SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bad Power Steering Pump?? **VIDEO**

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-11, 11:13 AM
jer_con
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just don't want a fellow member to fall into the $$ pit like I did but hey, we live and learn right? The only description you gave in your first post was that you flushed the system because your PS was having 'issues'. If you can describe in more detail, I'm sure we could help you better pinpoint the problem. If it was just seeping around the pump it shouldn't be a big enough deal to cause the bubbling after a flush. I ran my pump with a seep for years and no problem. Bottom line is one of two things, either you have the wrong fluid or just air in the system that needs to be bled out. These things can be a real bear to bleed so read up on the correct procedures. What exactly did you remove to flush out the system?
Old 03-03-11, 08:33 PM
CanadaSC
Driver School Candidate

It is my pump for sure, I took my air box off the other day and saw a large amount of bubbling coming from the area i posted pictures too. I think it may just be a seal in the PS assembly itself after some investigation. Since the first post I have figured out that right now my pump is affecting the system. When I take the pump out hopefully I will see where the fluid is leaking from
Old 03-04-11, 03:28 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like woodworking going on like sanding or a table saw. LOL mine is doing that too. but i just add more fluid and its good. then it leaks and makes that sound again. i really wanna do a steering rack swap with another one that's quick ratio and manual rack and just get rid of that BS all together.. or if there is an actual fix for this crap that would be great too.
Old 03-07-11, 05:44 AM
CanadaSC
Driver School Candidate

Well on Saturday I ended up going to the junk yard and getting a pump and reservoir off of a 93 Sc4 for 80$ (an 80$ gamble but it’s better than paying 400$ for a rebuilt one without the reservoir. Anyways got around to changing it out Sunday and surprisingly it is not that difficult at all. It took about 2.5 - 3 hrs total to change the pump and to install the new one, and to bleed the system again. So far (knock on wood) the pump has been functioning correctly and it feels great to have power steering again. Here is just a quick picture of what I think of my old pump and some of you will feel the same way about this with me!

Btw thank you guys for all the advice on this topic