SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

TWIN turbo for SC 300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 08:35 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWIN turbo for SC 300?

My tuner wants to make me a TWIN turbo set up at about 550max RWHP. But FAST spool up!
...instead of a 700 to 800 HP large single turbo.
I am liking the idea. Make any sense? I think so. But I dont know so much about these things. So?

Might as well comment on my build plans too.
Donor car: 1998 SC300 Red over Ivory. Repsrayed but never wet blocked properly. Front and back bumpers need a third re spray.
door hanging issues,,wind noise, not shutting well. Key only works on ignition. Dealer cant solve problem even though it was determnined that the ign, lock is OEM. Bad weather stripping under hood near wind shield. Cracked leather on drivers side. 187K miles. LED strip on wing not working. ivory mats worn and the color has been discontinued. Everything else works.

The PLAN:
1) Lock Smith to solve key problem. Got a guy.
2) rEPLACE hood strip. Done
3) 12 inch Fosgagte sub added with 600watt amp. Gain control. Awesome. TIGHT, not muddy bass now! Rest is stockl Nakamichi.
4) BC Racing coil overs with rear extentions for adjsutment.
5) All new poly front bushings
6) All new steering rack bushings
7)BIGGER ANTI SWAY FRONT AND BACK\
8) Megan racing rear torque arms
9) Vertex FRONT BUMPER with special Custom made Canards
10) Vertex REAR Bumper
11) 24K gold OEM Logo/Badges including the antenna bezel!!!
13) Enkei 18 inch wheels 10 or 9.5 rears. and 8,5 fronts.......275/245 Dunlop Star specs
14) CORVETTE CALIPERS...RED...rotors???? Slotted. What ever is cost effective and WORKS!
15)RECOVER DRIVER and PASSANGER seats with ivory tanned leather bolsters with large red suede perforated inserts.
16) recover with Ivory suede arm rest center console.
17) Wet block and compound ALL of paint. Add Wolfgang Polymer...no wax!
18)add 3M faux carbon on A pillar exterior.
19) all new drive train to achieve 550 RWHP twin turbo. Auto tranny only. can't drive a clutch pedal due to disability.
20) Re hang both doors
21) 3M cleaR BRA IN FRONT AND key areas on paint. That stuff works great!!!
what else???

Last edited by BigDave121; 04-17-11 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 08:51 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TT stock twins have been pushed to that territory.

All in all, a sequential twin set-up, such as factory is very complicated to work properly; hence the switch over to a single.
Old 04-17-11, 08:54 PM
soarer93
Pole Position

Did you get a quote on price difference? Single is likely cheaper.
And you can always go for a smaller single to spool up faster than a big one.
Your tuner is likely talking twin parallel (bi-turbo) setup and not a sequential. But you may want to find out to be sure..
Old 04-17-11, 08:59 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah that complicated piping on the stock twins is already weird.
Old 04-17-11, 09:05 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by soarer93
Did you get a quote on price difference? Single is likely cheaper.
And you can always go for a smaller single to spool up faster than a big one.
Your tuner is likely talking twin parallel (bi-turbo) setup and not a sequential. But you may want to find out to be sure..
I texted him today on that matter. "we'll talk" sounded expensive....MAYBE.... I may end up going with just a smaller single turbo. Complicated i DONT want.

HE wants to do it and may cut me a deal to be a show case car for his business in which case i will probably give it a try. He's pretty good....
We was even talking about traction control!
Old 04-17-11, 09:15 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save yourself the headache unless its free. Do a smaller single.
Old 04-17-11, 09:24 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Save yourself the headache unless its free. Do a smaller single.
Thats my plan.

What ever happened to variable vane technology? That was a flash in the pan!
whood a callit? Aero Charger?

It actually WORKED as I recall...

