SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 07:59 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the general consensus is that this is either too much money and / or too much risk. The paint on the front bumper isn't falling off, it looks like it was scraped on a high parking curb, which is pretty much what you will see on most CA cars that are in larger cities. Unfortunately, it looks like that's where me 10 year long dream of owning a lexus ends, $6K is my ceiling for a car right now (not because I can't afford a higher payment, but it's not smart, just bought a house) All that is out there in that price range in my area are older ones with 19XXXX-24XXXX and I don't really want a car with the better half of it's life gone. Yes I know they will go to 300K, but the 200-300K is a much more expensive 100K miles than 100-200. Older than 98 really scares me too, just because rubber everything / insulation parts start to deteriorate and chasing down a pinhole leak in a vacuum hose buried in 100 others is like visiting the catacombs of hell. I may go drive it and offer him $4800 (I won't be insulting, I'll roll it out the American Pickers way and do the whole "I'm at about $4700" range). Or maybe I'll just start looking for the old boring Honda accord....
Old 03-03-11, 09:54 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude seriously the 1999 SC4 Blk/Blk is a nice car. But stay far away from that one. Even at 4k. This one has a Salvage from almost new? Look for another SC. Seriously. Lot of them out there just dont let one with a few more miles scare you away.

I had a salvage title SC once. It was my first SC too. You'll regret buying that *****. Tweaked unibody, subframe. Car never felt right. And you will sink money into it. Everyone does. You'll just be polishing a turd.

If you just have to have it make sure your insurance will accept a salvage title car. More and more nowadays wont.

Good luck on your search dude.
Old 03-03-11, 10:33 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lfrers
Dude seriously the 1999 SC4 Blk/Blk is a nice car. But stay far away from that one. Even at 4k. This one has a Salvage from almost new? Look for another SC. Seriously. Lot of them out there just dont let one with a few more miles scare you away.

I had a salvage title SC once. It was my first SC too. You'll regret buying that *****. Tweaked unibody, subframe. Car never felt right. And you will sink money into it. Everyone does. You'll just be polishing a turd.

If you just have to have it make sure your insurance will accept a salvage title car. More and more nowadays wont.

Good luck on your search dude.
I offered him $5300, said he had other offers, I broke down the details, how much for a t-belt service, ect button, climate screen, tax & license and how much that would cost me, it would be about $2600 more, so, 8600 after it's all said and done, that's not a deal. Just found a 95, just had the t-belt service, and full tune up. 118k original miles. Guy is willing to go $4800 on it, it isn't currently registered. He apparently has two with the same mileage, same year, same price, different colors, so I'm a little weary about if he actually had timing belt services on both. Neither of them are registered, but he said he would take care of that, I don't really know if I trust that too much.
Old 03-03-11, 10:40 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scottys209
I offered him $5300, said he had other offers, I broke down the details, how much for a t-belt service, ect button, climate screen, tax & license and how much that would cost me, it would be about $2600 more, so, 8600 after it's all said and done, that's not a deal. Just found a 95, just had the t-belt service, and full tune up. 118k original miles. Guy is willing to go $4800 on it, it isn't currently registered. He apparently has two with the same mileage, same year, same price, different colors, so I'm a little weary about if he actually had timing belt services on both. Neither of them are registered, but he said he would take care of that, I don't really know if I trust that too much.
get receipts! everything he says is BS if theres no receipts
Old 03-03-11, 10:50 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

well I wouldnt give up on this 99 just yet.

In case your not aware there were only 905 99 sc400's made---so they are extremely rare and quite valuable.

With that aside the main issue here is of course the salvage title.

It doesnt take much for a car to get a salvage title-------find out exactly what work has been done to it---get paper work and get your mechanic to look at it.

The steering wheel issue and that console issue doesnt seem right to me---why wouldnt they fix that console piece--i can see that it is bent---and why the steering wheel repalcement.

A 99 sc400 with low mileage is a gem-

--for whoever used the chipped paint on the front bumper as a reason not to buy it -----that is so minor its not worth mentioning.

What does the dealer say abotu the accident that it had? Has he given u any details about it?
Old 03-03-11, 10:51 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was likely in a bad accident with the airbags deployed (reason for older steering wheel). I would pass.
Old 03-03-11, 10:59 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't ever buy a salvage title if you actually need to use the car. If it's a track/project car, sure. But you don't sound like you have the money to sink into this SC to make it a reliable DD.
Old 03-03-11, 11:13 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

a car can be labeled a 'salvage' for many reasons---doesnt necessarily mean it was in a severe accident----although alot of things are pointing to that in this case--he needs to find out what happened exactly---------because there is no obvious damage that I can see---engine bay looks clean and has straight lines-----cars lines and fenders seem to lineup----im curious as to what happened.
Old 03-03-11, 11:16 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

Originally Posted by QwkSC
Don't ever buy a salvage title if you actually need to use the car. If it's a track/project car, sure. But you don't sound like you have the money to sink into this SC to make it a reliable DD.
It's not really that I don't have it, it's more a matter of I could really use to not spend that much as my home needs a new kitchen, etc, and I don't want to sink $3K into a $6k car when the NADA value is $11K for retail clean title. Would a 95 even be reliable at this point, say, able to jump in and go for a 600 mile drive without worries that its gonna break?
Old 03-03-11, 11:21 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
a car can be labeled a 'salvage' for many reasons---doesnt necessarily mean it was in a severe accident----although alot of things are pointing to that in this case--he needs to find out what happened exactly---------because there is no obvious damage that I can see---engine bay looks clean and has straight lines-----cars lines and fenders seem to lineup----im curious as to what happened.
Either way, if he does buy this salvage car its always going to salvage no matter what.

It's not really that I don't have it, it's more a matter of I could really use to not spend that much as my home needs a new kitchen, etc, and I don't want to sink $3K into a $6k car when the NADA value is $11K for retail clean title. Would a 95 even be reliable at this point, say, able to jump in and go for a 600 mile drive without worries that its gonna break?
Yes just because its newer does not mean its in better shape than older cars just the way it was maintain. If you do NOT plan on selling the car ( which i doubt ) PASS.

Say you do plan on getting this and then in a bit you are going to sell the car. Wouldn't the people who want to buy this car ask the same questions and probably receive the same response which is pass.
Old 03-03-11, 11:22 AM
QwkSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on the car, My 92 made 2 1000 mile drives last year without a problem, But It been in my family 20 years and I know it's complete service history.
Old 03-03-11, 12:14 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Unless the guy offers me some smoking deal, I'm gonna pass.
Old 03-03-11, 12:17 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Salvage means the cost to repair out weighs the cost to replace or the frame was tweaked/bent. Think about how hard you have to plow a car that was 1 year told to do that.

It wouldnt matter if they made 7 of them in 1999, the fact is its still a salvage title car, and it will still be a huge PITA to ever sell for just that reason.
Old 03-03-11, 12:39 PM
scottys209
Pole Position

Man, I can't find any good SC400's around here. I $5500 in my pocket and can't find any good ones....ugh!
Old 03-03-11, 01:16 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Get more money.

Quick Reply: Should I buy?