SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need Help! White smoke from exhaust and check engine light!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 07:40 AM
Menaceeffe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! White smoke from exhaust and check engine light!

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and did a little research last night on my own. I have a feeling that it could be the ecu as i have seen that these cars have some problems with those.
I have a 92 sc300 that had a 2jgzte swap when I bought it.
I have driven it for 2 years with very little problems.
I recently replaced the alternator and since then I have had issues with the battery light flashing on and off and whenever this happens it is accompanied by an increase in the ac speed without touching and the idle is ruff. I was under the impression that this might have been cause by a falty connector for the alternator, but with recent research I think it may be more then that.
This has been an issue for about 3 to 4 months and as of yesterday the idle has been dropping below 1000 rpm and shaking pretty bad. I get a white smoke from the exhaust and it smells like strong gasoline. I stalled out at the grocery store last night and the check engine light came on and i was thinking i blew my engine or something of that nature (head gasket). It wouldnt turn on, but i waited a few minutes and it started up and then i drove it home right away.(only live a block away or so) So with that being said if it is a blown head gasket i dont think i could of done too much damage to it. Any help at all would be much appreciated, I know I have rambled a bit, but just trying to be as thorough as possible. I can also take pics of anything needed in helping assist with the diagnosis of this problem.
Thanks a lot guys.
Old 03-07-11, 07:50 AM
Menaceeffe
Driver School Candidate

Well, with a bit more reading around I decided to order a 92 gs300 ecu to see if that is the problem with the car, any other input or suggestions would be much appreciated
Old 03-07-11, 08:11 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Menaceeffe
Well, with a bit more reading around I decided to order a 92 gs300 ecu to see if that is the problem with the car, any other input or suggestions would be much appreciated
I'm assuming you mean GTE aristo ecu?
Old 03-07-11, 11:26 AM
kraven9
Lead Lap

Did you read the code for the CEL?
Old 03-07-11, 01:36 PM
Menaceeffe
Driver School Candidate

No I havent been able to do anything else really have been researching a lot and was hoping that was my problem figure i would spend a quick hundred bucks and if it didnt work just to go from there, thats why I was trying to get somefeedback first but opted to just try it incase. and on the ecu i was looking and people had said that the gs300 ecu could be replaced for the sc300 I have a 2jgze which is what i meant to put
Old 03-10-11, 09:54 AM
Menaceeffe
Driver School Candidate

Well I hooked up the new ecu today. The car started up and the idle reved up to about 2000 or 2300 rpms which is not good. There was a little bit of white smoke from the exhaust and the car is still running a little rich and there is a check engine light. Not sure of the exact problem still hoping it isnt a blown head... Ive checked the oil and under the oil cap and havent seen any traces of coolant or any milky like substance. Im going to take apart the old ecu and see if the capacitors arent blown... I could use any other suggestions
Old 03-10-11, 10:15 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe the idle air control valve? I know mine went bad and made my car idle really oddly. Also, does it normally idle above 1000 rpms when warm? That doesn't sound right either...
Old 03-10-11, 11:16 AM
Menaceeffe
Driver School Candidate

Ok thats something I will have to check too. Before I switched the Ecu the idle was around 800 rpm - 900 rpm but sometimes it dipped lower and thats what was starting to happen and it stalled out and check engine light so i switched the ecu and things still dont seem right so im also trying to open the original ecu to see if the capacitors or bad or any internal damage but cant seem to get these screws out
Old 03-10-11, 11:50 AM
RSTSpeed
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know, but honestly dude that sounds like some sort of sensor that's gone bad... maybe even an O2 sensor, I don't know. Haha, sorry, I know that's not much help. Just throwing out some ideas.
Old 03-10-11, 12:50 PM
Menaceeffe
Driver School Candidate

Haha yeh man appreciate it, more then likely Ima have to get it down the street to find out what codes its throwing and stuff need to have someone look at it...
Old 03-10-11, 12:58 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try pulling the code to see why the engine light is on. That will lead you to the right direction.

You will need to jump terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostic port in the engine bay.
Old 03-10-11, 01:23 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

I'd look for a ground not grounded properly. Or maybe the belt is too tight?