SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Quality aftermarket headlights. Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-11, 07:49 PM
brad11140
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quality aftermarket headlights. Which ones?

Ok so I refinished my old headlights. Very happy with how they came out. Apparently there is a crack in the passenger side. Went through the car wash and now its full of condensation.

So... I have heard bad things about the eBay headlights. I like the way they look but I want something that fits good and is not a PITA to figure out for install. I know OEM's are best, but what would you guys suggest?
Old 02-13-11, 08:05 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The only aftermarket lights are the ebay lights, it doesn't matter who or where you buy them from the lights are all the same. I was going to buy them anyway and get by with them but I've decided to deline my stock lights instead. Are you sure you have a crack ? Could the seal have gone bad ? When I reseal mine I'm going to use 3m ribbon adhesive like what is used for mounting windshields. I've read great things about it on supraforums. Check here for cheap used lights http://www.car-part.com/ I've seen them for surprisingly cheap on here.
Old 02-13-11, 08:19 PM
MIKU*SC3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got the $$ you can get the ones from clear corners.
Those are the only ones i would get if i had the money that is. lol
Old 02-13-11, 08:30 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

God, a set of headlights and taillights costs as much as my whole car! Those lights better come with a little Japanese woman that gives you a hand job when you use them for that much money.
Old 02-13-11, 08:40 PM
brad11140
Pole Position

holy cow. Does that say $1750 for a pair of clear corner headlights. Think Ill either spend the $300 for some more OEM's or buy the eBays. Sheesh.

Yeah I can see a crack in the lens. Very fine, but its there.
Old 02-13-11, 08:43 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Seriously check the link I posted, I saw headlights as cheap as $65 on there. They might need some tlc but its better than plunking down a pile of cash for one.
Old 02-13-11, 09:44 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

Ok, before you get ahead of yourself you need to check out this site http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ and this site http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
I know the thought of taking apart your headlights sounds scary and overwhelming because even after being a tech at toyota and an car audio installer at ultimate electronics and car toys, the thought of opening up my headlight still freaked me out but I finally did it and I can honestly say that that working on headlights is easier than installing a basic cd player.
In your case, unless you have actually seen a crack in your headlight then most likely fatbrian is right. You can find a lot of good info on how to go about fixing them on the hidplanet site I mentioned and then buy what you need from the retrofit source, and if you have any questions you cant find answers to on hidplanet the phone # for the guys at retrofit is posted on their site and they are the most helpful guys ive ever worked with. But whatever you do, dont buy those dog**** ebay headlights. Those are the biggest pieces junk and I know you'll hate em. They might look cool but the projectors are junk. Oh and btw, clear corners is an absolute rip off. Those $1700 headlights are the OEM headlights with some led's and clear lenses. Ive seen them in person and was in disbelief that those greedy *******s are actually getting away with such a scam. I really hope no one has ever bought those.
Old 02-13-11, 09:49 PM
MattStarr
Lead Lap

BTW, if you really do have a crack and need a new headlight check out this site http://www.alltoyotalexusparts.com/ they have pretty much anything you will ever need.
Old 02-13-11, 09:56 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
God, a set of headlights and taillights costs as much as my whole car! Those lights better come with a little Japanese woman that gives you a hand job when you use them for that much money.
LMAO she better come with a perfect set of teeth too
Old 02-13-11, 10:05 PM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xknowonex
LMAO she better come with a perfect set of teeth too
The prettiest teeth you've ever comed across ?
Old 02-13-11, 11:13 PM
brad11140
Pole Position

Hey I appreciate the input guys. You've given me a good place to start.
Old 02-14-11, 01:17 AM
ScBouncE
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you should get some used oem ones and than compound them an buff them. theylll come out looking brand new. an its dirt cheap
Old 02-14-11, 05:33 AM
ShibbySC4
Rookie

For some reason everytime I go to the junkyard that has an SC the headlights are always there and in rather good condition. And like ScBouncE said, compound and buff 'em out. Way better than some ebay knockoffs.
Old 02-14-11, 06:03 AM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

<------------- got some ebay lights for sale with hid if ur intersted pm BTW thier in my sig
Old 03-20-11, 12:34 AM
boney31
Driver School Candidate

i got these ebay lights an i think it may depend on who u buy from i got. highbeams from a diff seller an the high beams fit is ok but the look great.
lights sit pretty flush

the headlights (low beams) look decent an fitment sucks an u cant level without them shinning in trees but the light at night looks great. i was thinking maybe just use the brackets from the oem ones or just put this clear glass on the oem lamps.

Quick Reply: Quality aftermarket headlights. Which ones?