SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SEM painted interior from grey to black

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 08:54 AM
BigGreen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good kid, i love black interiors on SC's ....maybe one day when i stop being lazy i will put mine in since its just sitting in my basement for the past 2 yrs ( thanks to gazi)!
Old 07-22-11, 09:12 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gunyvw
yea i started doing mine 2 weeks ago even though i have had the stuff for over a year...lol
everybody that sees it luvs it... i had a big 20in chrome rim sitting on it in 80/90 degree heat for 3 days didnt have a problem.
it looks and feels VERY oem i have a friend with a GS 300 with oem black interior and put the panel up next to his we both went wow.

you can tell its SEM not OEM only because of the over spray where i touched up a piece after i re installed the seats on the pillar.it even smells kinda nice/new.
damn that looks really good... is that spray behind ur passenger seat wax. its supposed to be like a waterless car wash or something right???
Old 07-22-11, 09:55 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe its a diet soft drink a 20oz. I have used meguiers spray wax, eagle one, and turtle wax.
Old 07-22-11, 12:26 PM
skirts
Lead Lap

I've seen this interior a couple times in person. And wow is it nice! But the woodgrain is the most amazing part of it. I have not seen one pic that does it justice. A chick could use it do do her make up. That's how shiny it is.
Old 07-22-11, 12:27 PM
gunyvw
Driver

Originally Posted by cmh
damn that looks really good... is that spray behind ur passenger seat wax. its supposed to be like a waterless car wash or something right???
yea that's some stuff they hustled on me at the gas station. i need to get the junk out of the car so i can finish it will dye the carpet and move forward on the front items this weekend i hope.
Old 07-22-11, 12:45 PM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

you guys are starting to influence me to use this stuff on my dash. considering the work and cost of replacing the dash with a black one this is starting to look better and better. has anyone had bad experience with sem? how does it withstand intense heat and sun? i live in texas. i have already bought vinyl for all the trim and door panels but was dreading replacing the dash. the seats i think i would opt for the leather seats.com option before spraying if i decided to go black on them considering they have new beige vinyl less then a year old. but this seems a good option vs the cost of replacing the dash and various plastic pieces. as long as it stands up to the test of time.
Old 07-22-11, 12:49 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

If i could do it over again i would. It has really held up over time. The only real problem and not really a problem is the trim pieces along the carpet when you get in. Sometimes people feet knock the paint off but i just use a sharpie or respray it black again. No biggie. Thanks for the compliment skirts. See you on sunday bro. If you have the time and patience to remove the pieces then you shoukd make time to prep everything right and spray light even coats. Not heavy thick coats. Jmo. Oreilys now carries sem paint as stated earlier in my thread.
Old 07-22-11, 12:59 PM
gunyvw
Driver

yep 1992lexus is right those lower trim pieces seem to be an issue maybe some clear tapeover type covering for protection or black oem ones.
my thing is the age of the car is allowing me to experiment. everything inside of it has combo yellowish, tanish, browntanish mixture...lol so i just want cohesion.
(and thou i wont be doing my dash) the items that wont be touched much like the dash are most likely a sure GO.
and for the other items i will have an extra can at the ready.

also, i had the cans of sem in the car for a year in heat, winter cold and still smooth as silk. respray and seam checking no overlay lines at all.
Old 07-22-11, 03:19 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Just scuff up or sand down the area, and get it ready for prep. Then spray the adhesive promoter by SEM for ALL pieces. Then spray evenly light coats. You should be fine. Post pictures along the way. Everyone good luck
Old 08-05-11, 07:20 AM
gekslex99
Driver School Candidate

I had been searching around looking for ways to get around spending a ton of money to convert my interior to black and I ran across this thread and was super inspired to get started replicating what you've done. I'm already in the process of ordering my SEM and other materials, but I had a question about how you did the wood trim. I was wondering what process and materials were used, as you said you didn't achieve the results you wanted initially. The thought of having the super glossy black sounded pretty sweet. Thanks, and awesome job on yours. I hope mine comes out as well!
Old 08-05-11, 07:33 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks for the compliments. I removed them from the door panel and let my buddy spray them with black from ppg paint. We handed them down with 2000 grit sandpaper. Then he sprayed five or six coats of clear. He did this in his garage. It did have some trash in it but i wetsanded it again with 2000 grit. Then buffed with a wool pad and some gritty compound. Then used a foam or cotton pad with some polish and swirl remover. Then waxed it. Installed it then took some pictures.

Then let everyone compliment it! :-)

If you need some help just post or PM me. Be glad to help.
Old 08-07-11, 04:05 PM
gunyvw
Driver

Default i was re reading this... so let me clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiochiu
damn, could you share with us what made you decide on sem vs competition?
if you mean me kiochiu it was this forum i've never heard of competition until now or i would have checked it out too.

Originally Posted by gunyvw
if you mean me kiochiu it was this forum i've never heard of competition until now or i would have checked it out too.
as i misunderstood i saw an add for COLORBOND and decided to do this...
i ordered the COLORBOND in black and when it came it was greyish.
i found out about SEM on this site and that it had a toyota color
i decided to go with it along with the fact that i did not have to order it and wait.
Old 08-13-11, 03:55 PM
SC300P
Driver School Candidate

Wow. looks really clean. nice job. I think it would good with titanium trims.
Old 08-13-11, 04:47 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Thanks man. It is still holding up. Even the sprayed seats.
Old 08-18-11, 12:46 AM
aynaku90
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
Thanks man. It is still holding up. Even the sprayed seats.
About how much did you spend in total for all the paint?

Quick Reply: SEM painted interior from grey to black