Last edited by BigDave121; 04-17-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 09:58 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You should look in to a quick spool valve. It will allow you to run a decent size (not tiny) turbo but spool it very quickly. If he is going to give you some super deal on a non stock twin setup it might be worth looking into but if you are paying full or close to full price for everything you should really do some more research.
Old 04-18-11, 02:37 AM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
You should look in to a quick spool valve. It will allow you to run a decent size (not tiny) turbo but spool it very quickly. If he is going to give you some super deal on a non stock twin setup it might be worth looking into but if you are paying full or close to full price for everything you should really do some more research.
That's exactly what I am doing here. I had trepidations. Seems they were well founded.
Old 04-18-11, 04:06 AM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

"how much money do you have to spend" should be the question to reach 550hp atw

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/zoom76a.htm

twin gt3540 1.5bar boost 374kw atw
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/zoom62.htm
Old 04-18-11, 12:16 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by v8soarer91
"how much money do you have to spend" should be the question to reach 550hp atw

http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/zoom76a.htm

twin gt3540 1.5bar boost 374kw atw
http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/zoom62.htm
as little as possible. I put out the idea of intermediate size turbo and a quick spool valve. I am glad I asked about this. Great advice from everyone. Thank you.
Old 04-18-11, 12:24 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://boostlogic.com/xcart/product.php?productid=160
Old 04-18-11, 01:27 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

i know i will be flamed for this BUT. i would honestly look into the twin turbo setup. If he is giving you a good price look into it. Potential sponsorship???yes single turbo applications are cheaper in some cases, but if you are getting a good deal and he is saying you will have better response then why spend less? everyone keeps saying go single, but honestly the fun factor changes. you get lag. driving style changes. Quick spool valve on decent size turbo is not going to give you stock spool characteristics with more power, but will give you close to stock spool on a small turbo. If this is representing his shop im sure he will not do just a BPU on an aristo even though 550 has been proven time and time again.

Now according to what i have been "TOLD" is that twin setups on any JZ motor does not give you better response. May want to ask him for a parts list before making up your mind. Yes twins is more work, but if this is a dedicated shop then you have no worries. A cheap single can cause you the same if not more problems.
Old 04-18-11, 01:40 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Real men twin charge. Supercharger and a large turbine. Super charger is for low end power and torque. Large turbo for higher rpm power out put. Grow a pair and do it up!
Old 04-19-11, 01:25 AM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by soardrft
i know i will be flamed for this BUT. i would honestly look into the twin turbo setup. If he is giving you a good price look into it. Potential sponsorship???yes single turbo applications are cheaper in some cases, but if you are getting a good deal and he is saying you will have better response then why spend less? everyone keeps saying go single, but honestly the fun factor changes. you get lag. driving style changes. Quick spool valve on decent size turbo is not going to give you stock spool characteristics with more power, but will give you close to stock spool on a small turbo. If this is representing his shop im sure he will not do just a BPU on an aristo even though 550 has been proven time and time again.

Now according to what i have been "TOLD" is that twin setups on any JZ motor does not give you better response. May want to ask him for a parts list before making up your mind. Yes twins is more work, but if this is a dedicated shop then you have no worries. A cheap single can cause you the same if not more problems.
I went over the spool up valve with him. He is looking in to it. Basically he doesnt want me to be dissapointed. He knows I track all my cars and he wants me to have instantaneous power...always be in boost as much as possible. He doesnt want to see me spool up in the MIDDLE of a tight turn. Normally his shop puts out big HP SC300/400 in the 650 to 800HP range. I told him I wanted to sacrifice raw power for drivability on the track. He is really trying to meet that need.
He did say that if we went twin turbo they would be NON sequential. Is that right? This is all Greek to me really.

I understand SOME of whats going on. I am more a driver than a tech guy. We have a REALLY nice track down here called SEBRING that is wonderful to drive. Its almost 4 miles around! Some pretty nice straights. then we have Homestead/Miami too.

I am getting set up with 275/245 Dunlop Starspecs with coil overs etc. My coil overs are kind of fluffy (BC racing) but i have extended rear adjusters to tighten things up for track days. All other handling goodies being installed too. Even STOCK these cars handle well. Braking is the weakest link. Fixing that too. I can always do a square 265mm set up later with BFG's R-1 track tires if I get more serious.

I digress from the main topic...but you get the idea of the sort of power delivery i am looking for. I have a feeling I will love it in the street too!

Last edited by BigDave121; 04-19-11 at 01:29 AM.

Quick Reply: TWIN turbo for SC 300?