SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DDMtuning 5k 55watt HID Install - Easiest mod done to date

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 10:05 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking DDMtuning 5k 55watt HID Install - Easiest mod done to date

So this is the 3rd DDMtuning HID kit install that I've done. I ordered a set online for about 62 bucks shipped and went with the 55watt 5k bulb slim ballast kit.

Normally an HID install requires some cut and wiring and soldering but this time I took a different approach. Back when I installed HID's in my 2008 R1, I used the same slim ballast kit only I went with 6k bulbs. I purchased a relay harness kit for the bike because I didn't want to strain the stock wiring but I ended up not using it. The bikes HID's have worked flawlessly from day one and it's going on a year and a half.

For my sc300 I wanted the same slim design but slightly less blue hue hence the 5k bulbs this time. I had read some complaints about the HID's turning on properly so I was going to try to re-use the old relay harness I originally purchased for my bike.

It's even got a built in fuse for added safety.

What's great about the SC300 is that the battery is in the front of the engine bay. The bike harness was a shorter length wiring so it fit perfectly being that the battery was literally right next to the lights.

What's even better is that the body plug that went to my stock 9005's fit right into the relay harness's plug for power to the relay.

Mounted the left ballast next to the stock air filter box. Velcro worked perfect for this.

I ran the relay wiring harness through the radiator ducting on the top, underneath the plastic piece that covers it all up.

The right ballast I mounted on the plastic battery cover:

Fired it up and it worked flawlessly! This was the easiest mod I've ever done and I was kinda worried about finding a good mounting point for the ballasts, running the wiring, cutting and soldering etc etc. But none of this was necessary with the harness and I know for sure that the 55watt ballasts are getting full power at startup which was the whole reason I did this.

It's still day light so I don't have any night time pics to show the color, but it looks def more white then blue. I read online that the 55watt ballasts produce 30-40% more light output so this can wash the color out a bit.

Just sharing my 60 buck mod today . I'm slowly doing small mods to the car and wanted to share some pix if anyone was looking to do a HID/ DDMtuning install in the future.
Old 03-29-11, 10:09 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ddm ftw!!!
Old 03-29-11, 10:32 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
Ddm ftw!!!
!!!!!

Seriously guys, the harness is $12.50 and it makes your life easier. Make some coffee and install HID's, very simple.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HI...Wiring-Harness

From DDMtuning:

"Use this relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably. Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittent starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again.

Recommended for all 50W HID installations but most American and European cars work at 35W/50W without the harness. The harness is definitely recommended for Quad's and other ATVs or when running multiple HID installations. This harness is a fused relay isolation harness capable of supplying 20A at 12vdc. "

"This harness will allow you to use HIDs and other high power lighting on your car when the wire gauge on your car's headlight wiring may not be suitable. This harness is made with 14 gauge stranded wire and features a 40 amp relay and a fused power and ground to draw current directly from your car's battery or power point. HIDs require 6 amps of current in an instantaneous draw. While the current draw of an operating HID kit is no more, and usually less, than halogen bulbs, the instantaneous current draw required to power up the ballast and ignite the HID bulb is often more than the thin wiring on some cars can supply. This harness will correct that problem. For computerized cars with bulb out detection, this harness may be required alone or in conjunction with our BOW Bulb Out Warning eliminators. "
Old 03-29-11, 11:45 AM
1993sc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered the same kit with harness got any pics of yours on?
Old 03-29-11, 11:58 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I never used that harness kit, and i have been fine for 3 years so far. DDM is very slow but for the price and its output it is amazing. Luckily i have one local
Old 03-29-11, 12:41 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1993sc300
Just ordered the same kit with harness got any pics of yours on?
I'll try and get some tonight.

The relay / harness probably isn't crucial, but it definitely makes the install easier and has a piece of mind factor.
Old 03-29-11, 12:51 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That ballast is tiny!
Old 03-29-11, 02:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

IM in for the night pictures
Old 03-29-11, 07:54 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Got some night pix, color is on point, the left light does needs to come a bit:

Overall fairly happy , it's definitely not a sharp cutoff and is only blinding if you kneel down in front of the car. Wish I could do a retro fit to get a nice distribution of light like HID's should but this was definitely an easy mod.

Money shot :
Old 03-29-11, 08:05 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm any further shots? your cutoff line SHOULD be sharper than that.

Mine are pretty sharp
Old 03-29-11, 08:08 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

The camera seemed to blend the light. I couldn't properly capture the way they projected onto the garage door. It definitely looks better in person.

The passenger headlight could use some refreshing on the lense. I noticed that the drivers side was "whiter" colored and sharper light output then the passenger.
Old 03-29-11, 09:03 PM
LXLUTHR
Lead Lap

I have the same set up, 5k 55w for my lows/fogs...AWESOME light output
Old 03-29-11, 11:14 PM
supratp23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LXLTHUR
I have the same set up, 5k 55w for my lows/fogs...AWESOME light output
what bulb temp? like 6k or 8k etc?
Old 03-29-11, 11:42 PM
LXLUTHR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by supratp23
what bulb temp? like 6k or 8k etc?
DDM 55 Watt 5,000k Digital Slim Ballast...I wouldn't trade it for any other temp rating. Well, that's just me...I want the most light output I can get and don't really want any color. Pure White
Old 03-30-11, 12:29 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run 2 sets of 55w on my headlights and I run the wiring harness + a 20 amp fuse coz the stock fuse kept blowing. Couldnt handle the power i guess lol. Better safe than sorry

Quick Reply: DDMtuning 5k 55watt HID Install - Easiest mod done to date