your factory cat cut out and welded as close as possible to the same location just in front of your new cat. It's not the end of the world if you have to do this but I do wonder how many times the bung can be re-welded into new cats every so many years...

Also, DEREKC, if you have to replace both convertors go ahead and buy the OEM #1 cat from Lexus or Toyota (pick a popular discounted dealer of your choice). It's currently only about $320 versus the Catco "Direct Fit" #1 cat which costs slightly more. The #2 OEM cat is the killer on price versus aftermarket.

Hope everything worked out :/

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-13-14 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-06-15, 05:49 PM
3p14159265
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A followup to this old post. I've just done my smog so this is fresh on my mind.

Highish HCs, but not blatant gross-polluter numbers, with normal O2 and CO are very tough to solve. A fresh cat will typically fix things for the test, but the underlying issues remain unsolved. A few things to consider:

1) Make sure the evap canister gets a good purge before the test. Drive on the freeway for 30 minutes before the test. The evap purge line often does not distribute the purge vapors equally between cylinders and you will get enough imbalance to blow the test.

2) Balance your injectors. The O2 sensor reads the average mixture of 6 cylinders. If one is rich and 5 are lean it will look balanced at the O2 sensor, but not at the combustion source. Injector pattern needs to be uniform across injectors as well.

3) Find those small vac leaks. They are not enough to make the car run bad, but they do throw the ECU fuel model off, especially at low load. Use a smoke machine.

4) Check the your EGR system. Often neglected, the vac modulator rubber diaphragm can tear and no longer provide the correct gas flow. The EGR valve can fail. The VSV can stick shut or open. A couple of simple on -car tests can be done to verify correct operation.

5) If all else fails, its sometimes HCs trapped in carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and on the valves. No simple fix for that sadly.
Old 03-06-15, 11:19 PM
KahnBB6

3p14159265,

Thank you for posting the above details! For my part I have not yet replaced any EGR components in my car's engine, nor have I (or to my knowledge the previous owner) ever pulled the injectors for a cleaning and rebalancing. I may look into both areas. Carbon deposits would be a deal breaker...

Glad to hear you passed though!
Old 05-04-16, 10:40 PM
KahnBB6

Small addition to the information in this thread:

The Catco (Airtek) #66265 front "Direct Fit"... and Catco (Airtek) #66266 rear "Direct Fit" cats are still listed as Cali-legal replacements for 1992-1995 Cali-Spec SC300's (Executive Order D-280-48 for both front and rear parts).

But there are also two other versions which are supposed to be "Direct Fit" also. I have not been able to find pictures of these online or find them for sale anywhere online so they are perhaps a direct order from Catco through an authorized muffler shop only. Maybe they're a new revision that hasn't been out there yet or maybe they're actually "universal" weld in cats that were mislabeled as "Direct Fit".

No information either way at this point. I will give Catco corporate a call soon and find out.

These are:

Catco (Airtek) #93265, front, "Direct Fit"

Catco (Airtek) #93266, rear, "Direct Fit"

Both carry the CARB E.O. number: D-280-96

These are listed as "Pre OBDII" spec for California 1992-1995 models just like the previous two. Neither the ARB website or Catco list them for 1996+ Cali-Spec SC300's.
Old 11-21-16, 04:49 PM
oscarcst
Driver School Candidate

I found both cats front n rear under $100 on ebay . I know is an old post but my cats are gone need to get them to pass.

(Link removed)

(Link removed)

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-23-16 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Sorry, outside sales links aren't allowed
Old 11-23-16, 02:46 AM
KahnBB6

oscarcst,

Had to remove those links, sorry: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...rohibited.html

However if you have been able to find and purchase the Catco 66265 and 66266 models then that's great!! They are still legal and will do the job. They are discontinued by Catco at this point but as you found there are still some available as old stock through some distributor inventories. Someone may luck out by searching for them exactly as you did.

Catco's direct fit Cali-legal replacements for the two older part numbers (now available only on a made-to-order basis) are still the 93265 and 93266 as mentioned in post #34. Same exact thing you just bought but with updated part numbers. Catco/Airtek has just scaled back on producing them unless someone calls in an order for them.

