SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Questions I hope can get answered

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 03:27 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions I hope can get answered

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, in still new to the forum and not entirely sure since this has elements of alot of the threads here, but here are my questions:

First, the car is a 1993 SC300. It has 200,000 miles but I dont have to spend I dime to get it, its free since my sis needs a bigger car and it has a bogus salvage title on it so my parents said I could have to turn into a project car if I really wanted to, the still runs and drives well.

I have a couple questions. Im gonna go NA-T but I have some bugs to work out of the car (it has 200K what do you expect) The ECU is getting fritzy and needs to be dealt with and have a couple questions about how to go about it. Can I get the ecu refurbished? and if I can, would it cost more than just buying one from the junkyard? and if I got a sc ecu from the junkyard, would I need to have it reprogrammed before it goes into the car? and should I stray away from getting a supra ecu? I would imagine I should but I thought I would get your input and ive heard people have done it with their SC's.

And since you can interchange parts from the supra and the sc, I would like to upgrade the suspension and lower it about an inch or so (not slammed or anything, just enough to be flush with the wheels and still have a good stance and not sit so high) and just make it handle better. Would I want to go with aftermarket SC coilovers(BC, Yellow, etc.) or should I try to find supra coils?

Also the AC is dead and ill need to replace it. This will be my daily of course but can I get an AC unit that is more efficent then factory and wont rob as much power? or what would you guys say to remedy this problem?

And one more thing. This car needs a good amount of body work, along with interior refresh, done to it. it needs a new door and maybe a rear quarter panel and needs a repaint. I really want to make this my project I know it would be a VERY pretty penny to get this just running like new if not a bit better before the turbo, but if you guys have seen my story I posted up of it, its pretty tied into our family and ive loved this car since I was 12 or 13. with this in mind would you countinue with this car as a platform?
Old 11-27-11, 03:44 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

200k you might need to do a rebuild get a compression test
ECU getting frizy? Explain, if you grab another ecu it should work fine

If you dont want to go and want a little stiffer ride/ little bit lower get TT suspension can be had for $130ish

Dont know about the ecu

Lastly, get a different car it has a salvage title.
Old 11-27-11, 04:41 PM
lmfod
Driver

I wouldn't let a salvage title stop u if u plan on making it a project car. A free one at that. With that many miles tho I would just pick up an aristo gte and call it a day
Old 11-27-11, 05:38 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

The answer to what I'm thinking your asking is yes...the car will be a project and you will have to pay to play. get a junkyard ecu and send it off to be rebuilt while you have the fritzy one powering the car.

For the motor, a leakdown /compression test is a must. if it looks good go for the boost. if not rebuild, or a newer lower mileage motor. good luck with the build
Old 11-27-11, 10:01 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

u dont need to reprogram the ecu's for the obd1's which is what your car is.

Sounds like this car is more trouble then its worth it has really nothing in its favour.

High mileage, bad body, bad interior, salvage title, bad ecu or worse, bad ac and im sure theres more.

Maybe take this car as a parts car but to fix it up might not be worth it.
Old 11-27-11, 11:09 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the body parts cheap at a junkyard

with 200k miles a jdm gte engine is a much better idea
Old 11-28-11, 01:16 AM
Vortes
Lead Lap

You should post pics of the car. The things you are listing off are going to cost ALOT of money. AC isn't a cheap fix, neither are rear quarter dents. Dunno about the ecu,but i don't think I've heard about anyone using a supra ecu in an sc. Also, like it was said before, compression test before you think about ANYTHING involving NA-T. No way of reducing AC power drain... just turn it off if you wanna go WOT.

You should tally up what it will cost to get it into good running and looking condition, and compare that to buying another sc, chances are this will cost more to clean up than just buying another one.
Old 11-28-11, 02:21 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post pics.

Where in minnesota you located?
Old 12-05-11, 03:33 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
200k you might need to do a rebuild get a compression test
ECU getting frizy? Explain, if you grab another ecu it should work fine

If you dont want to go and want a little stiffer ride/ little bit lower get TT suspension can be had for $130ish

Dont know about the ecu

Lastly, get a different car it has a salvage title.
I can explain that title: it was a guy who bought this car brand new and got it into a fender bender and didnt want the accident on his record or something like that and was friends with the guy who owned the insurance comapny he was with and asked them to put a salvage title on it and get big bucks for a brand new one (true story, they showed us the history of the car, everything was reported)

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
The answer to what I'm thinking your asking is yes...the car will be a project and you will have to pay to play. get a junkyard ecu and send it off to be rebuilt while you have the fritzy one powering the car.

For the motor, a leakdown /compression test is a must. if it looks good go for the boost. if not rebuild, or a newer lower mileage motor. good luck with the build
So I cant send the one I have off to get rebuilt? and thank you! I hope everything checks out when I get it on a lift

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
u dont need to reprogram the ecu's for the obd1's which is what your car is.

Sounds like this car is more trouble then its worth it has really nothing in its favour.

High mileage, bad body, bad interior, salvage title, bad ecu or worse, bad ac and im sure theres more.

Maybe take this car as a parts car but to fix it up might not be worth it.
I know it does but were more familiar with this one and theres not many on sale at all

Originally Posted by Vortes
You should post pics of the car. The things you are listing off are going to cost ALOT of money. AC isn't a cheap fix, neither are rear quarter dents. Dunno about the ecu,but i don't think I've heard about anyone using a supra ecu in an sc. Also, like it was said before, compression test before you think about ANYTHING involving NA-T. No way of reducing AC power drain... just turn it off if you wanna go WOT.

You should tally up what it will cost to get it into good running and looking condition, and compare that to buying another sc, chances are this will cost more to clean up than just buying another one.
That is what im doing, and I have posted up pics, they are on the forum but its probably buried in the forum but ill try to post a link to the pics

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
post pics.

Where in minnesota you located?
Like I said, ill try to find the thread I posted them in. And im in the twin cities area

And I would do a aristo 2J but I have no way of swapping an engine and have no where near enough to fund an aristo swap. And thank you all for the advice, it helps alot, I really appreciate it!
Old 12-06-11, 10:20 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man i say go for it! You could get a whole new a/c system (used) from aliga, get creative and start customizing the interior. Hit up your local fabric shop, i just picked up grey suede on sale for 5$ a yard.

I also believe there is an ecu rebuilding service on ebay, not sure how reputable they are but do some reasearch im sure you could get everything handled on a reasonable budget

The body work is gonna be the biggest hit to your pockets. If you wanna be cheap find a low mileage n/a 2jz drop it in with a cheapy turbo kit and have fun with it!

dont go dropping 20k into a salvage title 200k sc but definetly have some fun with it,