SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

TWIN turbo for SC 300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 01:46 AM
nitroboss
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're after a better drive on track, have you looked at a 1.5jz conversion that would give you more torque?
Old 04-19-11, 03:43 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a great setup for a track vehicle would be a 1jz-gte (vvti if possible and an easier swap since you have a 98) with the r154 and small single (maybe a 6262?). It should be around 400hp on pump gas with over 500 on a race gas. Perfect for a track car IMO.

The high revving nature of the 1jz over the 2jz makes it a better choice for a track or even drift vehicle.
Old 04-19-11, 08:22 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BigDave121
I went over the spool up valve with him. He is looking in to it. Basically he doesnt want me to be dissapointed. He knows I track all my cars and he wants me to have instantaneous power...always be in boost as much as possible. He doesnt want to see me spool up in the MIDDLE of a tight turn. Normally his shop puts out big HP SC300/400 in the 650 to 800HP range. I told him I wanted to sacrifice raw power for drivability on the track. He is really trying to meet that need.
He did say that if we went twin turbo they would be NON sequential. Is that right? This is all Greek to me really.

I understand SOME of whats going on. I am more a driver than a tech guy. We have a REALLY nice track down here called SEBRING that is wonderful to drive. Its almost 4 miles around! Some pretty nice straights. then we have Homestead/Miami too.

I am getting set up with 275/245 Dunlop Starspecs with coil overs etc. My coil overs are kind of fluffy (BC racing) but i have extended rear adjusters to tighten things up for track days. All other handling goodies being installed too. Even STOCK these cars handle well. Braking is the weakest link. Fixing that too. I can always do a square 265mm set up later with BFG's R-1 track tires if I get more serious.

I digress from the main topic...but you get the idea of the sort of power delivery i am looking for. I have a feeling I will love it in the street too!
If its not sequential then you may have quite a bit of lag. 2jz's have a few options on twin upgrades, but i have no clue of results. The few gt28 twin setups on 1jz that i have seen proven are really laggy, but look sweet.

Start here with your shop if they bring up going single: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...otting-success

lots of good information. Good luck on your build.
Old 04-19-11, 09:30 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If I wanted very fast spool and early torque, I'd use a cast T3 flanged manifold with a GT35R.
Old 04-19-11, 04:09 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

sounds good man! any pics or vids
Old 04-19-11, 08:01 PM
S14eva1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have looked into the presicion 57mm billet turbo?
Old 04-27-11, 10:28 AM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the help so far. Still undecided. My tuner says he doesnt do forums. I told him its about time he did. I did my whole BMW M3 build off the forums..well about 70% of it...and it turned out just incredible! Forums are a TOOL. Its up to the user how its operated.
So, he said he would look at this thread and all the links. I think he SHOULD!

As far as pics. Not much to show yet...but soon! I will be able to show my newly recovered front seats with the ultra suede inserts, the memory foam and gel built in cushions, the built up center console arm rest too.

My paint and body guys will be test fitting my new Vertex front bumper tomorrow!
I can shoot some pics of my new but unpainted wheels too.
We decided to use Dupont paint and Dupont IMRON CLEAR for the wheels and bumper.
pricey stuff, but the Imron CLEAR COAT will be tough as nails.
Its good for Mach 2 jets, its good for my wheels and bumper!

The wheels are BLACK Enkie 5 pointy star with the lips painted in body color. I could have gone SAFE with gold or all polished or chrome, but I have done all that before.
This will be quite different. We taped up one wheel in red vinyl tape for looks and decided to try it in paint.
It will be different from the pack, for sure. We'll see....how NICE it comes out! I hope.

Anyways, thanks for some really great advice, leads and links, guys! In the end we will GET R DUNNNN!
Old 04-27-11, 12:04 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you track it then why not a high boost big single with an aggressive anti-lag which will be as instant as it gets.

The key is the tune and the ems such as vi-pec v88
Old 04-27-11, 01:33 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
If you track it then why not a high boost big single with an aggressive anti-lag which will be as instant as it gets.

