SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

It was a great day....until my seat broke...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 08:02 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry It was a great day....until my seat broke...

Damn it my drivers seat broke an hour ago. One side is moving...the other is not. Im not sure what I did....I wasnt fooling with it or anything. I just moved the seat back...I wasnt even sitting in it.
So like I said...the drivers side of the seat is moving...but only like 3 inches and it is twisting too....because the pass. side of that seat isnt moving. Did a cable break maybe or did it just come off track? Hopefully an easy fix.........?
Old 08-30-02, 08:17 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

maybe sumthing caught in the track or it may have skipped a tooth on the track
Old 08-30-02, 09:13 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Many times your Spare change or a something out of your pocket jammed the track.

Pull out the 5 bolts and flip it over
Old 08-31-02, 03:18 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I hope so. Archives didnt have much on it....3 things...and 2 of them were due to a screw falling out of a rod or something. Good thing about seats is that its pretty much impossible to completely break them....its always either the motor...or a tracking issue of some sort.
Anyways, pc....you mentioned 5 bolts. Where are these bolts located? Gives me a good excuse to prob. take both seats out, grease the tracks, and wash the carpeting real good.
Old 08-31-02, 03:34 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

to pull the seat out... two mount bolts in the front... three in the back.

You need to snap off the plastic covers.
Old 08-31-02, 03:47 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Will do PC, thanks. Anything else to watch out for when taking the seat out? Or is it pretty easy?
Old 08-31-02, 03:51 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Welp....now that you ask...

If you need to take the seat cushion off to remove or regrease the track then you need to use the seat bottom height adjustment lever to raise the 4 seat bottom bolts (where the seat bottom attaches to the tracks) so that you can get a socket thru the rail to the bolt. The design leaves a round hole that has to line up with the bolt. It is obvious once you try it....

To see the bolt hole...you may need to look on the center console side of the seat because the plastic shroud may cover the door side.

MW
Old 08-31-02, 05:52 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

the driver's side of my car doesn't pull forward when I flip the seat

did this happen to anyone else?

is there a quick way of fixing this problem?
Old 08-31-02, 10:07 AM
Richard Clark
Driver School Candidate

Drivers seat never moves forward like the Pass. side. that's the way they are built.
Old 08-31-02, 09:42 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

I had the exact same problem w/ my SC, passanger track stopped working!! The shop I serviced my car at wanted me to buy a $900 part!! The whole bottom assembly, not including the motor. I eventually took the seat home in complete fustration and my dad looked at it... he's very good at mechanics somehow. Well anyways, after a while we found out it was missing a small plastic cover (screw) which I had found in my car, taken out, put somewhere in my house. I looked for the plastic screw, put it back, and it worked again! Thank god... I have pics actually, I will post them when I get home from work. For now take your seat out of the car, see if there is a plug somewhere, small white one.
Old 08-31-02, 10:34 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah Phoenix, I saw your post and that scared the **** out of me. I had noticed there were like 3 posts on this, and 2 of them dealt with this screw, and then you said you might need a new chair. Glad to find out you had the screw problem too.
PC....I am having some problems finding the 3 rear bolts and removing the cover.
I took the seat control buttons off and unscrewed the screws there, but Im having a hard time getting off one of the screws in the front to remove the plastic cover (there are 3 screws but 2 of them broke off. Now my only other problem is where the handle is to put the seat back so passengers can get in...I dont see where it removes there.
So Im having that problem with the side handle, and I cant see the rear bolts. I see the 2 front bolts behind the cover. It probably doesnt help that my seat is almost all the way back and I cant see anything because theres no room to get in there.
Old 08-31-02, 10:40 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Phoenix,just reread your post and noticed you said you had pics, that would be great! This must be somewhat of a common problem in terms of when the SC seats come off, so pics would be great for everyone.
Old 09-01-02, 02:54 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Richard Clark
Drivers seat never moves forward like the Pass. side. that's the way they are built.
And this whole time I thot my chair was broken
Old 09-01-02, 03:12 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

If you look at this picture there is a plastic plug missing! So when the motor engages to turn a the gear (pic #3) it just pops out and doesn't gurn the gear on the track.
Attached Thumbnails It was a great day....until my seat broke...-a.jpg  
Old 09-01-02, 03:12 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Pic w/ the gear out
Attached Thumbnails It was a great day....until my seat broke...-b.jpg  

Quick Reply: It was a great day....until my seat broke...