Now here are some important notes regarding what you are about to have installed:

When you take delivery of your 66265 and 66266 you may find that the first cat fits just fine but the second cat will require some modification to the piping to actually bolt up at the right angles and lengths. They are meant to be "direct fit" parts like the factory cats but they didn't get all of their angle measurements right where the #1 cat bolts to the #2 cat.

They rear cat assembly is very close but not quite a direct fit that just bolts in perfectly. I haven't tried the Catco front direct fit myself so maybe it's a better bolt in fit.

Also you will find they forgot to include a #3 O2 sensor mounting location on the secondary cat which is needed for California-Spec 1992-1995 SC300's. You will see that on your *factory* secondary Cali-spec catalytic convertor there is an O2 sensor location with two hex screws (NOT a round bung) right on the cat itself. Catco's 66266 has an O2 sensor round bug WAY up high in the pipe where it doesn't belong.

You will need to take your new cats to an exhaust shop in order to have a little work done to get everything to fit correctly:

My solution for this was to have the O2 sensor mount cut out of my SC300's worn out secondary factory original catalytic convertor and welded onto the Catco 66266's pipe as close to their replacement cat unit as possible. You CANNOT cut or weld into the new Catco catalytic convertor because this would compromise it however getting the #3 O2 sensor bung as close as possible on the pipe the cat is welded to will get things close enough to give the ECU the reading it wants to see.

I had success with this. Once the shop took care of re-angling the pipe bend a bit (it's really just one angle they got wrong) and re-purposing my O2 sensor mount it was drive and forget.

As an added perk, in two years when that replacement cat starts to go out on you it can be replaced with another Catco Cali legal unit for 1992-1995 applications (universal style but only a specific Cali legal rear cat for 92-95 Cali-spec SC300's) without needing to mess with piping fitment again or re-welding that O2 sensor mount location again-- just have the 66266 universal style secondary catalytic convertor cut out and replaced with another Cali-legal Catco unit!

I actually do not know offhand which part number that should be (sorry!) but the point is that you can, as an option, just do that after you've done the initial fitment of the 66265 and 66266. The Catco/Airtek OBD1 Cali-Legal catalog (or Magnaflow if you wish) will list what universal cats are available for your car and the ARB database also lists the all the units with E.O. numbers they approve of.

Also, it is really the same procedure with your original exhaust piping if you want to have your worn out OEM secondary cat cut out and have that replaced with a universal Cali-Legal OBD1 92-95 approved cat. The #3 O2 sensor mount would have to be cut out of the dead factory cat and re-welded onto the pipe just before the new replacement cat as described but then that sensor mount never has to be moved again. The key is that is has to be as close as possible while still allowing for future cutting out and replacing of the secondary catalytic convertor.

Due to the double pipe exits from the first catalytic convertor upstream in the exhaust system I'd be less inclined to weld in a universal legal replacement cat there. I am sure it can be done but it looks like more work. For the #1 catalytic convertor I'd easily go with a new OEM or try my luck with the Catco 66265 or 93265 first.

Regarding Catco's newer 93266 (rear/secondary cat) updates to the older part numbers, they may or may not have revised their measurements but I would still assume the need to have an exhaust shop correct their "direct fit" piping a bit. I called their prototyping department a while back and pointed out these fitment issues and the glaring lack of a proper #3 O2 sensor mounting location and explained what I did to correct the issue. They may have at least corrected the O2 sensor mount issue in their revised build notes for Cali-Spec 92-95 applications but it is still worth double checking if anyone is planning to order the 93266 directly from Airtek (Catco's parent company).

Yes it's an old thread but still a very relevant one for folks who need to pass Cali smog with a Cali-Spec SC300!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-23-16 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-23-16, 09:28 AM
oscarcst
Driver School Candidate

Kahn thank you for all that information . I'm still debating what to do because I have until next year to do the check smog my car is still in the process of the new engine install so I have plenty of time. again thank you for the detail response it greatly appreciated . I have a 94 sc400 when I checked the California cat database I get over 20 different cats I could use on my car . I guess that's a big difference between the sc300 that only has 2 options .
Old 05-10-18, 11:06 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I found this thread using the search function and it is very educational. I barely passed Cali smog in 2016 with all of the readings in good shape except for O2 (max was 75 and it measured 75). The original cats are in place so if this fails (as projected) then have to go through the process documented here.... (or, sell the car to my friend in NV).