He wants to road race so big Turbo is 6262 or 6265 will be perfect no matter what engine you go with 1jz ,2jz,1.5jz, 1.6jz whatever engine you go with.
Save yourself the hassle, time and the frustration, with the new technology you don't need a twins setup to have fun SC.

The boostlogic compound is in house install and tuning only and even if it's not i wouldn't let anyone just tune it for me.

6265 .70 or .68 ar with some hks 264, 1000cc injectors, full EMS, good tranny will be more than what you are looking for.you don't need twins to make that kind of powerband you do that with a nice single setup.
Turbo these days doesn't have to be big to make alot of power the new 67mm turbo will spool like 62mm and will still make the 900-1000hp so you think about

62 spool like 60 and make the power of the old 67mm 700rwhp

Hope you make the right decision
Old 04-27-11, 03:06 PM
vipsoarer2
Pole Position

ii have a smaller borgwarner turbo to get ya a fast spool and about 5-600 hp if u wanna buy. Just pm me about it. Bud
Old 04-27-11, 03:10 PM
vipsoarer2
Pole Position

No offense to ur comment but abti lag sounds cool and all but is sooooo hard on ur turbo and motor. Makes me cringe.

Old 04-27-11, 08:52 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vipsoarer2
No offense to ur comment but abti lag sounds cool and all but is sooooo hard on ur turbo and motor. Makes me cringe.
Not really that hard if tuned right, I daily drive a car with antilag on a stock 100k mile turbo and no issues so far and thats 30 psi on a tiny peashooter turbo.

A real good tune is a night and day difference in how a car spools etc and it has taken me many many years to find a real good tuner of sems and with that being said I had a 6262 on my mkiv and it spooled real quick so fast that I was looking for a bigger set up with more lag...
Old 04-28-11, 06:23 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really that hard if tuned right, I daily drive a car with antilag on a stock 100k mile turbo and no issues so far and thats 30 psi on a tiny peashooter turbo.

A real good tune is a night and day difference in how a car spools etc and it has taken me many many years to find a real good tuner of sems and with that being said I had a 6262 on my mkiv and it spooled real quick so fast that I was looking for a bigger set up with more lag...
I understand where you are coming from but for his application he needs a smaller turbo , road racing something that will stay in boost at all time not a HWY monster that spool at 5000 rpm .

I helped my friend build his mK4 3.1L, the car was built for race racing but it has the wrong Turbo on it gt4294 with 1.10AR with some highlift 272 cams, if you ask me this is a highway monster, but that's what he wanted but he will soon find out that he has the wrong combo.

i had a 6765 billet turbo on my SC and that thing spooled so fast for me i had to drop the CR , it spooled like the stock twins full boost (20 psi) at 3700 -3900 rpm i can barely keep the car on the ground that was the best setup for the road course not HWY but i wanted a hWY car so i am changing my setup.
Old 04-28-11, 01:53 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Maybe some of you don't have any exp with al but you will have power whenever you need it even off high idle and it can be wired to a switch or other options to activate it.

I have a friend who road races an evo 8 with a large frame turbo and it will make 38 psi instantly when al is on however when it's off it gets 30 mpg and will cruise very nicely so it is there when he needs it and of course not when you don't.
Old 05-02-11, 06:31 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
He wants to road race so big Turbo is 6262 or 6265 will be perfect no matter what engine you go with 1jz ,2jz,1.5jz, 1.6jz whatever engine you go with.
Save yourself the hassle, time and the frustration, with the new technology you don't need a twins setup to have fun SC.

The boostlogic compound is in house install and tuning only and even if it's not i wouldn't let anyone just tune it for me.

6265 .70 or .68 ar with some hks 264, 1000cc injectors, full EMS, good tranny will be more than what you are looking for.you don't need twins to make that kind of powerband you do that with a nice single setup.
Turbo these days doesn't have to be big to make alot of power the new 67mm turbo will spool like 62mm and will still make the 900-1000hp so you think about

62 spool like 60 and make the power of the old 67mm 700rwhp

Hope you make the right decision
I dont doubt my tuner is very talented but I asked him to read all of this thread and then remind him of new posts...until we/he decides what we are going to do. Guys! Please keep writing. Thank you!

Quick Reply: TWIN turbo for SC 300?